Honda PC800 - Pacific Coast riders - opinions and pics please

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The PacRat, Apr 18, 2008.

1. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nor is it now a dormant thread.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. thinkingofone

thinkingofone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sorry my bad..have it on flea market now
  3. CharlesH

CharlesH Support those who support you.

Oddometer:
  4. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Current virus aside, I gotta wonder what happened to the "cult status" of PCs if bikes that nice are priced so low. That's half of what I'd ordinarily expect.
    GlennR likes this.
  5. CharlesH

CharlesH Support those who support you.

Oddometer:
    Hard not to buy it as a spare for my '96 at that price.
  6. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
  7. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Wish I had the storage space for all the deals out there.
  8. IMaScot

IMaScot Everything can be Stolen.

Oddometer:
    This thread seems pretty dead right now. Let's do something about that. Here is a quote from another forum ( tapatalk ) that has some dismal comments about the search for PC800 performance. Here is the quote from Thumper:

"I've been wrenching for 35+ years on many different makes and models. Many a person makes changes claiming that power is "fantastic". When the bike is placed onto a dyno, the results typically show that the bike makes less power. "Seat of the pants" method is very subjective and is not indicative whether a mod generates more torque or horsepower."
    END quote.

I have a reply to this statement.
    If Thumper is RIGHT, then the millions of people who spend billions of dollars on performance hardware for motorcycles and cars are all WRONG. Holy smoke man, you had better get on T.V. and warn people. Cough... Or there may be the possibility that you are dead wrong. And the millions of other people are right.

I shake my head at these claims of "wrenching 35+years " with poor results. I'm a professional mechanic and have had excellent results since 1978. So you guys sitting on the fence out there, take note about my advice from idiots.

Particularly, don't slap a big main jet into the carbs and call it's done like some people suggest. It defeats the fuel metering design of the carburetors. Do like I said. Adjust the low speed jets. Shim the needles, open the intake port, and open the muffler. The best A.F.R. is around 14 at cruise and 12 when on the throttle. That's what you want. Beware of people who says they have all the answers, sound good, and don't back them up. Sometimes they try to make you believe in their tales. Stay with the proven stuff.
    IMASCOT
  9. travellingtenor

travellingtenor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't expect too much from my PC. It is what it is. I was out on the bike today and thought that it did a pretty good job on the 65mph roads that I rode on. I ran it up to 90mph in a few sections and it was fine. If I was going to make some performance mods on the bike I would make the suspension and the braking a little better. Those two areas are more important to me. What good is more horsepower if the bike can't handle or stop? If I really want more horsepower and want a bike to handle and stop I will pull out my 2001 Goldwing. It is a heavy pig but it has more than twice the horsepower and it can handle and stop. Sorry little PC. I still love you.
  10. jrw600

jrw600 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put steel braided brake and clutch lines, as well as new brake pads on my PC. It is an improvement, but, you are dealing with 30 year old technology so it will never have, and I would never expect, modern day capability.
    I also put in progressive Suspension fork springs and Hagon shocks. Again, better, but it is not a sportbike. Having said that I always enjoy the ride. It does exactly what I want it to do.
  11. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the handling front, I recall someone swapping the swingarm to allow a 17" rear as well, to quicken steering geometry and expand the tire selection. A modern front end would improve both handling and especially braking. And weight could be shed albeit with compromise to what it is that makes it a PC. How much time and how much money do you want to spend?
  12. jrw600

jrw600 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, this doesn't make sense. The bike works remarkably well as it is.
    Where I live this is a $3500 motorcycle. Cheap!
    If you want a modern front end and a 17" rear wheel, just buy a modern motorcycle.
    Don't spend time and money trying to make this bike what it is not, Enjoy your time, and Save your money! Ride the bike as it is and revel in the simplicity of what Honda was giving us, at that moment in time.
  13. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    I agree.

Good tires, better fork springs, better rear shocks along with better aftermarket brake pads. Done.

............Well, that and a Clearview tall windscreen.
  14. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kinda' what I was sayin'. Kinda' sorta'. For those with the time and skills, a junkyard swingarm and front end can make a PC a safer and better riding PC for relatively little money. Mine cost $1350 so it'd still cost less than a fifteen year old sport tourer. IF (big IF) you enjoy the process of modifying your bike. Honda made the parts I mentioned, if you can find 'em at a boneyard you could improve your PC for not much money. IF you are capable of and enjoy doing that kind of a project.
  15. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    Professional mechanic since 1978 ! :clap

Same here plus 1 more year.

Still waiting for you to post your chassis dyno sheet printout. :lol3
    procycle likes this.