Honda NHX110 (LEAD, Elite)

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by DaBinChe, Dec 16, 2013.

1. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was actually one of the smoothest dirt roads I have ever ridden. Not much dust at all.
  2. jeep8

jeep8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My son riding 4 laps at the Barber Motorsports Park at the Barber Small Bore.

3. Inoplanetyanin

Inoplanetyanin One day closer!

Oddometer:
    Cool video, but consider wearing gloves. Asphalt takes the skin off straight to the bones even at very low speeds.
    jeep8 likes this.
  4. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    @63xx miles

Finally had a chance to clean out the drive. Top speed now is 48mph, basically time to change the belt/variator. On the way down to AZ I notice my top speed lost 1mph, way back it lost 2mph more. Rule of thumb for this model, at least my first/last one, is lost of 3mph top speed means belt is at wear limit. I didn't check spec of belt this time but everything indicates it's time to change.

Been thinking of trying stock size rear tire and Kitaco taller final drive to see if it can push that taller gearing for a higher top speed. I want to be able to get to 55mph at least on flats. Old scoot could get to that with only bigger rear tire, no sliders, no taller final drive. Old scoot could push taller final drive, larger rear tire, and sliders. All three of which gears a little taller combine tops out at 58mph on flats if drive and tire is new. Drafting tucking and tail wind can get to 60, steep downhill got to 61-62. Would miss the quicker steering and slightly more ground clearance, but would gain more tire clearance. I'll wait till this current bigger tire wears out to do this.
  5. Inoplanetyanin

Oddometer:
    Hey elite folks, have a question.

So my scooter has 27,000 miles and has been sitting in the airport for 30 days (while I rode the PCX from NY-LA).

When I got to the Elite and tried to start it, it didn't start right away.

I had to crank her about 5 times. On the first try it kind of started but then died.

Consecutive attempts sounded like there is no combustion happened whatsoever.

I followed a procedure of start as if the engine is flooded, by holding the starter button down with the throttle held half open.

It then started and ran fine afterwards.

The spark plug and everything else should be in good condition. I am just wondering why sitting for a month would cause a hard start like this.

Also, my 2018 PCX with 2000 miles had the same issue after sitting in a humid shed in NJ for two month. It also needed about 10 seconds of cranking to be able to start.

Ideas?
  6. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The battery got weak from sitting too long, hold the throttle half open let is flow more air/fuel so it starts easier. As the battery gets older it isn't able to hold a charge as long/strong.
  7. Inoplanetyanin

Oddometer:
    The battery is turning the engine just fine, especially on the PCX that has a basically new battery. This happened about a 2 years ago when battery died after sitting for over a month but even with the jumper cables that allowed the start to turn the engine at top speed, the engine still wouldn't catch for a while.

I think it has something to do with flooding it though because it starts only with the throttle held open.
  8. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    bikes even FI and strong battery if sit for too long always has a hard time starting. Usually not getting enough gas. I usually turn the key and let fuel prime the system several times before starting.
    Inoplanetyanin likes this.
  9. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must ordered my dr pulley sliders 12.5g and they will be here Sunday. Hoping to get to test them out Monday night the ride to work.
  10. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took my Elite 110 to a local dealer to sell it as I don't use it much anymore. The told me the valve cover gasket and water pump were leaking. Gasket is not much but the water pump is kind of pricy and the labor cost makes it too expensive to fix unless I do it myself. Has anyone had any issues with the water pump? My 110 has 5,300 miles on it and I thought it wa in good shape. Scoot is still at dealership and won't be able to get by there till Thursday. Im suspecting the water pump is very minor and may even be normal weeping. Im thinking about seeing what can be done to fix it without too much investment. Thought about just putting an add for it up on the board at the local Cycle Gear. I can certainly pull it apart and get it back together just have other things to do, one is a 5,000 mile ride out to Glacier National Park. Know my way around bikes a little bit, did a valve adjustment on my CBR600RR 4 years ago.

Other issues with the scoot are front tire - they said dry rot but its not that old and the starter pinion needs to be cleaned and greased but they didn't say anything about that.

Thoughts?

Cool video of the scooter at Barbers. Ive rides my Elite 110 on a parade lap - track folks know me so let me go at the back. Bike would pull away on the straights and Id catch up in the corners, it was a blast. Somewhere I have photos of the Small Bore parade laps.
  11. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    @6500miles

OK looks like I might be mistaken about this replacement Elite being slower. It still feels slower, less powerful..but that could be newer and smoother then old. So replaced the variator, sliders, belt. Before the change it topped out at 57.5mph. Before the AZ trip it topped out at 50mph, then 48mph after the AZ trip. Now my top speed is 54.5mph, with an almost half worn rear tire. So the numbers says that it is as fast as my old Elite. With the same tire, sliders combo they have shown the same speeds. With the Kitaco taller final drive the old Elite tops out at 58mph. So yeah everything number wise is on par with each other. One thing that I never tried on the old Elite was the Kitaco tall final drive with a stock size rear tire. I might try that when this rear over size tire wears out.
  12. Inoplanetyanin

Oddometer:
    If you told them you want to part ways with it, it's very stand practice for them to quote a lot of work that it needs in an effort to de-value it in your eyes and get it for next to nothing.

