1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Honda Monkey 125 ABS - 2018

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Seeside, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Dav101

Dav101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WDG, drbuzzard, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  2. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody on this side not reading the thumpers thread and is/are knowledgeable on modding this platform?

I'm looking at doing a big bore 181 Takegawa, with their clutch cover, oil cooler, HD oil pump, and want to run it just using an ECU flash from DH Motoring(186 ECU flash with PCX injector).

If it runs hot then it certainly won't like the desert running, rock climbing, and sand blasting I'm doing.

Looking for more low end torque, possibly sticking to stock gearing still, and be able to cruise at 55 mph all day on the street.

What do you think? Is this feasible or just building a bomb waiting to go off?
  3. BlackMarch

BlackMarch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just grab a CT 125 instead, it's a much better choice for deserts, rock climbing and sand blasting.
    Chillis likes this.
  4. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I'd say yet to be determined. They increased rear sprocket by one tooth and have tuning for more "torque." Can't see it being better than the Super Cub I already had as far as the auto clutch is concerned. I'd rather have the manual clutch and chubby floating tires.

We'll see when they arrive. I'm sure somebody I know will get one and we can test them out.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  5. BlackMarch

Oddometer:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5tRaoiG6vz5V-xAi91Ep4g

He's done a lot of videos already, big dude, if it works for him it should work for basically anyone.
    Chillis likes this.
  6. Chillis

Oddometer:
    You should see some of the stuff I go through. The skinny tires of the CT would sink.

Plus clutch work needed to get over ruts and rocks. The CT wouldn't have that capability at all.

PXL_20201017_202711268.jpg

PXL_20201017_220103918.jpg

PXL_20201013_200142259.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201013_210323504.jpg

I never take pics in the worst terrain as the bike would fall over in deep sand or heavy gravel.

PXL_20201017_165454030.jpg

PXL_20201011_165259779.PORTRAIT.jpg
  7. Chillis

Oddometer:
  8. BlackMarch

Oddometer:
    Well, I certainly don't see anything there which the CT would even remotely struggle with.

And the CT tires are narrow so they sink in, because when they sink easily you can find grip underneath. Both narrow and wide tires work very well offroad, for opposite reasons.
    Inoplanetyanin likes this.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The last pic, rocky uphill, without a clutch to modulate you'd just run out of power.

Deep sand, I don't have any sort of foot added to the sidestand to stop in the deep stuff for pics.

I've had the Super Cub and now have the Monkey.

The Monkey smokes it off road.

I get that there are some tasteful attributes to the CT but for what I'm doing the Monkey is going to be my choice. I can't see where the CT can really better it other than .2 gallons more fuel and better ground clearance due to exhaust design and possibly being up slightly higher due to a little bit bigger OAD of wheels and tires.

CT will have a less flexible seating position: no clutch to modulate or shift smoothly: has 40 lbs more weight: tubes to deal with for flat tires: less available mods due to clutch cover design.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  10. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Besides the oil cooler use the finned cam cover and valve cover. I have those on both my Monkey and SuperCub.
    Chillis likes this.
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Not sure why there isn't a big fin head with the big bore kits.
  12. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

Here in FL, sinking in to find traction would result in a bike sitting on its skid plate, while the rear wheel spins in open air. :lol3
    Chillis likes this.
  13. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will the CT125 be faster than the Monkey? I know my Monkey wouldn’t keep pace in a 55mph zone if hills were involved. (@Chillis mentioned he wanted to cruise at 55mph all day on the street)
    Chillis likes this.
  14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I guess I shouldn't set my sights too high on cruise speed.

When I'm cruising up the local big mountain I drop down to mid to high 30's mph in 3rd gear. That is just up over 6,000 ft elevation. It was the same exact speeds as my Super Cub.

Performance has actually been almost identical to the Super Cub except for smoother shifting and much better fuel economy.

Super Cub was 100 to 110 mpg.

Monkey is 100 to 122 mpg.

As much as I want the big bore I'm thinking to just stay stock bore and do the full compliment of accessories: intake, cam, exhaust, and ECU flash.

Slap an oil cooler on for good measure.