Honda Monkey 125 ABS - 2018

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Seeside, Oct 27, 2017.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I did exactly 215 miles. Home sweet home! Yeah it was cold but the hard part was the head wind. Holly cow! It really slowed me down. That and hills. My speed was all over the place. I saw as much as 63 mph and as low as 40 mph. I actually dropped back to 3rd gear on some hills. The Monkey will pull easily past 45 mph in 3rd gear.

The forks are very soft compared to the GROM. It's okay with me though. The roads are really bad in Houston and I thought the Monkey did pretty good in and around potholes. The OEM tires have a lot of grip. That was a nice surprise. The seat has got to be the most comfortable seat other than the one on the Gold Wing. The Monkey is VERY comfortable. I slightly rotated the handlebar forward and the riding position is now perfect for me. It's better than the riding position on the GROM because the handlebar is taller.

I have been thinking about add ons and I think the only thing I want to add at this point is the OEM rack. I think I will leave the bike 100% stock.

The Monkey is a blast!

[​IMG]
  2. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    It's getting crowded...

:lol3

[​IMG]
  3. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    @cabanza - you have such good taste! And an understanding spouse.
  4. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    My wife is an angel! Really. She never fusses about my obvious addiction :lol3
    Still, it would be nice if I could sell one of my bikes. 4 is hard to manage (for me anyway).
  5. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Ok, I know this is bragging but I just wanted to share that I have a Honda OEM Monkey helmet. I bought it on webike a couple of years ago because I liked the looks of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NSFW, Ginger Beard, BigCanoe and 2 others like this.
  6. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Didn't they have one with the YELLOW stripe to match the bike ? :fpalm

:D
  7. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    D’oh! :lol3

Little did I know I’d buy a YELLOW Monkey a couple of years later :lol3
  8. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Vespa Man

Oddometer:
    Mine had 1, yours was hand carried off the boat :)
    villageidiot likes this.
  9. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I think mine came in a crate ;)
    YJake likes this.
  10. Jeephoto

Jeephoto Low Post Old-Timer

Oddometer:
    I'm really taking a shine to the Monkey; I sit on it everytime I go in my local dealer. My wife likes it too, so maybe it won't take much convincing her to buy one.

The Question I can't seem to answer is, "Why should I own a Monkey"?

Is it a secondary roads commuter? Fat tire dirt-bike for easy trails and sand? Street-legal small bike to throw in the truck to ride around vacation locations?

I can really see me riding the Dallas-Ft Worth suburbs, and trucking a Monkey to the beaches of Galveston, or the little mountain towns in northern New Mexico.
  11. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're asking the wrong question, "why shouldn't I own two Monkeys?" Maybe you live in an area where you can find mini bike friends, but it's a lot funner to ride when you have an extra one for wife/friends/family. :1drink
    TurTal and BigCanoe like this.
  12. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Vespa Man

Oddometer:
    If black and blue come here, then I will need 4, its like Pokemon...
    drbuzzard and Ginger Beard like this.
  13. Ride1st

Ride1st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All of the above. I'm getting a 2nd one for the wife next week. I couldn't see them as our only bikes though. We will put them in the van when we go camping and use them for exploring back roads. I might ride mine to work on occasion. Any longer distances or overnight trips we will be taking bigger bikes.
    Jeephoto likes this.
  14. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
  15. Ride1st

Ride1st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saddleman adventure rear bag. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/saddlemen-adventure-rear-rack-bag

It fits really well on the G-Craft rack. The front of the bag is slightly wider and hangs over the edge on either side by a little more than an inch. It tapers to the width of the rack at the back and the length is almost exactly the same as the rack at 8"
    Florida Lime likes this.
  16. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Vespa Man

Oddometer:
    New upgrades...G-Craft rack, H2C windshield, MNNTHBX quick release seat plugs. Everything seems very nice, fits well, installation was pretty straight forward. I got the rack and windshield off ebay and the plugs direct. I am thinking of getting a Wolfman tailbag for the rack, not sure.
    Capture.JPG
    Clem Fandango, Scoobynut and Dav101 like this.
  17. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a Super Cub 125 and currently own a Grom. The Monkey has tickled my fancy since its release but have managed to keep it at bay since I own a Grom. However after getting the Super Cub 125 i quickly figured out Honda has this retro thing nailed and I typically don't even do retro. So I am pretty sure I will be adding a Monkey to my fleet likely in August or a little later. Maybe with a bit of luck I can work a bit of a deal as the season is winding down!

As for color I have always been a bit of a traditionalist and for Honda that color is red. However the yellow really does look good and its a Monkey. Monkey's eat bananas and bananas are yellow. Probably take the savings and pass on ABS unless its all they have!
  18. Ride1st

Ride1st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you decide on yellow it will not have ABS. Honda is only offering ABS on the faster red models.:ricky
  19. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have heard this and like i said i will likely pass on it and take the savings. However I could have sworn i have seen a picture of a yellow bike with ABS?

All my dealer has gotten so far is red and currently has like 4 of them and zero interest since everyone wants yellow. Well some interest but everyone balks at the price. Unfortunately it is what is is and honestly its really not that bad in today's dollars. Probably going to be easier to get an honest deal on a red one. Will decide later in the year as right now I need to pay down the Super Cub 125. Targeting August and typically summer is earnings season but if I am a bit short maybe Spring next year?
  20. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Vespa Man

Oddometer:
    How do you like the Super Cub? I assume its about as fast (or as slow) as the Monkey?