Honda PCX 150

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Southerner, Jun 17, 2012.

1. thunderkat59

thunderkat59 Old cooter on a slow scooter

Oddometer:
    Totally agree. It dawned on me on my way home from work yesterday-- waiting for parts for the Sportcity,--slicing and dicing city traffic like a Ron Popiel Pocket Fisherman tool,
    my humble little '11 PCX is flawless. Bikes have come and gone, but the PCX remains . . . The only way to commute!
    :freaky
    The Virginian and CaseyJones like this.
  2. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve managed to get a few hundred miles on the scooter now. Really having a lot of fun on it and like it quite a bit. Got out for two hours this morning in the Italian countryside. Well, actually Italy, Texas countryside, pronounced (It-Lee). Traffic was light and the weather about perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CaptnJim, The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  3. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just replaced drive belt and rollers on my '16 PCX150. When new she would hit 65 mph indicated before hitting rev limiting governor. She was down to about 62 mph indicated after about 8700 miles. I'm a fat f'er at 260 lbs and I ride wide open throttle almost all the time.

A simple belt/roller change netted me 5 mph on the top end. I'd never seen her do 67 before hitting the rev limiter.

Rear tire is very thin and has had a plug in it since around 2K miles. I've got a brand new set of Michelin City Grips sitting in my garage.
  4. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    Get 'er done!
  5. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just an update into my new PCX experience. I'm almost through my second full tank now. Pretty cool to fill up a 2.1 U.S. gal. fuel tank at 195 miles. I'm getting approximately 98 mpg's. I'm really enjoying it but it seems the Japanese engineers didn't design it with a 220 lb. American as their target rider. With that in mind, I just ordered a YSS fork kit (Springs, emulators and external preload adjusters) and pair of shocks. I'll see if I can firm up the ride a little bit and make it less bouncy. Maybe an aftermarket seat a little later on that let's me sit back a little farther although the riding position is not cramped. I love the prices of the scooter aftermarket compared to motorcycle parts that's for sure. I think I'm going to have this one quite a while.
  6. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speedtrap, you might want to double check that YSS kit before it ships. USA/North American PCX use forks that are NOT threaded. That kit is for the Asian market, which uses threaded top caps.

If you are in Asia, and/or have a PCX with threaded caps, carry on.
  7. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks I’ll look into that.

8. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    I'd like to correct this. The pcx specific fork kit is not threaded, but attaches with a circlip - properly as it needs for the bike.

Usually it is the webshop picture what shows a Yamaha x-max fork kit from the same family which is indeed threaded.

Powerbypcx sells the proper caps.
  9. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank You for the correction Oyabun. The pictures always show the threaded kit.

In any case, the upgrade is very worthwhile. I recently did the YSS cartridge kit, andit greatly improves the forks.
  10. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, I wasn’t sure exactly who I was going to contact about that. Thanks.

11. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Speedtrap likes this.
  12. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I see I'd forgotten to mention it!...silly me...

June 29 (it's a significant day in my life for other reasons) I came across a PCX150 for sale, in, of all places, a used-car lot. I was curious. I went in; asked; the price was $1500. Holy sheep-shearing; that was less than I paid for the 125!...and lower mileage...

Well, with great trepidation, I went and took a bath for it. Tires were great and the thing had been under a roof most of its life. I figured, if I sold the 125 for a few hundred less, that would equate to the better tires and lower miles.

I didn't expect the 125 to sell, but it did - in a week, for $1300. A guy who does RV camping; had an old ring-a-ding-dinger to ride at the campsite. The PCX was for the little woman. Who seemed to like it; but who knows?

I suspect the 150 was priced so low, partly because the used-car dealer wanted it gone; and partly because the guy has such a smellaroo reputation, nobody looking for good items would buy from him. AND...there was a lien on the title, which I didn't catch.

All good, though. The dealer apparently gave the money to the guy who traded it in, who paid the lien off two weeks after I bought it. I had to follow back with the finance company, after the title agency told me there was an issue...

