Honda PCX 150

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Southerner, Jun 17, 2012.

1. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's a rev limiter.
  2. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or buy used like @CaseyJones for much less $.

The stock suspension will not handle rutted fire roads.

The scoot will handle 55 mph roads just fine, if level. Mountains not as well.

Mileage is awesome!
  3. Sno Leppard

Sno Leppard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Price is good enough new and a 1 year warranty, plus my fore roads are graded. I think i might do this, maybe. Honestly i dont know nothin about mopeds
  4. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's bring this thread back to life. Here is a recent article on an engine redesign for an upcoming PCX 150 incorporating Honda's VTEC technology:

https://indianautosblog.com/next-gen-honda-pcx-150-v-tec-p318262

In the comments section at the end of the article, someone mentioned it's probably fake news. I guess we can wait and see.
  5. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting findings......

The VTEC technology will certainly help with performance and I wonder if it would increase fuel economy even further? That said its certainly more complex and dealers will want to bank on that VTEC technology with increased service cost. I think this is mostly just dealers taking advantage of the situation but I can see it happening. Not sure if the VTEC technology is really needed in a low cost scooter but it will be interesting to see how it all plays out!
  6. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find it strange that with electric scooters on the horizon, Honda decides to redesign the gas engine on the PCX. Maybe Honda is still in the early stages of designing their electric scooter technology.

My feeling is that Honda could have easily designed a better PCX electric than the one they released in limited numbers last fall in Japan. It's equal to a 50cc scooter. Yet BMW and probably a couple of scooters from Indonesia or South Korea offer much faster battery powered scooters. Honda should be leading the way.
  7. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Unless Honda plans to ditch its PCX Hybrid which uses both gas and electric engines, there's little point to adding VTEC to the PCX.

Honda already offers an all electric PCX but I think it's only available in Japan.
  8. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    There is a whole engine family built around the same scooter engine what is used in the PCX and sold in hundreds of thousands of bikes in various capacities through the world. While the PCX is an entry level scooter in Europe, it is considered BC as the luxury model in Asia. This market is where Honda sells literally millions of bikes, and where the NMax is currently stepping on it's toes. It ( the Nmax) had been designed to have ABS and be a bit lighter (these had been addressed by the current pcx release) - but also a bit more powerful by using a simple camshifting variable intake. Given the huge volumes the pcx derived bikes sell worldwide, and the prestige to bring back Vtech and being able to decrease Co2 emissions for a large fleet I think this would be a logical move. Again especially in Asia, where personal mobility is still on bikes, hybrid solutions would be too expensive to market and support, and apart from major cities the infrastructure is not available in the short term for electric bikes.
    Just my two cents tho.
  9. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    For the record, Joan got 130 mpg today (has been getting 116 to 130 mpg since we have been in the Black Hills) on her PCX... spirited riding, hills and curves, generally doing 50 mph or less, but not lollygagging. Who needs a hybrid with that kind of fuel mileage?? :-)
    Speedtrap, klaviator and theloop like this.
  10. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, bring this thread back to life. But if it were up to me, you can kill the VTEC now.

If they have to use the VTEC, I hope its much improved over what it use to be. I had a sixth generation (2006) VFR 800 Interceptor. Many on the forums reported that it ruined the Interceptor because of it being incorporated. I never rode the previous one so I can't opine on that. But in practice it didn't improve the riding experience for me and many others, it just seemed like another thing to mange during the ride.

For those unfamiliar, That VFR had a four valve head but only two were operational until somewhere around 6800 rpm, then the other two opened up. There was an audible noise increase and some extra power when they did. However I don't remember it being a torque monster down low or overly fast on top nor the gas mileage great. Anyhow, there was a slight dip in power according to the HP graphs just before all the valves were open. I could actually feel that dip then a sudden power increase if rolling on the throttle. Kind of like hitting passing gear in a car with an automatic transmission. The transition wasn't super smooth which was okay in a straight line but no so much fun in the middle of a corner. A little bit like the on/off transition on many FI bikes. With a Power Commander added and some dyno time ($), I was able to get the bike running very nice and almost make a seamless transition to the four valves.

