Honda PC800 - Pacific Coast riders - opinions and pics please

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The PacRat, Apr 18, 2008.

1. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been using Commander II front and rear for a while. Have them on a Fatboy as well for over 8500 miles.
    Best wet weather traction ever.
  2. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've read dozens, hundreds even, posts from dark side haters concerning the inappropriateness of using a car tire on the rear of a motorcycle, some calling them down right dangerous, but in all the years that this debate has been raging on, I've yet to read first hand reports about those dangers, as in crashes caused by dark siding.

"The Dark Side Paradox": where are the crash reports?

Posting a viddie showing a dark sider scrapping pegs on a heavy, powerful, shaft drive bike at the track doesn't do much in support the stories of evil handling. Nor does the fact that that dude on the big yellow GW at Deal's Gap who makes a living following sport riders to shoot souvenir videos for them and who also dark sides, doesn't help either. (don't know if he's still in business. Yellow Wolf?)

Myself: I won't use a car tire on my rear because if I do have an incident, and the insurer company gets involved, and sees the car tire...they won't pay. Otherwise, to each his own. :-)
    RedRocket and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. IMaScot

IMaScot Everything can be Stolen.

Oddometer:
    The dark siders' that have met with death on the local hairpin turn can't give a crash report. Absolute proof that Ouija boards don't work.
    procycle likes this.
  4. freebird6

freebird6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just ran across this thread looking for another.

Riding out toward Dayton OH from Muncie I saw this bike about a month ago and took a pic as my buddy had one and his widow sold in one day when she listed it. Always thought I might like one for the wife to replace her R1100RT but she nixed the idea. I talked to another friend that has a couple already who decided he did not need a third.

When I stumbled across this thread I remembered the pic and called the guy. He said he is the 3rd owner, pilot was the first owner then a mechanic buddy of his that passed and now him. Has 22K on it, when I stopped his friend that had it in the drive started it right up for me... Looks to be in pretty good condition. I asked why he is selling. He said he had developed tremors and his wife did not want him riding anymore. Cover for it and he said he'd throw in the helmet. I laughed.

For those who love these things I am going to throw it up there with the number as my buddy is not interested. I do not have any details or any more pics. Located between Union City IN and Greenville OH. Not a lot of traffic out there so you can call and see what's up . Sorry I did not take more pics.

IMG_20200607_143241725_HDR.jpg
  5. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

No but if it happened the old wives would never let the story die.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. CharlesH

CharlesH Support those who support you.

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever have the spring door on the gas lock cylinder break? Don't like the idea of it stuck open to the elements.

Sprayed it out with wd40 and no fix. The spring broke.

Options for repair.
    1. Buy lockset off ebay.
    2. Put magnet over lock.
    3. Leave a key stub in it.
    4. Spray wd40 in it weekly to keep clean.

Update: Found they still sell the fuel lock assembly with a set of keys. Part #77232-GBL-772. Bought for $15 at the dealer. That'll get me through a number of years. I'll deal with 2 keys to keep it shut and trunk release lever secured.

Attached Files:

SmittyBlackstone and RedRocket like this.
  7. CharlesH

Oddometer:
    Won't have to worry about confusing the new key with the ignition!

Attached Files:

8. travellingtenor

travellingtenor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a better idea.

Attached Files:

9. CharlesH

Oddometer:
    Thought about that. But wanted it weatherproof and secure at same time.
  10. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Here's a decent one near me.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/d/mechanicsville-1990-honda-pc800/7169882575.html

1990 Honda PC800 - $1500 (Mechanicsville)

[​IMG]

1990 Honda Pacific Coast 80”

condition: good
    engine displacement (CC): 800
    fuel: gas
    odometer: 24000
    paint color: red
    title status: clean
    transmission: manual

Low miles! 800cc V twin. Would drive it across country tomorrow. Could be better with some cosmetic work. Mechanically, it needs nothing.
  11. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Wow. A 1990 that hasn't faded. That's a gorgeous color, but the sun ruined most of them ASAP. I wonder if Mazda has developed a formula for it that lasts?
  12. IMaScot

Oddometer:
    I'm in love. 24000 miles. Almost new. Two days to get there, and two days to get back. One day for business and mechanical checks. Hotel, meals and gas would run around $900. Add medical and travel insurance and it's well over a thousand. If it was a little closer, it would be mine. Yes, I was doing the math.
    On second thought, I do have some enterprising friends. They have natural masks, don't need a passport and are very good at taking things that don't belong to them. If you soon see a red PC being driven by very small furry folk heading East, please keep quiet until they cross the border.
    SmittyBlackstone and Rusty J like this.
  13. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    If you send them, tell 'em to stop by for lunch. Thursday is trash day.
  14. IMaScot

Oddometer:
    I'll tell them. They will eat almost anything, but fish and frootloops are tops. B.T.W. feeding them just gives them an opportunity to case your joint. They have an Iphone.
  15. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Send 'em on, but expect our foxes and copperheads to keep them in line. The coyotes will referee.
  16. IMaScot

Oddometer:
    Don't underestimate these guys. They travel in a pack of 12 adults and there are 8 kits in training. The biggest adults weigh around 45 lbs and look like small bears. At least two foxes and a whole bunch of snakes will fit in the PC trunk.
    If you are willing to risk inviting them to lunch, I suggest having some bear spray handy. Just in case they like your car. Or your truck. Or your house. Or your town.
  17. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you grow them big up there but I expect border issues to render everything moot.
  18. CharlesH

Oddometer:
    Love the pc800 but their age is starting to show.

Just a few days before leaving on a motorcycle trip I found this.

Givi rack is cracked on both sides. (Parts are at welding shop now)
    Headlight quit working. (Found to be a corroded switch causing the issue luckily)

Attached Files:

19. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fess up now, just how much weight you been totin' on that thar rack?
  20. CharlesH

Oddometer:
    Haha that's the same thing asked on the pc800 facebook site. Got me thinking and heaviest has just been my helmet. But who knows for the first 53k miles on it when I bought it. I do use the trunk every time I ride pretty much though. Gotta be a lot of stress on the rack just from closing the trunk.