Honda Monkey 125 ABS - 2018

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Seeside, Oct 27, 2017.

1. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far its fairly impressive. Handles like a bicycle and has plenty of power to spare in any residential area. Seems to have better gear ratios then the Grom but not sure on the Monkey? On my 2014 Grom 1-3 gear are fine but 4th gear is about 2 gear ratios too tall. The Cub is fairly linear. Seems to have a bit more low end torque then the Grom. Its no speed demon obviously but definitely not your fathers Honda Cub. I remember riding some of the old ones and it seemed like they could barely get out of their own way. The new Super Cub is worlds ahead of that in performance. Like the Monkey fit and finish are also first rate and not a cheap piece of plastic anywhere on the bike.

Only thing that takes some getting used to is it has a clutch less manual transmission. Its 4 up and then 4 back down and neutral is at the very bottom. Its fairly smooth for this type of transmission and works well but it does take some time to figure it out. Especially on the downshift!
    BigCanoe and Ginger Beard like this.
  2. AC909

AC909 Great Job!

Oddometer:
    Almost broke 200 miles on my little yeller Monkey today. Feels better the more the motor gets broken in. 20190317_150948.jpg
    drbuzzard, DucaIan, TurTal and 3 others like this.
  3. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have seen pics of yellow ABS. The ABS is mandated in Europe, so all of them have it. The front brake on the standard model has far better feel than the ABS model (longer take up, spongier). Plus, there is just about no damn way to lock the front, even on dirt and gravel you have to really try, or just be ham fisted. Not worth the 5 lbs and $200 penatly IMO.. (but uhm, I only paid $4K for mine, so only the 5lb and crappier feel penalty)
  4. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it must have been a European spec yellow Monkey with ABS that I have seen a pic of. My dealer has yet to get a Yellow Monkey in stock but I believe they have one coming in May. Because of availability it will probably end up being a red bike and I think the red looks good as well.

Sounds like the front brake feels much the same as the new Super Cub 125. Its as you describe with more throw and less feel then what I experience on my Grom. Likely the same ABS hardware between them. I really don't feel the need for ABS on a bike like the Monkey. I did lock up the front on my Grom once in the rain with the stock tires but it was controllable by just putting my feet down. Nothing bad came from it. These neighborhood blasters just don't really need it. In fact I am of a generation where ABS was never an option on any motorcycle and for the most part not really needed on most others. It will likely not save you from going down in a real world situation anyway. I am not anti ABS and if a bike comes with it great but its not something I will buy as an option. It is a safety enhancement but I still its better to learn how to ride and stop without it!
  5. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Do you feel you get heat from the Yoshi pipe? It's a really sweet looking muffler with cool details.
    BigCanoe and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. AC909

AC909 Great Job!

Oddometer:
    No heat at all. It's still quite a good distance from your body. The tone sounds like an XR600! I have the optional quite insert on order from Yoshimura now for stealth runs.
  7. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Monkey Vespa Man

Oddometer:
  8. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
  9. Scoobynut

Scoobynut Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Just my opinion, of course, but talk about turning a silk purse into a sow's ear.
  10. Ride1st

Ride1st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The yellow one is home! She thinks it's better than my red one. Women, what do they know:hmmmmm
    [​IMG]
  11. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    They know that the yellow one is better :lol3
  12. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Kudos to the wife for looking like she meets the design spec for the stock suspension. :clap
    Ride1st likes this.
  13. Ride1st

Ride1st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We spend lots of miles pedaling bicycles. Ohlins shocks arrived today for mine. At 6'3" 180 lbs. I'm not exactly what you would call fat, but not who the Monkey suspension was designed for.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  14. AC909

AC909 Great Job!

Oddometer:
    Please let us know what you think of them. I've been looking for a real review and can't seem to find anything. Also, if you could look and see if the top of the shock is the same width of the stock, for those that want to use the Ohlins with a rear rack, I would REALLY appreciate it!
  15. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    That's been answered more than a few times, the answer is yes. There are more Monkey reviews on YouTube than you can shake a stick at. Sure most of them are guys tooling around neighborhoods, but if you want to see some average joe thoughts (not magazine editors) and something other than paved roads... see here..

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPWndFVDUlqfSXNkI0rqu8cikAZCyBOFm

also, more info here.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-honda-monkey-thread.1321471/

and here.
    https://hondamonkeys.com/forums/
    BigCanoe likes this.
  16. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Monkey Vespa Man

Oddometer:
    They say the red one is faster...I cannot confirm this :)
  17. Ride1st

Ride1st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So easy a monkey could install them. I took a short ride without spending any time making adjustments. A definite improvement. Fork springs will be next to give a more balanced ride.
    IMG_1495.jpg
  18. Ride1st

Ride1st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a short ride on the yellow bike I can confirm the non abs front brakes feel better. Which one is faster? Probably whichever one my wife is riding since I weigh 50 pounds more.
  19. AC909

AC909 Great Job!

Oddometer:
    Been to all of those. Thanks for all the super sweet links! :thumbup
  20. AC909

AC909 Great Job!

Oddometer:
    Awesome looking setup @Ride1st ! Thanks for the pic with rack installed.