Honda PCX 150

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Southerner, Jun 17, 2012.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If your valves are ticking it could be a sign that they are loose. Loose valves won't hurt anything unless it's excessive. If they get too tight, that's where damage is likely. Hard starting is one sign of too tight valves. Tight valves do not cause ticking.

How often should you check them? My experience is that I could safely double the interval recommended by the manufacturer, probably more. I like to check them myself and see how they are doing. Now that I have checked the valves twice on my Smax I am confident that I can easily go 6,000 miles or more between checks. The manual says every 2,000. I could probably go 10,000 between checks but it only takes about an hour to do on the Smax so I'll be conservative.

If you can't do the valves yourself and don't have a mechanic you know you can trust then I'd probably leave them alone. The dealer may just charge you for a valve adjustment but not actually do anything. If it's running fine then the valves are probably OK. They can be a little out of spec without hurting anything or affecting performance.
    Jim T, CaseyJones and vertex like this.
  2. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is not as complicated as some believe to service the valves in a PCX. It takes about 1.5 hours taking your time IF you have everything you need at hand. Do I enjoy it? No. I would rather be riding. But it IS orders of magnitude easier than taking the speedometer housing apart. Getting to the tiny brake fluid reservoir in the dash is a PITA when it is brake fluid flush time.

The only thing that has "broken" so far is when I parked it in the sun and the little square Honda wing badge in the speedo warped, which then interfered with the speedo needle. Taking it apart was a major PITA. Getting the residue from the tape that stuck it down without damaging the flat black painted metal dial was more of a PITA.
  3. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Honda is a colony of geniuses, when it comes to engine design.

You'd think they'd have come up with some sort of hydraulic tappet design that doesn't suck the performance out of the engine. I don't know if it's the low-oil pressure that these engines tend to run, or what; but if they could dispense with that bit of maintenance...what a beautiful thing it would be.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    They could easily do it but it would raise the price. The old Nighthawk motors had Hydraulically adjusted valves that needed no servicing. The Nighthawk S (700) in particular made good power for it's displacement. The technology is there but I don't know how much it would add to the price.
    CaseyJones and conchscooter like this.
  5. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    To add it now would cost a lot, no doubt.

To have incorporated it at design, I expect, would have cost very little. Remember, the Big PX is a very-small market for scooters. Eastern Europe and Asia are the big places; where people have little money and use these as transportation.

Imagine removing a big part of the maintenance obligation...all it entails. The skill. The gentle disassembly. The reassembly. Frankly, the honesty of the shop - which in third-world nations, is not always a given. The CLEANLINESS of the shop - do this job in filth, and no matter how careful the mechanic is, if large amounts of dust or mud blow into the head while it's being done, there's problems.

My Inner Cynic thinks that maybe Honda wants repeat sales on scooters where it was not done and valves burned. But frankly, that's a hard game to play in the Third World. And Honda does look at better ideas - like using the stator as a starting motor. BRILLIANT. Also moving the radiator off to the side - which protects it from stones off the front wheels.

Maybe it's that the design supervisors just haven't made it an objective.
  6. aguim

aguim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The reason I went to an Smax over a PCX was just that : better valves, and MUCH better
    valve accessibility. Honda makes Gold Wings that will go 180,000 km (I've seen one) and
    stay within specs...and then those PCX's come with tight intakes inside 10K !!!
    I smell a rat, here, mean, and cheap.

My Forza has the original shims @ 28.5K, and that's the way it should be. BTW, Forza's valves
    cost about five times the PCX ones...
  7. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd have to yank out my remaining teeth and have a very generous tooth fairy. :rofl
  8. vertex

vertex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with the Smax since I like to use my scooter for shopping and having a flat floor is extremely useful. If I'm carrying a heavy, full backpack, I sit it on the floor in front of me. That keeps the weight down low and frees my body. Another reason is I got a great deal on an unsold 2015 from a dealer. I've had both Honda and Yamaha motorcycles and both are high quality and reliable. I'm sure everyone loves their personal PCX and Smax and have fun riding both.
    wanna bECO likes this.
  9. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Minnesota River above flood stage a couple of weeks ago

Attached Files:

10. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Shopping. I mounted a KLR trunk (milk-crate) on the rear, using Givi brackets I got for cheap on FleaBay. Also, I have a way to hang generic Mad Dog saddlebags on the flanks - but, lacking brakets, they rub against the tupperware. They leave dirt but haven't really scuffed the surface...I have them for big needs.

