Honda NHX110 (LEAD, Elite)

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by DaBinChe, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure why on that either. It would seem that less friction would be a good thing since there is no clutch to worry about.

Doesn't really seem to make sense unless there is something else in there that relies on a specific amount of friction.
  2. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda was lazy in not removing the JASO MA requirement for scoots. That is basically their default owners manual info.
  3. Inoplanetyanin

Inoplanetyanin One day closer!

Oddometer:
    Maybe it has something to do with other additives that they deemed necessary for these small, high revving scooter engines... e.g. ZDP, that MA and MB may have different amount of.

The reality is, there are a lot of specific characteristics that each oil is designed to meet.
    https://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/JASO_MA_JASO_MB.php

Bob is oil guy site will beat this topic to death and back, and once you read everything on the subject, your will get very confused by typical contradicting questions - which one is better, which one is recommended, why this and not the other, etc...
  4. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Totally agree! I wondered about the gearbox as it uses the same oil as the engine and Googled energy efficient oils in gearboxes. Lots of answers but mostly big industrial stuff. I got tired of chasing. At the end of the day don't think there is much worry out there as long as you use MA oils in motorcycles with wet clutches. I doubt most folks who are concerned enough to look into oils are running longer oil change intervals than should be.

DaBinChe: Now Im curious about those roads in the mountains that chew up tires. Are they chip tar? Ive run into that in Wyoming - fresh before the excess gravel was swept off. Have a son in San Jose, we were out there last year and drove down to Santa Cruz, Nice drive thru the mountains. Have run the Road 2, 3, 4, 4GT and 5. Great tires really stick in the wet. Ran Road 4s on my CBR600RR, worked well for street riding.
  5. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah chip seal roads. Has the texture of popcorn ceilings, so very abrasive. Lots of smaller roads here use it for the lower cost. These roads are asphalt and instead of redoing the asphalt they resurface with chip sealing.
  6. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    First time ever GPS via app on iphone and shows about 3mph faster then indicated. I have over size 100/90-12 front tire. Bigger rear too but that doesn't have anything to do with the speedo. Speedo cable is mechanically attached to the front tire.

So just a quick run to the hardware store I got max of 57.8mph gps, indicated about 55mph
  7. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed the 12.5 gr sliders and have to wonder if my speed hold capability has went down since doing so. I weigh 185 or so and the acceleration seems to be about the same. Shouldn’t it have been better? Would a new variator get me a little more on top end? I am always hitting the rev limiter while riding.
  8. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many miles? When my belt & variator wears it'll hit the rev limiter.
  9. av8erdunn

Oddometer:
    1,200 miles on her.
  10. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the low miles variator should be fine. Is belt still original? Could be old belt...

Look at your variator and see how far up the belt rides. On a stock set up it will be about 4mm to the edge. With the sliders I get about 1-2mm to the edge.

Are you on stock size rear tire? If oversize could be that you are too heavy for the gearing of both the sliders and oversize tire.
  11. av8erdunn

Oddometer:
    It’s the stock belt and I will check the variatior belt ride height. Yep, stock tire but I was gonna go with the molas soon. I figure it wouldn’t hit the rev limiter if I was too heavy. It’s wanting to go faster but can’t.
  12. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    wanting to go faster is pretty normal with stock gearing...but looks like you might have a strong one like my first one. What is the indicated top speed?
  13. av8erdunn

Oddometer:
    53mph indicated and verified by two different gps. It’s odd but the speedo is dead accurate on this one.
  14. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    is that actual gps or phone app? Mine is phone app so....don't know if it is actual satellites gps or cell tower triangulation which should be accurate cause satellites use triangulation too. Real 53mph is faster then stock

How about front tire size?
  15. av8erdunn

Oddometer:
    It’s actual gps. I did pick up a little with the sliders. I am hoping to be able to mark the variator tomorrow to see what it’s doing. I was hoping there was a variator to install that would get a couple mph but maybe the tire would give me a little bit more.
  16. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock variator is the largest that can go in. Any larger then it will hit the pinion gear above it. With the sliders you get about 1-2mm away from the edge but the out side of the belt will go up more and just kiss the pinion gear. You should be able to see a little wear on the edge of the belt rubbing on the pinion gear.

The larger rear tire will give you another couple mph on top.
  17. av8erdunn

Oddometer:
    How much increase did you see by the rear tire change?
  18. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    about 2mph more on top
  19. av8erdunn

Oddometer:
    Not bad!
  20. Inoplanetyanin

Inoplanetyanin One day closer!

Oddometer:
    Discovered my rear Michelin S1 tire was at 15 psi. The tire plug was leaking after being in the there for the past 200 miles and about 3 months.

Decided to dismount the tire and put a patch over the hole from the inside.

Was surprised how easy it was to remove the Michelin as the rubber is soft and my new tire irons are finally perfect for the job.

Patched the hole and put tire back together. Again, it went straight back on in less than a minute. Got about 30 % left on the tires and have a brand new tire/wheel ready so decided to use this one up all the way.

In my experience, rope tire plugs seem to fail every time i use them. Not immediately but after a little while. I was thinking of buying the mushroom type plug this time. Has anyone had an experience using it? https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-1075...+kit+mushroom&qid=1569011449&s=gateway&sr=8-4