Honda NC750X owners thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Cruz, Apr 15, 2016.

1. kclass

kclass n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi what fuel type are we putting in the bike my bike hasn't a owners manual

Some have said 95 others 91

It's an Ozy 2016/17 model imported into NZ as we don't have the ABS version here.

Thanks
  2. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello my Oz ADV Counterparts.

I always come here to visit when I need solid real world feedback on bikes. I figure if they can survive what you folks put them through, they will suit me just fine.
    Plus, you don't whine endlessly about loose mirrors, blown tail lights or other stuff that a kid with a playschool wrench can fix. But I'll deny saying that if it leaks out of the Oz Forum.

I have been starting to develop an interest in the X Bikes. Either the 500 or the 700, since we can't have the NC750X.

I have enjoyed reading through the threads here on both. And just wanted to post up and say thank you!

I am really going back and forth on these two.
    Cruz and 59DEN like this.
  3. workhorse

workhorse Motorcycle as a medium of travel

Oddometer:

I'm in the same boat.
    The 500 is a sweet looking little thing, light and lithe, able to be thrown around.....
    BUT
    I've just been told my neck is pretty shot, C5-C7 collapsed IV disc, so the stabbing pain down my right arm will go away over time but he that big clock of life is getting too fast for me so Ive realised I need a torquey, comfy, bigger bike with a great screen to do some longer bitumen rides.
    I'm madly in love with my old girl now she has been fixed up, but I need some good wind protection for my neck, as Mr Noddy is not a good look.

Never had a practical, utterly reliable bike before that didn't seem bespoke.
  4. grrant1058

grrant1058 Motorcyclist 24/7

Oddometer:
    Have fitted a Madstad screen to my NC. Modified the mounts so it tucks in a little tighter. Have also fitted a small Sports MRA X'Creen (narrow visor) attached to the top of the main screen and it is really very good. On Monday my new Touring MRA X'Creen should arrive. A little wider so should be even better. Have almost hit 25,000 k's now and the more I ride it the better I like it. Heading off again to the Snowy Mountains next month. Really a good touring jigger.
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    So you still have her Ron?
  6. grrant1058

Oddometer:
    Yep. Almost a year now! Taken me a little while to get the suspension to work properly and sort the air flow with the screen. I think you would find it a fair bit better to ride now than when you rode it last.

Next Saturday?
  7. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Working unfortunately. You will find mine quite different now too.
  8. grrant1058

Oddometer:
    Just chillin out with my son last week. The NC clicked over 30,000 pretty much on its 1st birthday. Left Dalgety Saturday morning (at almost -9c) and rode thru to Guyra that night at just over 1,000 k's for the day. Mightn't have the most HP in the world but it is very easy and comfy to roll away the ks on.

IMG_20170718_115803.jpg
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    You're a changed man Ron!
  10. bmp72

bmp72 '16 NC750XD, '15 Wave110i, '15 WR250X, '81 FXB

Oddometer:
    I read this comment a lot in many of the reviews for the nc750, the rpms being low and hitting the rev limiter when riding the manual version.

I dont really get it though, the Moto Guzzi v7 is also 750cc, also around 55hp with 6 gears, redline also starts around 6500, yet no-one is complaining there ?
  11. grrant1058

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, I understand someone was riding along at 155kmh on one exactly the same as mine and was only doing 5,600ish rpm. Because these things are so torquey at such low rpm, never been that high in the rev range to test the rev-limiter. Because these things are literally half a 1.5L Honda Jazz car engine, they have low down torque like I have not previously experienced. Off the lights it just leaves everyone for dead, just purely because of the grunt. After having 3 DL650, 600 Transalp, 650 Transalp, 1000 Varadero and many other bikes, the more I ride this the more I like it. It definitely out grunts my Fat-Bob and California and they are supposedly the grunt masters.

20160611_142730.jpg
    pvwheeler and 59DEN like this.
  12. Spots

Spots Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can only speak for myself, but I think I found it jarring because the NC750 felt like it could have kept pulling hard all the way to, I dunno, 9000 or 10,000. It wasn't becoming asthmatic or breathless or giving any other indication that it was time to shift, in the way most engines do as they near the redline. That and it was a hard ignition cut like my VTR250 had, so the punishment for crossing that redline was abruptly administered.

(And, on a personal note, pretty much every bike I've had has had a ~10,000rpm rev limit, so maybe I was caught by surprise)

I'm sure if I owned an NC750 I'd get used to it, but it caught me out the first few times.
  13. bmp72

Oddometer:
    AND.... it looks like problem solved, for the 2018 model the redline has increased to 7500 rpm...
  14. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ron @grrant1058

I like the sound of that

What's it like on the occasional 50 kays or so of gravel road, eg something like Kilcoy-Murgon? Or maybe Hivesville-Gayndah?

I find my current '14 G650GS quite OK for my needs (tame) on gravel stuff. Never ridden anything with a 17" wheel. How do you reckon it would compare?

Broad question(s), I know, but I'd appreciate your opinion.
  15. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Dave, from my experience on the NC750X and my 500X with 17 front and rear fitted you will not have any problems whatsoever on roads like KM and Eastern and Western Branch. H@ve a test rid| on them and see which fits you the best and you are most comfortable on.
  16. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cruz, that's handy advice. Yes have also considered the CB500X, but in light of the fact that I'll be using it pretty much always on the bitumen (Hey, sorry about what I said Ulysses, can I come back in?) and occasionally with a pillion the 750 is currently ahead in my thinking. Plus, let me admit straight up that I find the idea of 3100 revs at 100kmh with Honda reliability oddly seductive.
    Cruz likes this.
  17. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    For what you want to.do with it Dave, I would definitely pick the NC750X.
    Dean Ohlin likes this.
  18. grrant1058

Oddometer:
    G'day Dave and Bruce.

Dave, this is a Adventure "styled" bike. The suspension and the tyre size/ diameter ensure it will never be as comfortable off road as your BMW, however, no problem on dirt roads if you take it relatively easy. Centre of gravity is quite low with the slant forward motor and fuel tank under the seat. For carrying a pillion this bike is the business with the torque it has.
    Dean Ohlin likes this.
  19. bmp72

Oddometer:
    OK so yesterday I was at the EICMA where I paid special attention to the NC750XD, as that is what I plan to get next spring.
    WP_20171109_12_14_31_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171109_12_14_40_Pro.jpg

and with a different lady:

WP_20171109_13_38_27_Pro.jpg

What I noticed most about all the Italian ladies, what really struck me was the big noses they have :lol3

Anyways, things I noticed about the bike: One had the dash turned on, the redline was still in the mid 6000's, my guess is that the update (the traction control and the higher redline) are basically just software upgrades. This was enforced by the amateur way the traction control button was just screwed on:

WP_20171109_12_30_28_Pro.jpg

Just this one screw by the mirror attachement... I mean the button has a nice solid feel to it, nothing wrong with that, just looked like an "afterthought".
  20. bmp72

Oddometer:
    They also had the bike in red:
    WP_20171109_12_16_25_Pro.jpg

I don't think this is a new color as this was available in Europe all along.

For me, the only difference I saw with the current models, and the only way to make sure it's a 2018 instead of a 2017, is the attached traction control button. Otherwise I didn;t see any difference.