Short of that, NO, the water pump leaking is not that anyone reported on the internet with these bikes, at least I've never heard. Dabinche has a video of replacing a thermostat and the water pump. It's a bit of work, removing the radiator and having all the gaskets available. They are cheap but need to be ordered. You have to have some experience replacing thermostat and cooling hoses to do this work properly. I would do it myself and not pay others for it.

As for valve cover gasket. Piece of cake to get to. Just remove the rack and the seat bucket. You need 10 and 12 mm sockets, some thing for the valve cover (only two bolts holding it), plus a small bracket or two.

Gasket is silicone, should not be leaking (unless the valve cover bolts were left insufficiently tightened).

You can just clean it and re-seat the valve cover. I am 95% sure you will not have a problem. Gasket is flat so there should be no real age-related deformation. If it is a completely failed gasket, new one is few bucks, im sure. Get one from partzilla.com

Starter pinon gear failing to engage at times is a common issue. I've been having this on my Elite for years. Currently have 27 000 trouble free miles except broken original belt at 13000 miles.

I used to live in Cullman County, AL, humid place. Glacier is an incredible place. Enjoy the ride and the visit.
  13. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, got the scooter back this afternoon. The valve cover gasket shows no real signs of a leak - some dust in the seal area but no significant oil accumulation. Attached a photo of the water pump weep hole. Note the green area is not a drop but just a little thicker accumulation of old coolant. Yes its been weeping but not sure I would call this an issue. Cleaned it off with paper towels and road a few miles, looked clean afterwards absolutely no change in the appearance after riding - could not see any webpage on the cleaned area. Tomorrow will wash everything off very well and then take some long rides to see if I can get it to do anything. Ive had the scoot since it had 1,800 miles on it and it will set for several months at a time. I generally ride it during the spring summer and fall months. Up until a year ago I would take twenty mile rides on it mostly at full throttle. The service manual says webpage is normal.

The coolant reservoir tank is at the low line when cold so it hasn't lost much coolant over the several years Ive owned it.

Think I will clean up and ride for a few days to check and then sell cheap.

Attached Files:

14. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The dealership is BS you to lowball you. Sell it private party to maximize your $$. If everything is in good shape, plastics are not scratched up then you should be able to get about $1500 or just under in your location. Try Craigslist, but expect bunch of flakes, my experience with CL is 1 in 10 are serious.
  15. Inoplanetyanin

Oddometer:
    + 1 ^

As for the weep hole, looks like you do have some coolant around it and I don't think it's normal at all. If that is indeed coolant leaking, you will need to tear it down to see if it's a water pump or some other seal/hose.

Mine stays at the same level for 3 yrs at a time, so yours being at a lower level indicates some loss of coolant.

Your bike is 10 yrs ago, the coolant has to be replaced not less than every three years, otherwise it deteriorates, damages the seals, the waterpump bearing and causes corrosion everywhere. Hope your coolant has been services few times since the bike was made in 2009/08
  16. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took seat tub out and cleaned engine and everything really well using S100. Weep hole was clean. Took it out for a 16 mile ride with lots of full throttle sections. Looks like it has weeped 2 or 3 drops of coolant. Im going to go ahead and replace water pump. If I was going to keep it would just live with it for a while, its a very small amount.
  17. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    it's lots more work to get the water pump out, I only did the thermostat. But if the coolant was changed when it should be then every thing is probably fine...won't know until you open it up. Chances are you'll only need to replace the Mechanical Seal & oil seal behind the water pump impeller, but since you'll be breaking the seals to several other parts should replace all those too other wise they might leak when reused/put back together. Those seals are cheap.
  18. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I went ahead and ordered the seals in addition to the water pump. The pump assemble is not much more than the seals shaft and impeller. Im trying to turn it around quickly and get it sold. While Im at it will change coolant, oil, gear oil, adjust the valves and clean and grease the starter pinion and shaft. Will also clean out the drive while in there. Also ordered a front tire as the current one is OE tire! Not badly worn but some small cracking in the center. Had to get a 110/90-12 - have to go to a different size just to find one. Ive not done much to this scoot just ridden, Ive had the Kymco Compagnia apart to replace the fuel pump. Dealer said they would buy if I fixed everything but Im aggregated now and will not be doing that. I can sell it to someone else for that little bit.
  19. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you already got a front tire, but a better size would be 100/90-12 Kenda KD1 is about $40. I get my tires from AmericanMotoTires free shipping over $35 I think. I also think there is a stock size 90/90-12 on amazon or ebay for about $40, but it is a cheap generic tire no better then the OE tire.
  20. papawhellie

papawhellie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought one from a co-member in an Atlanta motorcycle group. Great scoot, around 4500 miles. I would not recommend motobatt battery’s. Did not get a year out of the two I had. Horrible customer service and bad attitude at motobatt. I bought a mighty max on eBay for 20 bucks. Cranks as it should.