Honda PCX 150

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Southerner, Jun 17, 2012.

1. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    I filled up again today - got a new all-time low for mpg: 94. I have been taking my wife to work, up until today... we both had to leave for work at 7:30... yeah, in the morning (Whose idea was this?). So, the PCX (mine) has been hauling the two of us up and down the steep streets in Friday Harbor.

Chilly. This island boy isn't used to dressing in layers. Tomorrow is supposed to be a day off for me, but I agreed to do an early charter. 13 mile commute to work... nice twisty roads almost all the way... 45 mph speed limit. Just about the ideal situation for the scoots. Well, except for that chilly thing.
  2. FizzyRascal

FizzyRascal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Cap'n

I've been out for a few shortish rides - but on my Burger 200 - I must use the PCX - I'll do it this week. :norton
  3. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Fun to change it up once in a while, no doubt. :1drink
  4. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Honda part #08L70-KZY-910

Easy-peasy, no problems, took about 45 minutes. Read a very helpful tutorial from PCX Commuter on the PCX forum, his suggestion to remove the clips for easy, risk-free dry-fitting was excellent.

Very sturdy. Not sure yet whether I'll buy a 2nd Givi Monokey base and use the V46 top-case from my motorcycle (sounds too large, haven't check it out yet), a milk crate, or maybe a flat alum. plate with holes & slots for bungee net, Rok-straps.
  5. syncro87

syncro87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure to take a look now that it's mounted and make sure the rack posts aren't touching the edges of the holes in the plastic tail piece at any point. You want a small gap the whole way around the post so there is no plastic / metal contact. If there is contact, you'll potentially get a stress crack in the tail plastic at some point. I found this out the hard way. Thankfully, the tail part is super cheap, so I just ordered another one.
  6. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks synchro. I will check. If tight, the Dremel with the sanding drum should make quick work of it.

I looked for Givi E 251 Series Mounting Plate on line last night. That would allow me to move my V46 Monokey box back & forth from my moto to the scooter. Price is stupid for 2 bits of molded plastic! For less than double the E251 plate, I can get a new 30 - 33L Shad or Givi Monolock box complete with mounting plate.

I placed the V46 on the PCX and it didn't look ridiculous - I was concerned it would be too large. The size / wind-resistance of the larger box could be more noticeable at speed though. Givi / Shad boxes are shaped to reduce drag, so maybe not a concern. And on my motorcycle, I don't put heavy things in the top box, usually rain gear, map, spare gloves, or light shopping. With the PCX, I have under-seat storage for weighty items.

There are no top boxes used on Kijiji that are close enough to me to consider.

Starting to think harder about a milk crate. Price is right, and unlike a top box, I could bungee a pizza on top!
  7. sendler

sendler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My midsized Givi top box carries a pizza but hanging out the back with a bungie holding it closed.
  8. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where there is a will, there is a way...

The V46 on my motorcycle would hold a med/lge pizza inside, though a smaller, approx 30 L box on the scooter would be fine with me. Pizza carrying isn't a high priority, but more utility is.

I found someone selling a Givi Monokey adapter plate cheaply, but he is 75 minutes away, so saving $50 is not worth it. Oddly enough, the seller was in my hometown yesterday, and I was in his, but I didn't see the ad until this morning.
  9. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scored a Kijiji Givi Monokey mounting plate cheaply, and mounted it today:

[​IMG]

I posted more photos in the top box thread, so won't post them again here.

I can now swap the box back and forth between my scooter and my motorcycle, for a minimal investment.
  10. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I miss having a clock on the bike, so I searched up a cheap one from Deal Extreme.

[​IMG]

I wrapped the handle bar with a strip from an old moto tube, secured with electrical tape, so it would be tight and the set screw wouldn't scratch the bar.

DX.com had others l thought would be more legible, but I am cheap, so this one at $9 including delivery should do fine.
  11. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at this honda rack, I wonder if the SH top box fits...looks like the mounting is the same.

12. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be surprised. Honda would likely reuse mounting plate design to keep costs down.

I drilled and tapped for the Givi mounting plate in the front, since one can't reach underneath with a wrench, and used nuts and bolts for the rear, all with the Givi square washers.