The Smax's engine seems to be a gem; and Yamaha puts quality into their products; but by removing the butt-stop on the 125, I found I can stretch out on the PCX. Put my feet up on the truncated forward part of the running boards...like highway pegs. Surprisingly comfortable. I can't see doing that with one of those traditional-style scooters.
    vertex likes this.
  11. vertex

vertex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have two foot positions on the SMax, at least my short legs do. One is flat on the floor and the other up on the slopes. People have complained about the cramped seating on it but it is fine for someone 5'8" like I am. Taller people just do the cut out the seat hump mod to be able to slide back more. We looked at the PCX years ago. I liked it and I offered to get my daughter one but she eventually went with a Vespa. No perfect scooter to please everyone.
  12. fast1075

Oddometer:
    400+ miles since the suspension upgrade. All the new parts have learned to play nice. It was money well spent, and a major upgrade.
    CaptnJim likes this.
  13. MrVvrroomm

Oddometer:
    Still love our PCXs!
  14. MrVvrroomm

Oddometer:
    Just ticked over 5000 miles on my '16. Rear tire looks a little thin. Runs like an open sore.
  15. Kmart

Kmart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just recently did some maintenance on my PCX including a new belt and Dr Pulley 16g sliders. Wow, what a difference! Acceleration is noticeably quicker. It really woke the scooter up a good bit - super happy with the results. I also tried some 12g sliders but it made the scooter way too busy and frenzy - did not like it at all. I think the 16g is a good choice for me. I was thinking of replacing the PCX with something bigger such as the Xmax or maybe even a Vespa 300 but changed my mind after this quick farkle. Now thinking of getting some YSS shocks to make the ride a bit plusher.
    dustin2 likes this.
  16. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just want to say hi as I'm new to the PCX club. Been riding motorcycles for 47 years and stepped into the scooter world last summer when I bought a low mileage 2012 Burgman 650. The Burgman weighed as much as my Tenere but by carrying it so low it sure handled like it was about half the weight. I saw that the Tenere rarely got out of the garage in the past year. Well the Burgman led me to reading Battle Scooters and seeing tall guys like Klaviator riding his Smax and Super 8 and all the other folks digging the small scooters and it got me thinking, and dreaming. Then with CaptnJim and others were extolling the virtues of the mighty PCX, I thought I might have to keep my eyes open for one. No hurry, just looking for the right deal to come along.

Well that day happened last week. I saw an add on Criagslist (thank you searchtempest) in Oklahoma City approximately 4 hours away. Actually I saw the add a week earlier. An older gentleman with disabling medical issues had a white 2018 PCX like new but didn't state the mileage in his add for $2500. I tried emailing him but I guess he didn't get it. When I went back to add a few days later to get his phone number I saw that he had adjusted the add now down to $2000 firm. A placed a quick call, didn't have many questions (newish Honda what could go wrong) except about the mileage which he said was 1248. I drove up two days later with the trailer and picked it up. I had taken on a short test ride before buying but when I got home and glanced at the odometer I knew I hadn't ridden it 7 miles. I looked closer at the odometer and saw that it was set to kilometers. That 1248 was really about 774 miles. For a guy that typically buys high and sells low I feel like I finally hit it out of the park.

I've only put about 40 miles on it so far and changed the oil but I like it. As a matter of fact I've never enjoyed 45 mph so much. Funny thing, I hopped on the Burgman to go pick up a quart of oil for the PCX and I couldn't believe how heavy the Burgman suddenly became. It felt like I was piloting the Queen Mary. I guess I got more used to the PCX than I realized. Anyhow, I don't post all the time but you'll see me around in the future. CaptnJim, permission to come aboard sir?
  17. fast1075

Oddometer:
    The engine in the PCX will not have full performance until around 3-4K miles. Don't baby it, break it in fairly hard. I strongly recommend the DR Pulley sliders. I used 15 gram (I think) in mine. Made a huge difference in performance, and they wear well.
    Speedtrap likes this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the small scooter club. Nothing against bigger bikes but small bikes are really fun in their own way. A small scooter is super practical as well as being really fun. If you're like me you will be riding your PCX more than any of your other bikes. Congrats on finding such a great deal.
    Jim T and Speedtrap like this.
  19. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Sounds like you made a GREAT buy! Congrats. While I have been an enthusiastic supporter of the PCX, you don't need my permission for anything here - welcome aboard! That capable scoot changed my mind about small bikes in an incredible way. You may well find that it does so much so well that it could be the only bike you need... mine was for 5+ years. While I have added a Vespa to the family, I have no plans to sell of the PCX. We are out in the motorhome for the summer, and there is only room for two scoots in the trailer; since the Vespa was new to me, this trip it is my GTS 250ie and Joan's PCX. I have ridden her bike a couple times (after doing some maintenance to it)... mostly she tells me to keep my hands off her bike... but the scoot always brings a smile to my face.

I have no doubt you will find that smile every time you ride your new PCX! Love the white! :clap
    M.T. Hawk and Speedtrap like this.
  20. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Someone who's owned both...the Big Burg is, really, compared to the other, a lead sled.

It's good on long touring...that's its strength. An alternative to trikes for older riders - and NO, I am not putting older riders down. Gawd luv 'em...I'll be there myself, in a decade. Easing into it now. But, having had it...it's a good tourer but while reasonably-balanced, not a really-good bike.

The PCX, though. That's a Magic Carpet for city traffic. That's where it shines and what it's for; and what I use it to get through.
    thunderkat59 likes this.