Honda Monkey 125 ABS - 2018

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Seeside, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    MTake and Hot Lap exhaust on the way.

Will have suspension done this week.

Got some Drow Motorsports heat sink valve and cam gear covers.

Will have to order an ECU as well.

If that doesn't get me what I need then I'll toss in the cam and high comp piston.
    Ginger Beard and alex4515 like this.
  2. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like CJR doesn't have a flash for my set up. I'm gonna use the Enimga Type-V piggy back and tune it myself. These new piggy back system are getting fancy, connects to bluetooth and you can make your own map via app on smartphone. I'll have to weld on a O2 bung for my wide band set up that I have. I'm guessing with only the 181cc 10.5:1 compression everything else stock except the Takegawa P-shooter exhaust (street legal in Japan, so very mild) and PCX150 injector it'll be about 12HP. Don't want much more than that.
    Ginger Beard and Chillis like this.
  3. Chillis

Oddometer:
    DH Motoring has an ECU tune for 186cc but for some reason they still said to use an engine management unit like A-Racer.

"For your application I would honestly recommend going with a standalone unit, such as the aRacer Mini5 and AF1 package. It’s not exactly cheap (Around $720 for everything you’d need) but it will help keep running conditions ideal at all times. I’d also highly recommend an oil cooler with that kit, especially since you’ll be off-road and may not see a lot of air flow to the motor. The PCX injector is definitely necessary for the 181 kit. Hope this helps!"

Referring to Takegawa 181 kit.

I'll be interested in your results.

I wouldn't mind keeping stock cam, big injector, big bore, cooler, oil pump and not needing anything else other than ECU flash and probably that crank support bearing too.
  4. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Already have the crank support bearing in the Monkey and SuperCub (staying stock), think I have the Takegawa oil pump sitting somewhere, need to find it.

The aRacer package is an "autotune" that they also recommended for me. Guess that is the lazy way of doing it so you don't have to spend time fiddling with the fueling.
    Chillis likes this.
  5. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    Do you guys keep track of the dollars you put in these bikes or is that something you'd rather not know?:lol3
    villageidiot and Chillis like this.
  6. Chillis

Oddometer:
    So far I'm at $1500 for full suspension upgrade, intake, exhaust, hydraulic clutch kit.

If it wasn't so much fun I'd take the money somewhere else.
  7. Chillis

Oddometer:
    What is anybody who off roads using for tires?

Only off road style tire available I'm the stock size appears to be the SL60 Pirelli, a Mitas tire, Kenda K762.

Knobby tires are all shorter sidewall.
  8. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride as much off road as on. Personally the tires make almost no difference to what the bike can do. Wheel size, power, short suspension, all factor into that. I don't ride in sloppy deep mud, but just about everything else. First new set I put on was the Mitas MC19, still have the front on (more than 2000 miles now). The Mitas are actually a pretty nice soft compound and grip very well (they are listed as a dirt track tire). I just took off a Shinko 505 on the rear. So friggin loud on pavement and hardpack couldn't stand it. Has 500 miles on it, you want it? (I have a 505 on my Husaberg, it's fine in that application). Put Pirelli SL60 on. So far so good. I'll stick with the Mitas or Pirelli, much better handling, noise, grip, etc than shorter profile knobby. To me the Mitas/Pirelli are pretty much same/same for handling, tread design, etc.
    Chillis likes this.
  9. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    About half the cost of the bike by now I think. Got Ohlins front/back, exhaust, BBK coming, etc.
  10. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Pirelli SL60 is looking like the choice for me!

I've got just over 1,000 miles on the stock tires.
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    These Monkey threads keep sinking!

Got a few of the parts in for upgrading.

Heat sink valve and cam covers. MNNTHBX MTake.

Still waiting on the front suspension tool to get that done.

Exhaust won't be here until second week of November. Kind of nervous about that as the company seems non-existent other than being found on Webike Japan website. Their direct website which is supposed to be from Japan charged me in USD and I think they have a US phone number.

Supposedly exhausts are custom made to order.

We'll see.

PXL_20201028_181916289.jpg
    MYUMPH and alex4515 like this.
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Can you spot over $600 in parts I just installed?

PXL_20201029_002635198.jpg

PXL_20201029_002656985.jpg

Suspension tool, can't believe it, won't arrive until tomorrow.

About to reset the ECU so it gets an idea of what is going on with the new intake.

Clipped wires for clutch switch. Need to get some electrical tape and tie them off together so I can start in gear.

Probably not going to test ride until I get the forks built.

Check out the heat sink valve and cam covers. If you get a set just reuse stock bolts. Drow ships with bolts that are too short and these weigh more than the stock covers so no sense adding more stress and or stripping out the head.

Clutch feels awesome. Didn't have to bleed after all. Some excess cable though and it did require me to bend open the little cable keeper on the actuator arm to fit the Hymec slave rod in there. Bent it back afterwards but that shouldn't have had to have been done.

Getting rid of the bread box really opens up accessibility for maintenance and looks much better.
    MYUMPH likes this.
  13. optimum_malarky

optimum_malarky Premium nonsense

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of doing an intake for looks and to let the bike breathe a bit more, but does that mean I have to do exhaust and remapping as well? What happens if I just do intake only? (This is the first bike I'm considering engine-mods, so looking for advice).
    Chillis likes this.
  14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    You can do intake with no other mods. You can do an exhaust too and still don't need to tune it.

Add a cam, higher compression piston, or big bore and then you'll want to tune.

I believe the manual also states to use a 1 step colder plug if you do a lot of high speed riding.
  15. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Chain and sprockets are on order.

Sticking to 420 but got an RK MRU chain with lightweight steel sprockets. If anybody has checked the stock rear sprocket it has some weird design to it and apparently weighs quite a bit.

Went with 16/38.

Bigger chain circles to lessen angles and flexion plus keeping said chain further from the swingarm.

Looking at next week sometime.

Then I can put these on:

PXL_20201029_153935884.jpg

Tomorrow morning the fork kit goes in. I think that is the most exciting, having more control in the front, less dive, less sag. When the rear shocks went on with stiffer springs and riding higher in the stroke it made the front end have too much weight which led to unstable dirt handling.
    simbaboy and Ginger Beard like this.
  16. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need to put in a high speed plug.
    Chillis likes this.
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Anybody have close-ups of the Ohlins fork kit?

Curious to what differs with that kit versus the YSS I put in mine.

The YSS on compression side have a spring on the piston or valve to give it progressive damping. Rebound side, not sure if there is anything to give it a more progressive damping in that valve.

The parts are much more intricate compared to stock though.
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Got out on the hotrod tonight. The intake makes a notable improvement in performance down low. The bike gets up to speed and dare I say, sort of feels grunty.

Up top it feels flat but with the change it is difficult to perceive if it feels the same there but the low end and midrange is more full.

Looking forward to the exhaust.

Front end feels much better. No more heavy diving on the brakes. Still has decent bump absorption though. Need a proper off road test to really get a feel for what is going on though.

Hydraulic clutch feels pretty good now. Had to take up some slack on the slave cylinder and all seems well.
    staticPort, Ginger Beard and alex4515 like this.
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Testing the Monkey out. Intake makes a big difference in performance. Easily gets up to and maintains 50 mph and I'm not trying to push it but have been cruising 55 mph much of the time this morning.

It is way too loud though.

Anybody have ideas to quiet down a loud intake and maintain flow?

Would a foam filter cut some noise?

I haven't even added the exhaust yet and sound is pretty much unbearable at high speeds. Too bad as performance increase is highly noticeable.

PXL_20201031_165923211.jpg