But, all's well that ends well. And my rear milk-crate bolted right up.
    Shin1ichi2002, Speedtrap and CaptnJim like this.
  13. Sno Leppard

Sno Leppard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do these scoots handle fire roads? Top speed with a 180 lb rider? Looking for a commuter and when comparing this to my 20mpg merc, I'd be saving money every month even during the payments. Its a 25mi commute with mostly two lane roads at 55mph and a couple towns at 35 with lights. Good bike to run in cooled cooler weather and rain?
  14. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the PCX but the Forza 300 maxi-scooter has almost no suspension travel and must go slowly around pot holes.

That said I have about 1000 km slowly on gravel roads on mine with 96,000 km total.
  15. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Both the PCX and the Forza has roughly 90mm travel front and rear.
    The stock suspension on the PCX is quite soft (designed to haul the tipical asian sized male pushing 140 lbs with luggage). More demanding (reaf heavier) riders usually opt for suspension upgrade.
    A pair of entry level but still much beter than stock reae shocks set you back about 200usd, and a set of PD valves and springs for the front forks is slightly less than that.
    It will be still no real adventure bike, but much imoroved over the stock suspension.
    Albeit it has short suspension travel, and small wheels, due to its low weight it is still quite manouverable on gravel and well maintained forest roads.

Attached Files:

16. Sno Leppard

Sno Leppard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive got more apropriate adv bikes in the stable, thos would be a commuter and about 99.9% asphalt, .1%graded gravel on the weekends i might buzz down to camp or something like that. The price tag leaves alot of budget for rain gear so if be ridkng more. 3500 bux is pretty appealing for reliable transportation that yses less gas than a prius
  17. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Likewise. The PCX is not my tool for adventuring, but it is a great commuter returning consistent 85-90mpg in all conditions. I just sometimes like to get the longer route home. :-)
    The Tucano, a lerger windshield and grip heating keeps me on the bike even during winter. I have a set of oversized heidenau K66 wintertex rubber, (110/70 and 120/70 front and rear) and I'm good to go. I think the lowest recorded I've ridden was -12 degC but that was a bitt too chilly I recon.
    It hasn't missed a beat during the last four years of ownership.
    Sno Leppard likes this.
  18. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use mine for a 20 mile commute daily when it's not winter here in Minnesota.

Top speed on my '16 PCX is a true 65 mph. That top speed will degrade a few mph as the drive belt wears. It's a hard limited top speed (rev limiter) via electronic governor. I'm 250 ish. I ride it WFO almost all the time.

I have the tall Givi screen on mine. It's not the best looking screen, but you'll love it when it rains.

You should be able to find one for less than $3500.
  19. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    It is a common misconception, but not true.
    There is no speed limiter on the bike (the ECU does not even get the speed signal from the drivegear, only the speedo unit) but the top speed is limited by the gearing of the variator's gearing. When it cannot provide any longer gearing it will hit the engine rev limiter which one might think is an electronic speed limiter.
    This can be overcome with aftermarket variators to improve both acceleration and top speed, and get limited only by available engine power. Most who have done these mods have reached 75-80mph on the 150 model, and 68-75 on the 125 depending on rider size and riding conditions.
    There was also a change in the final drive during the years which can be remedied with buying cheap oem gear pairs and get a longer final drive.

The medium screen is actually helping top speed and economy by spoothing out the aerodinamics of the scoot.
  20. Houstrom46

Houstrom46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We have a '13 PCX150. I'm ~230 ish and riding solo it can get me to about 67/68 indicated to the speedo, so actually probably 64/65 when speedo error is accounted for. Not a very comfortable speed for me on such a small bike but I can go 45-50, or maybe up to 55mph all day long without any problem. Suspension is probably at its limit with just me on the bike, but it will handle the wife on there with me as well. We took it to Key West and Branson last year, and it has plenty of power for the both of us but we have to take it slow over any bumps or dips in the road. Although my wife is the one who mainly rides the scoot, I'm toying with installing a YSS kit for those odd times where we would ride tandem. I would not ride this scoot on anything other than improved roads, but that's just me...