Honda PCX: coming to the US

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cogitate, Sep 17, 2009.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I personally would never consider anything under around 125cc but I recently talked to someone who started on a 50cc scooter to do a few mile commute on roads with low speed limits. He said 50cc was plenty for that. Of course, he eventually moved on to bigger faster bikes.

Have you read "Sydney to London on a Moped Called Dot"? The author rode quite a ways on a Honda CT110 which on its best days could only do around 80KPH and by the end of the trip struggled to do 50.
  2. flatboarder

flatboarder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am happy if my information is of some use for you.
    At the moment it looks like oil consumption stopped completely at approx. 1060 miles (I did an intermediate oil change for testing purpose at 1700km). Lets see when it gets warmer again. At present I have got 3500km, which means: no oil refill from 1700-3500km and still perfect fill level.

Topspeed discussion: I already stated, I am using the PCX for riding 62km x 2 every day, should be around 80miles a day or so. Most of this is full throttle (or limiter) riding and some considerable part of it is full speed riding.
    In case the PCX would appear as like it could not handle this, I would put it on sale, since this is my main use case.
    But it definitely can, perfectly. No noise, no chassis/suspension issues (suspension is too soft but there are no bad issues with it) and steering is precise, neutral and easy up to topspeed. In fact, it rides well at topspeed over longer distances and it could handle even more speed, I guess.
    As already stated, cruising speed keeps between 80 and 90km/h, lets say 50-55mph.
  3. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since before Christmas, I have been in the market for a scooter. Not to replace my other bikes just an addition. My search narrowed to two. This PCX thing and a Sachs MadAss.

[​IMG]

After lurking on The MadAss Army forum and reading about the same quality issues from many posters, I decided on the PCX. A dealer 24miles from me quoted $3399 "best I can do pal". Another dealer 60 miles from said $2999. "Mid-winter special". Twas a no-brainer. Borrowed a truck and away I went,,,,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two wheeled transportation devices sure look sad in the back of a truck, no?
  4. siyeh

Oddometer:
    Since there is three feet of snow on the ground and roads all ice, snow, and salt I am not going to be commuting on it any time soon. So off to the basement PCX went.

Had to plow a path thru what our last blizzard dumped on my lawn. I have just the tool to do that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My son pitched in to help.

[​IMG]

PCX is sleeping with three other bikes. She has some company. I hope they all get along down there.
  5. flatboarder

flatboarder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    siyeh, have fun with it. Hope you will be enjoying riding as much as I do.
    I got my second set of wheels the day before yesterday (ordered from a small shop in Thailand, which is considerable cheaper than getting it via local Honda dealers) which makes changing to winter tires a lot easier.

Phil
  6. siyeh

Oddometer:
    I have put one mile on her. Took her up to 20 mph. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

[​IMG]

Had to wipe some road salt grime off of her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far so good. I think most of our snow will be gone in a month or so.

Good night PCX. See ya in a bit,,,
  7. LarryRickenbacker

LarryRickenbacker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy,

The PCX is the Halle Berry of scooters, Siyeh! I came close to getting a white PCX myself in December, but opted for a lightly used Sh150i for $4200 OTD.
    I'll bet you'll find your MPG to be ridiculous. Don't be surprised to find a cute college girl sitting on the back when you emerge from the gas station! This happened to me twice in the 12 months I had my Daelim S2-125, and your bike is better looking! :clap
  8. siyeh

Oddometer:
    Well it was 26 degrees here this morning. But the roads were bare of salt and ice. And 6 - 10 inches of snow is in the forecast soon. So I thought I should get a quick ride into town on the PCX. Still breaking it in so only held in wide open throttle for about 30 seconds. I got 63 MPH on the speedo but the GPS showed 58. That pleased me because it sure felt like it had more to give.

[​IMG]

Being able to hold 60 will give me a few choices on my commute. One route is 55 all the way and the other is 45 at first then 35. It handled very well on our frost heaved roads. I have only done two mods to it so far. :eek1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This thing seems like it will be a ton of fun when it warms up some more. I see GIVI makes a taller windscreen. More research and testing needs to be done since I only have 22 miles on it.
  9. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats a reasonable speed. So it probably tops out at 60-63 MPH actual? Thats not bad at all.

I sure love the looks of it too!
  10. siyeh

Oddometer:
    I'm a thinking you're in the ballpark. I have read on some across the ocean interwebs peeps are hitting the limiter at 67/68mph. So on the GPS I would guess between 60-64 actual. Plenty fast enough for me in my intended purpose. The brakes are very good- not touchy- just good. Sure is weird not shifting this thing. I will have to get used to that.