I had the bike for a while but didn't keep it long enough for a valve check. My understanding is that there weren't all that many Honda mechanics experienced in the extra complexity of one either. So to sum up, extra complexity, probably more weight and meh performance. If I need more performance from a PCX I'd just get a 200-300 instead.

So to current PCX talk. I bought my 2018 US model used with 700 miles on it a year ago. I've put an additional 3000 miles on it since and having a ball with it. Seems like a cross somewhere between my Burgman 650 and a carbon fiber bicycle if that makes sense. I didn't know if the previous owner had checked the valves or not but I figured even though it was running great, starting immediately and not clattering, I probably better check them. Happy to report mine were spot on at 3500 miles.

I'd like to do the Cannonball rally next year on it in spite of giving up some top end to the now popular choice of an SMAX.
    The Virginian likes this.
  11. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    V-tec wouldn't be an improvement for a small capacity scooter engine.
    What the PCX needs is a regular four valve head and more cubes.
    A 20 bhp 200cc PCX would be A Good Thing.
    Shin1ichi2002 and Speedtrap like this.
  12. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why is it scooter riders always want more CC's from their small bike. Just get a different bike. The Passport yahoo group is full of people waning for more CC's and better speed. Those are the ones that miss the boat on the joy of riding a small bike fast, because that is where the fun is.

The PCX seems a good choice if all you do is in town and then like Jim and Joan seem to do...holiganing it up and down the black hills.

That bike... even more so than the SH150.. has found the perfect combo between speed and MPG. It's the sweet spot. The Smax is faster but gets about 30 percent less MPG's. There s always a cost. If you want 100 MPG or better and be able to get around town quick, the PCX is the steed indeed.
    Speedtrap, CaptnJim and MrVvrroomm like this.
  13. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently riding mine around Oahu. Perfect money saver since traffic is bad and gas is a rip off. 8600 miles and still on factory tires. I'm going to replace it at 9000 miles and repaint the exhaust since it's showing some surface rust.
  14. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    We got around 8500 miles on the OEM rear tire, between 10,000 and 11,000 on the front. (two different PCXes). Joan was disappointed today when she only got 117 mpg on a fill-up today. More highway miles than lower speed limit twisties.
    Redoubt likes this.
  15. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I learning how to ride mine a little better/smarter now, at least based on gas mileage. At first I was getting mid to upper 90's for mileage but the last four fill ups have me averaging 107 with my 215 lbs on board. I'm not a hyper miler kind of guy but I'm over the moon with that.

I bought the bike with 700 miles on it and am currently at 3900 so part of it might be that it's fully broken in now? Who cares though right, it sure works for me. BTW, that's using mid grade gas now too. It's not cost prohibitive but I like slightly higher mileage numbers I get with it.
  16. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I sold my PCX at 19,500 miles it still had the original IRC front tyre on and there was still plenty tread left.
  17. tbonestone

tbonestone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had my PCX stolen this week, and insurance being insurance found a way to screw me. Until my '13 PCX was stolen, I used an NCY super transmission kit. What a huge difference! The overdrive pulley made the ride amazing! I could pull like none other, and still hold 60mph with authority. I found a sweet spot with 10gr roller weights. I am a mile high in Denver, Co. so your results may vary. The last fill up was 1.25gal, and the trip computer said 125mi. I don't love to look at a PCX, but I love to ride a PCX.
  18. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    On Friday when we filled up, Joan got 132 mpg on her PCX; mostly through the hills and the twisties. What an impressive small scoot!
    wanna bECO, Speedtrap and klaviator like this.
  19. Inoplanetyanin

Inoplanetyanin One day closer!

Oddometer:
    Rode PCX from New Jersey to Los Angeles in July. Bike performed superbly. Got over 100 mpg and had plenty of power even at 13000 ft in Colorado mountains. Plenty of storage with 60 L dry bag. Original tire is becoming thin at 6500 miles so I just ordered a new Michelin. Plan to ride to Norcal or Utah in two weeks.

Attached Files:

20. ScooterJon

ScooterJon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What reason did the insurance use to deny the claim??