1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Honda Monkey 125 ABS - 2018

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Seeside, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We keep waiting...
    frog13, Ginger Beard and simbaboy like this.
  2. Chillis

Oddometer:
  3. Chillis

Oddometer:
    You know Japan in early to mid 2000's had the XT225 Serow engine in a TW200 chassis. TW225. Very similar specs to the latest models but more power and a 6 speed.

Definitely a move in the right direction that never made it to our market where I'm sure it would have been greatly appreciated.

I hope I never have to play with carbs again.

Once my bike is done with tuning at DynoJet, anybody can do the same basic mods of Takegawa 181 S-Stage big bore/cam plus an intake and exhaust, oil cooler arrangement with HD pump and most likely a side cover and flash the map they are making for my bike. You'll have an easy to set up performance package.

All the extra stuff I've added will not be necessary.
    OConnor and simbaboy like this.
  4. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The exhaust review, HotLap-Japan, Trail for the Honda Monkey 125.

simbaboy likes this.
  5. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I'm having a tough time deciding on going full hog with the bike.

Big valve ported head and throttle body or stay stock.

The issue, other than availability of said parts, is air filter designs are just a cone filter off of the throttle body. Being sensitive to loud sharp noises it would drive me nuts having the filter aimed right at my right ear blasting intake noise.

The mod is worth 3 to 4 rwhp.

Supposedly Takegawa big bore throttle body on the stock head is worth 1 or 2 hp to the rear wheel as well.

Decisions.
    OConnor, Ginger Beard and simbaboy like this.
  6. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    keep it quite, also them types of air intakes don't work in wet conditions
    frog13 and Chillis like this.
  7. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Steady Garage sells a 26mm bored out stock throttle body so it maintains all stock function with cold start.

One of those is on the way. Can still use the Kitaco intake I put on that fits with oil cooler and it'll be able to breathe a little better all around.

With the 181 and cam plus intake and exhaust it really is torque heavy off of the bottom and I don't even know what the top end is like yet because it isn't tuned.

The Takegawa big throttle body kit doesn't lose much down low but really climbs at higher rpm so I figure there won't be much lost with the Chimera +2 mm bored stock throttle body.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I forgot to get a smaller license plate holder.

Anybody have a good recommendation for a clean setup that maintains stock functionality and is plug and play?
  9. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brian, if you haven't already done so you might want to epoxy as a backing support in the headlight bucket top hook area. That is known to crack with dirt riding. I actually should do that with my Monkey and Trail too.
    Ginger Beard and Chillis like this.
  10. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Maybe that is the rattle noise I hear as I come to a stop around the headlight.

The bolts that hold the headlight to the mounts are always snug. I haven't found where the sound is actually coming from. I'll pull the headlight out and see.
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Well, I've got a problem. This project, even though my bike isn't tuned yet, is making me crave more power.

Didn't think I'd be looking at doing a head and throttle body upgrade but I am.

Some options are out of stock at the moment which sucks, IMO.

Also, when you switch the throttle body you are looking at very few intake options. The only one I sort of know works is by Dinger Built. You have to then raise your tank up which I don't really care for. It is titanium though. Being hard walled tubing it is going to add more noise.

Could go Takegawa on throttle body and the filter just clamps directly to it and I'd have to find some sort of enclosed filter to try and shut it up.

Not sure the Takegawa manifold would line up to the ported head though.

I put another tune in the bike just to experiment and it actually runs decent but doesn't really have much pull like it did at first. Hope I've not fouled the head up running too rich.

Will let the bike cool and pull the spark plug.
  12. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking around for a rear rack and, possibly, a front rack for my Monkey. Anybody have a rear rack that they love? Is anybody offering a rear rack that might compatible with hard luggage?

Who have you had the best luck with in regards to ordering Monkey parts from on the web?
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Webike Japan has the most comprehensive list of mods for the bike. Especially custom/appearance parts.

No issues with shipping. Just don't choose the slow boat option.

https://japan.webike.net/ps/#!p.m=14024&p.c=1121&p.sk=1

Zeed Parts has goodies as well and they are pretty quick on shipping if you order direct. I made a mistake of ordering from their ebay store and it got the slow boat treatment. Everything else has been very fast. Typically arriving in a week if they have it in stock.

https://www.zeedparts.com/monkey-125

Steady Garage and Drow Sports are over in SoCal so stuff arrives fast from them.

MNNTHBX usually sends stuff 2 day or priority mail so they are quick.

Try amazon as well. Not seeing much on Steady Garage, Drow, or MNNTHBX. They are good to purchase from though.
    OConnor likes this.
  14. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Brian.
    Chillis likes this.
  15. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had been looking at rear racks for a while and finally settled on the Hepco & Becker rack. It’s expensive but looks to be the best (and strongest) design out of all the racks.

MotoMachines currently has a 15% sale site-wide, which is the best price you’ll find on the HB rack: https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-rear-rack-honda-monkey-125-2019

Keep in mind that every rack for the Monkey is rated for only 6.6 lbs. (Some OEM racks failed with loads lighter than 6.6 lbs, hence the recall.) I’m guessing this is a stipulation from Honda due to the attachment points under the seat. So, technically, no rack available is suitable for hard luggage. With that said, there are some people that carry 30lbs of camping gear on their Monkey. YMMV, but I’d be very cautious about loading up any rack on that bike.

The other rack I considered is from T-Rex Racing (https://www.t-rex-racing.com/2019-2020-Honda-Monkey-Luggage-Rack-p/n30-19luggagerack.htm), but the HB design looks stronger, and I’ve heard that the door to the toolbox rattles.

As far as other vendors, I’ve ordered from MNNTBX and Steady Garage. Both were fast and shipping was reasonable.
    lookatdirt likes this.
  16. Chillis

Oddometer:
    emoose likes this.
  17. emoose

Oddometer:
    Chillis likes this.
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    None of the racks look particularly stout but the one I linked above does have the bracing welded on.

I wouldn't mind seeing a tubular aluminum rack that was stout but still light.
    emoose likes this.
  19. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! You guys pointed me in the right direction. I guess I didn’t realize they were all rated for such a low weight, but it makes sense. It’s also pretty amazing how expensive a lot of these accessories are, so I just want to make sure I get the right one.

Mostly just looking for a rack to mount a pelican case on.

I was reading reviews for some of the front racks, and they sound like kind of a waste of time. Lol

Thanks for the replies!
    emoose and Chillis like this.
  20. emoose

Oddometer:
    That’s exactly what I’m going to do with the HB rack. I’m struggling to settle on a size though. I’m looking at the Storm cases, from the iM2100 up to the iM2450. One of the issues is that I want to mount auxiliary brake/signal lights on the case, so it has to be big enough to accommodate those.
    Chillis likes this.