The Honda rack is heavy, cast aluminum, and a very high quality piece. I could have easily mounted an alum plate with slots and holes for tie-downs, and had a nice rear rack, but I went with the existing top box, sharing-with-motorcycle arrangement.

Plus, unlike the Givi mounts, when I sell the PCX, the rack is still a useful add-on, while the top box stays with the moto.
  13. schizm722

schizm722 n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been a dirt and blood guy since 1977, never owned anything without knobbies. I've ridden many different road bikes in my life, but never anything with 14" rims!

Finances basically forced me to think of getting a scooter, and after reading many forums and thousands of posts, I picked up a 2015 PCX150 in white a few days ago. Many of you guys here helped me in my decision so I'm sticking with this forum. I was about to buy a Kymco, but I've always been a Honda fan so I went with the PCX.

So far I'm amazed with this scooter! I'm 6'4" & 200 lbs, and this thing is quite impressive. I cruise at 45mph and the scooter isn't even taxed on these slightly hilly roads here in Hot Springs. I have plenty of leg room, it's very very comfortable, and I don't look like a monkey humping a football (which is what I thought was going to be the case), and with 62 miles on the scooter, it's reading 114mpg! What? 114mpg???

I've been working on/maintaining/repairing and modding dirt bikes since the 80's, but this scooter seems more like a car than a motorcycle at this point. I'm a scoot newb!
    I don't plan on doing any modifications to the engine, etc. anytime soon, but I'm gonna have to tear this thing apart so I can get a grip on where everything is at and what is going on so I can do the proper maintenance it requires. I'm going to order the factory service manual from Helm Inc. here soon so I can tear it apart with confidence.

Anyway, greetings to you all, and thanks for all the info that helped me to decide on what seems to be one of the best scooters out there. I'm loving this thing!
  14. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    If my Elite110 ever wears out, I'm either gonna get another one or get a pcx for it's frugality...can't beat it's fuel sipping abilities. Last checked my elite is getting 95mpg with taller gearing.
  15. thunderkat59

thunderkat59 Old cooter on a slow scooter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on new scoot . . . :freaky
    I just got a pcx 125(traded a Burgman400 for it) and the same thing. Im totally amazed at what a small bike can do these days. I got it just for city riding, but after having it a few months, I might risk a back road road trip. Honda really hit the mark with these PCX's. The only thing that is bothersome is the same thing that is bothersome on all scooters--That hump thing on the seat, that has to go. Other than that, I cant find any more undesirable stuff.
  16. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Congrats and welcome aboard! We were in Hot Springs in April - some great riding to be had there! :clap Enjoy the new scoot!
  17. schizm722

schizm722 n00b

Oddometer:
    Glad you like yours as well! Being on moto-x & enduro bikes my whole life, I always liked the aftermarket seats that kept you in the most efficient riding position by use of the "humps" or small step-ups behind your butt, so I don't even notice the seat hump on the scooter. Of course the 2015 has a completely different seat than the earlier models, more of a gradual step-up rather than that hump thing.
  18. schizm722

schizm722 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Yes, there are some very beautiful and fun places to ride here, especially in the Ozarks (just have to stay out of the way of the crotch rockets lol, they love those twisties in the Ozarks)...
  19. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    I traded in my Elite 110 on the PCX. The PCX actually gets better fuel economy than the 110 did (not by much, but better) because with the 110 I was literally on the throttle stop at all times. The PCX cruises nicely at half throttle. The 110 averaged around 96mpg. The PCX is normally 99. something to 101. something.

I had a low of 91 MPG on one trip that involved interstate, and keeping just off the rev limiter, about 68 MPH.

The PCX is more solid, has better brakes, handles better, and cruises effortlessly at 55. The 110 has more storage, a way better glove box, and no hump on the floor.

Honestly, my next scoot will be a gently ridden, well cared for Reflex 250. No PITA involved in valve adjustments. Why couldn't they make the new ones easy to work on?
  20. Hooksta

Hooksta Hook

Oddometer:
    If any of you know of someone in the market for a Honda PCX I put mine up for sale in the Flea Market for $2,900. It's a black 2015 with less than 200 miles....167 to be exact.

I had hopes my wife and I would both get them and ride together. It didn't play out that way.