Honda PCX 150

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Southerner, Jun 17, 2012.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Red is back for 2016!

[​IMG]
  2. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Yeah, I be likin' that red! :clap
  3. JoshM

JoshM 2006 Honda VTX1300C

Oddometer:
  4. sendler

sendler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welp, Joined the PCX crowd. Picked up a near mint 2013 with 2800 miles on it for less than $2000. PO did the humpectomy, but I didin't like how the seat pushed me forward and was sitting on my tail bone. I pulled the cover off, used a power sander to dish the seat foam like a Corbin seat might have. Also added a 1" wedge of foam under the nose foam section to take any forward slope away, much better. Added a Givi mid screen and 13G sliders. The screen gave me +4mph top speed (63 was about all I could do on level ground, even with sliders), I must not have an aerodynamic torso!

Sendler - I don't really understand why the NMAX is better or less quirky than the SMAX? Doing a model comparison shows that it has slightly better power, most likely due to VVT. However, it has a MUCH smaller front brake disk and slightly smaller front tire. Aside from being significantly lighter, what is better? Also, its not a step through, which most SMAX owners seem to want. Honestly, I really don't understand why Yamaha produces both? I might be missing something though.

Knieper1 - What plastic did you have to take off to get to the rear of the headlight assembly to drill holes? Is it just the dash, or do the side panels come off? Any photos or guide on where all the fasteners might be?
  6. sendler

sendler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Nmax has standard ABS and more legroom in the feet forward position than the Smax. And a lower fuel tank so you do not feel the fuel sloshing the bike around changing the balance as you manuver in parking lots as you do with the Smax.
    CMS likes this.
  7. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Temps are frequently in the 30's and 40's now when I go to work, and I am starting to plan for end of season maintenance & storage. Damn that is depressing.

I went 83 days this summer between fill-ups in my F150 (of course it is a large gas tank). Wifey and I shared the truck all summer, due to her loaning her car to our sons (sequentially, not at the same time) from May 1 until mid-Oct., since she rides her Vespa when it is warm.

My PCX lifetime average is 87.1 US MPG vs. my F150's lifetime average of 17.7 MPG. The PCX took a fuel economy hit on our vacation when it was heavily loaded combined with high-speed (lots of 60 MPH). While lower than some report, the efficiency is impressive.

I like having a scooter!
  8. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I haven't posted anything in this thread in a while. Out scooting around today, enjoying the beautiful weather (81º, mostly sunny). Grabbed a scooter tag, posted a new one. We filled up the gas tanks: the Blonde (as always) got 104 mpg, I got 99. I may have to try drafting her. :lol3
  9. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    She might make a good aerodynamic windbreak and force you to slow down a little. So who is heavier?
  10. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    If you can't tell from the tiny avatar photo, I have her by a pound or... 50. :jack In every dimension or measure, except leg length, I present a bigger presence to the wind. I completely understand why she always gets better fuel mileage than I do (physics)... she just likes to rub it in. Interesting how we can be so supportive of each other... yet, so competitive. :lol3 :rogue

One thing we definitely agree on: these PCXes have been a good choice for us.
  11. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    The wife really misses her PCX. I miss it too. I (we) have somewhat enjoyed the Vespa Sprint but it just hasn't been what the PCX was. We're waiting on the 2016s to come out and might pull the trigger on a silver one.
  12. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I wanted a PCX but I do a lot of mountain highway mileage and thought the Honda Forza would suit me better. I think on the smaller motorcycles it is the amount of sail area that you present matters a lot for speed and fuel consumption. Upwind and downwind seems to make a huge difference.

I have often wanted an aviation airspeed indicator more than a speedometer on some of my smaller bikes.
  13. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Curious cabanza - what likes and dislikes for the Sprint? I would have loved a Sprint, but it was so much more expensive than the PCX, and this is my first scooter, so I wasn't sure how much I would like it. My PCX does everything I ask of it, in the usual Honda fashion, but that Sprint is dead sexy.
  14. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    The PCX fits my wife a little better (lower seat). It has a larger trunk, much better gas mileage and runs on regular. I'd say the Sprint is a little sportier but the PCX is more GT. The wheel size makes a big difference. I'd say the PCX is easier to live with. In comparison, we put about 2,800 miles on the PCX in one year. We are getting close to owning the Sprint for a year and it doesn't even have 900 miles on it. Our Super Cubs have more miles than the Sprint.
  15. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    The Vespa is cute. Sexy? Well, they do have a history of having pretty women draped on them. I think they are nostalgic looking, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way. The heart wants what the heart wants, regardless of what makes the most sense on paper. I like that we have plenty of options in the 150 class.

In my younger years, I changed cars and motorcycles frequently. I enjoy reading about folks here who own more than one scoot or motorcycle, but that doesn't work for our current wandering lifestyle, so I figure how we will really utilize any vehicle/vessel. The PCXes were a bit of a leap of faith (having never owned a scooter before), but have turned out to be even better than I anticipated (for us).

On the bright side, if you make a change in two-wheeled conveyance, and decide you really prefer the previous choice... well, all it takes is money. :evil
    KNIEPER1 likes this.
  16. The Kurgan

The Kurgan Firing on one cylinder

Oddometer:
    North of 49, in a place called The Hammer
    ... what's that "big thingy" on the floorboard between where your legs are supposed to go? ;)

Oh... never mind... it still looks prudy! :)
  17. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    That thingy is where you squeeze in with your feet when you're tearing up the twisties. It also has the support that keeps the frame stiffer than those flat floorboard scooters. :D I rode motorcycles for 46 years before getting these scoots... none of 'em had a flat floorboard and I managed to enjoy the riding. I have a small cat - no need to carry a 50 pound bag of food; I don't drink beer, so I don't have to load up cases and have my knees above my shoulders. If I want to carry a ladder, I have my truck. :evil
  18. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took the PCX to the dealer today for its "first service" (except fluids). I did the break-in oil change and screen clean at home at 700 km (435 miles).

At 2,053 km (1,275 miles) they found no issues, exhaust valve was in spec at .008", intake was tight at .002", adjusted to .004". This is well-past the specified interval, but this is a modern Honda dammit, and adjusting 1,000 km (600 miles) seems silly. Of course, they did need adjusting, so...

Season is about over here. This was my deck early this morning:

[​IMG]
    Earl isn't sure he likes snow.

This was taken on the way to the city:

[​IMG]
    Today outside Duntroon, ON
  19. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode for an hour after chores were done today, to make sure everything is right after the dealer's service yesterday. Hoped for a last scooter tag, but couldn't find anything "positive".

Was nice ride but I was cold when I got home. Wifey likes the Tusk mitts I got for her. I should get some, or else install heated grips.

Added Star Tron (stabilizer additive) to the fuel tank and topped-up with Premium (no alcohol). Changed engine oil and final drive oil.

Bike needs a wash and then will be ready to tuck in for the winter.
  20. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Just for conversation sake, Jon, there are a lot of Canadians who come to the Tropical Tip for the winter months. How long before retirement for you?