I will report back again when the lil thing get's broke in and the temps warm up.
  11. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The PCX looks like a nice Scooter, beware farkles on tire valve stems. I've seen "tire flys" or whatever they are called cause blowouts, twice.
  12. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

Yep, thats about right. This speed is just fine for almost all riding except interstate, but thats not the intension of this bike, nor is it legal in some states. But the strange thing is I hear the SH has a real accurate speedo, I wander why this isn't as dead on?

I'm interested to hear more about this bike!
  13. siyeh

Oddometer:
    Every metric bike I have ever owned has had an optimistic speedometer. I've just got used to it I guess. My Versys shows 62 on speedo, 55 on GPS. I have cured that by going to a 44 tooth rear sprocket-now it is dead on. :clap

No PCX ride today. Our forecasted snow has changed to freezing rain. All ice up here.
  14. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, my experience has pretty much been the same. But my Elite has the issue of reading 5 MPH under, I believe that the circuit board for the digital speedo is fried.

BTW, how does putting a different rear sprocket on your Versys make it rear more accurate? Wouldn't that just make it run at lower RPMs at 62 MPH with a higher top speed?

The only way I have found to correct inaccurate speedos it to use a little larger tires, it does make a difference. In fact, I've seen trucks with slightly larger off road tires go from being 2 MPH optimistic to 4 MPH over!
  15. siyeh

Oddometer:
    There are other ways also, grasshopper. It must be black magic. :lol3 :lol3 Dozens of Versys owners have replaced the stock 46 tooth rear to a 44 tooth rear right from the dealer's showroom to make first gear more usable. What we found out, as an added bonus, it corrected speedo error.

This is how threads get off topic. I am done,,,
  16. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

Hmm, interesting. I will research this myself, but I will also keep on topic.

Anyways, I am interested in the PCX's performance against the SH. THe SH really doesn't sound much faster. If we are thinking it tops at 64 MPH on GPS, and the SH tops at an indicated 65 MPH [which is SUPPOSED to be pretty dead on accurate for some reason as far as I know], their about the same.

I see no benefit of the SH over the PCX, other than the SH's ability to legally ride the interstate and bigger tires. But the PCX survived, and is being continued in Honda's scooter lineup for 2011. The PCX is cooler looking than the SH, also Fuel Injected, and is a nice little scoot. It is a decent price, but at $3,399 its really more than it needs to be.

But for some reason the Elite 110 didn't make it to 2011, nor did the Metropolitan, actually it was cut from the lineup in 2010. So now all we have are the Ruckus, PCX, and Silverwing.
  17. siyeh

Oddometer:
    third farkle on the PCX

[​IMG]

snowed again last night

snowing right now

more snow on the way

will I ever get to ride this thang? :cry
  18. siyeh

Oddometer:
    So, I was reading this review of the Honda PCX in a Brit scooter magazine. Pretty standard stuff, nothing I have not read in the other reviews already posted in this thread.

http://www.twistngo.com/news/paving-the-way

What really surprised me was the author claims Honda sold 15,042,000 two-wheeled vehicles world-wide in 2009. Can anyone verify this?

That seems like a lot. Not sure I can believe this?
  19. LarryRickenbacker

LarryRickenbacker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy,

One won't find this satisfied Sh150i owner knocking Honda's attractive new PCX. Given the big price difference, the PCX looks poised to take advantage of 2011's rising petrol costs.
    The advantages of the Sh150i over the less costly PCX are few:
    1. 16-inch tires over the PCX's slimmer 14s.
    2. Flat floorboard makes hauling stuff easier...but it's a small floorboard.
    Those are the only things in favor of the Sh150i over the stylish, new PCX. I feel a bit safer on the Sh150i's slightly taller (and somewhat wider) tires, which isn't to be discounted for safety, given Louisiana's horrible roads. It's fair to say that the new PCX has a few advantages over the Sh150i other than price, no?
    Mine was "used" with only 30 miles and available for a great price, otherwise the PCX would've been mine.

PS: If there's a top speed difference between the Sh150i and PCX, it can't be more than what..5 mph?
  20. ferrix

ferrix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remember Honda's core business and bulk of their production is small machines meant for Asia and other developing economies. Honda aimed for 18,000,000 sales in 2010 and although recession probably got in the way of these plans I find the figure of 15,000,000 completely believable.