Honda PCX 150

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Southerner, Jun 17, 2012.

1. glasseye

glasseye n00b

Oddometer:
    Never considered one of those. I'm 6' 180lbs. I don't think I'd like one much.
    I want to do day-long trips. 90% pavement. Not afraid of gravel.

Still considering options...
  2. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The weather won't bother a scoot. Lots of folks keep theirs outside all the time.

A scoot inside will block your kitchen too.

I'd rather roll a scoot off a hitch carrier when I needed rear access than have to put one in and out of the side door every night. I sold a Trail CT110 recently and the guy had a hitch carrier. I rolled it up for him and was surprised how easy it was.

Btw- great setup, highly jealous. I already cruised the net to see what a van like that goes for near me.
  3. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kev187 is larger than you, and enjoys his Grom. This photo borrowed from his post in the Grom thread on Battle Scooters:

[​IMG]

More here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26210866&postcount=1398

I suspect a Grom would be better than a scooter on gravel, but no experience, just conjecture.
  4. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    What did you do if anything to insulate from cold temp?
  5. syncro87

syncro87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'd probably pick up a DR200SE or Super Sherpa if I had a Sprinter setup like yours. I rode one (DR) during the MSF course and really liked it. A lot more rugged than a PCX for hauling around, too, and 100x better on gravel. Super easy to ride and versatile.
  6. glasseye

glasseye n00b

Oddometer:
    Agreed on the D200 versatility. It's also over a grand more dollars than the scooter. The seat looks like I'd last about a hundred miles before my ass gave out.

I once carried Specialized bicycle on a rear hitch mount for a while. One good stretch of I-5 in the rain and every bearing on the bike was toast. Possibly a good tarp/wrap would help, but that'd sure slow down the load/unload cycle.

"Frito" (the potato chip truck) has limited temperature insulation. I just don't use it for camping in the winter. I did do extensive sound insulation, though. He's as quiet as a Merc inside now, except for the diesel.

Here's a post on Frito's origins and his first road trip. I bought him sight-unseen off eBay.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7135
  7. syncro87

Oddometer:
    Oh, I meant a used DR. They made them for years, and they are common on the used market. Pretty easy to find pristine ones with low mileage for very reasonable money if you look around for a while. You could find one cheap enough that it would leave you money in the budget to have the seat sent out to a custom place if it was an issue. I don't think a DR seat is any better or worse than the average scooter seat, really, having ridden one for two solid days. I'd probably get an airhawk or something and leave it alone.

I have a PCX now that I really like, but if I needed a smaller cycle to take with me on travels, I think a DR is a better choice than my PCX by far. Far more rugged, can be used for more things, way bigger wheels/tires. PCX arguably looks cooler.

Old Honda Trail 90 might be an option. Can be found in nice used shape for cheap money. Slow, though.

If I had to have a scooter, used Big Ruckus might be tempting in your situation.
  8. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aren't the elusive Ruckii Giganticus rather pricey?

My vote for an RV scoot is TW200:

[​IMG]
  9. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    Glasseye, I suspect your Sprinter would be overloaded with a bumper carrier and a small scooter anyway. I have a Sprinter 3500 RV (dual rear wheels) and my max tongue weight is 500 lbs.

With 75# for the Versahaul my SYM HD 200 fits within the guidelines, but I don't love having the weight hanging off the rear. I suspect your unit allows 350# or less at the hitch.

Perhaps better to consider something to fit inside, or a small pull behind trailer; that would essentially remove the limits of what kind of bike/scooter you can take with you.
  10. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. Someone who actually does it and knows a bumper carrier isn't the way to go.

Glasseye- have you considered. Sym symba? I bet it would do what you want.

Also, your pics of the desert are awesome! Saw some on the Sprinter site. You really need some type of scoot so you can take pics with scoots in the desert and post them here!
  11. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that link. What a drive!
  12. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 great machine. Almost bought one last year and regret not pulling the trigger on it.
  13. klx250sfguy

klx250sfguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, a TeeDub would be a great choice.

Glasseye - I checked out your links - great pics !!
  14. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Does anyone make a real metal rear rack for the PCX 150 ?
    If not would you buy one if someone put them out there ? Just wondering about this tonight .
  15. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most common seems to be the Honda part 08L70-KZY-910 01, which is made for a top box, but is a sturdy base for whatever you want to mount to it. I am planning to go that route.

Photo credit to PCXCommuter:

[​IMG]

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?t=947

Webike in Japan has some nice-looking racks.

http://japan.webike.net/HONDA/PCX150/Carriers/6334/1121/mc/

[​IMG]
  16. glasseye

glasseye n00b

Oddometer:
    Very appealing. Been watching these for a few years now. Pretty expensive compared to a PCX 150, but lots more capability. If I could find a good used one...

Still gonna ride a PCX for the first time next week.
  17. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been riding around on the 2011 PCX125 and 2015 PCX 150.

The larger tank on the 2015 is a definite plus. Despite both scoots returning excellent fuel economy the extra half gallon seems to make all the difference. I went here there and everywhere the past 2 weeks and the fuel gauge did not drop all that fast. Finely filled up with a 1/4 tank showing (2 bars) and it took 1.8 gallons. I traveled 184 miles. This works out to about 102 MPG on the 2015. This is about 12 more MPG then my last reported average on the PCX 125. With the lower fuel economy on the 2011 plus the smaller tank the range really feels considerably less. This past tank on the 2011 I was hunting for fuel at the 120 mile mark.

Interestingly both scoots seem to have about the same power and speed. Can't seem to really notice much difference between them in every day riding. It does sort of seem that the 2015 with the 150cc ESP motor does feel slightly less bizzy and relaxed and seems to handle 50 to 55 MPH with a little less stress but differences are surprisingly slight. It would be interesting to ride a 2013 some day and see if it ends up being the speed demon of the PCX line. I suspect the 2015 is a little larger and a little heavier plus supposedly Honda changed the final gear ratio slightly on the 2015 making it a little less fast in exchange for being slightly quicker off the line or some variation of that.

In comparison to the S-Max 155 its a toss up. The fit and finish on the PCX is first rate on both but I think the PCX has a slight lead. I am pretty sure the S-Max is considerably faster and quicker at least it seems like this using my unscientific butt dyno. Of coarse the trade off is fuel economy (82 vs 102) in my limited testing.

I do find that the PCX is more comfortable and has more room. However the S-Max is more comfortable in cold weather because of the stock windshield. High speed stability is good on both but the larger wheels on the PCX seems to help a bit.

Overall still loving my PCX's :D
  18. syncro87

Oddometer:
    OEM metal Honda rack. Available on Amazon. Here is a pic of it mounted on my '13 PCX and with attached Givi box.

[​IMG]
  19. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps a TW200 ?. Don't forget about them , check them out.
  20. syncro87

Oddometer:
    TW would if I did more offroad. I think a DR200SE would be a touch better on road, and the seat might be a bit higher and less cramped legs. I like those fat tires on the TW though for softer stuff. I recommended one to my father in law recently who has a farm. I think a TW would be close to ideal if you wanted a little farm bike to ride around.