Honda Rebel 250 Adv Bike

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Lof8, Jan 19, 2015.

1. gun 4 hire

gun 4 hire FTR SSR #90b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, Im in S FL and am doing a similar project on an old Rebel 450. Same issues with the Rubber for the back 15" rim... Other than that its almost there.

I can't find the Woodsmen Cup on FB ...Please help ...PM me if you need to but would be great to post here for others that happen upon this interest ...

Stevo
  2. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as you and your friend are having fun, that's great! A motorcycle mechanic at a dealer in Kona, Hawaii, said he thought the Rebel engine was one of the most bulletproof engines Honda ever made.
  3. Lof8

Lof8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've thought about it. Possibly a future project.

Post some pictures! look for "The WoodsmAn Cup". It may be a hidden group. I'm not sure.
  4. DailyBanana

DailyBanana n00b

Oddometer:

Facebook page is here I believe:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WoodsmanCup

There is also a private group but just search "the woodsman cup" and they should show up.

Edit: they've moved to the private group solely now.
    gun 4 hire likes this.
  5. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good on ya. What a cool project with a non traditional bike. Love it. Gonna never scoff at another cheap for sale rebel again.
  6. SCS

SCS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This makes me want to get another Rebel. I need to stop selling my damn bikes!
  7. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice project looks very cool. I see a Miata in the background. A 250 is the perfect stablemate. I have a 2001SE Miata and a CBR250R.

Just added a $1,600 1995 Geo Tracker LSi 4x4 hi-lo to my mini-vehicle collection for surf fishing. It came with a receiver hitch and I'm getting the Harbor Freight $100 500 pound rear carrier for the cooler and to add rod holders to and the $130 motorcycle hitch carrier for longer road trips (three hour drive to get inland and off the penninsula away from cities). Also putting on VanTech permanent roof rack on the hard shell and ProLine safari rack for beach chairs, umbrellas, etc..

Point is, fun to play with used stuff you don't have much money in and if it's been taken care of, plenty reliable. The all aluminum engine in the Tracker is a jewel helping to keep weight down to 2250 pounds.
  8. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    ok this thread is awesome

:lurk
    FJ Fun likes this.
  9. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh,...well,.....I don't have any great deals on motorcycles or cars. But, a few weeks ago, I did buy a used treadmill for $17.00 that works just fine. And our daughter bought one at the same place for $20.00 that works fine too.
  10. St.Stan

St.Stan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody remember the "bag the bus" ad when the Rebel first came out? All these years and they are still making them.

I'm with you on the sportster, it would be one of the best bikes going if it were a hundred pounds lighter.
  11. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    A nighthawk would be a better starting point, normal pegs and seat, better forks, same motor.
    No brakes, but who needs those in the dirt...
  12. Lof8

Lof8 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I like your style! The miata was $1500 and came with the hardtop, which sell for $1000 all day. It's set up for "rallycross," which basically means beating the shit out of it on off-road racetracks. It's been going strong for nearly 2 years with only a clutch slave cylinder replacement.

I considered using a nighthawk for the project but the Rebel has some styling cues that I just prefer. The Nighthawk's smaller diameter forks and drum brakes were also a factor. This bike, although being set up for off-road, probably sees about 75% on-road use.
  13. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    While not cheap, you can have companies like Buchanans drill and lace a rim up to your hub...
  14. Lof8

Lof8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In an effort to get the chain to clear the swingarm, I ordered a pair of larger sprockets and a new chain. It took a lil finesse (grinding) to get the front sprocket to clear the engine case. Bolted it together and took it for a ride! It rode nice, but there was some occasional chain slap against a lower portion of the frame, under the swingarm. I've cut 1.5 coils from the shocks to try to remedy this and I think I've come to a nice compromise.

Now I just need this nighthawk wheel to show up so I can lace the rim onto the rebel hub. I also found a local shop that will true the wheel for a fair price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep coming back to this thread. Nice job Lof8. I imagine there are many more suitable bikes for this project, but you are doing this with a honda fricken rebel! I am certain I don't have the skills or fortitude to do this, but you make it seem so possible. Digging it.
  16. creaky

creaky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job, makes me want to try it.
    Tip: The stator wires coming out of the left case just in front of the drive sprocket can be easily severed as a result of the chain picking up a stick or similar and slicing the wires, don't ask me how I know. Might want to fab a guard plate.
  17. Lof8

Lof8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So here is the Nighthawk rim laced onto the Rebel hub. I had planned to do the assembly myself and use the Nighthawk spokes, however a few of them were rusty and snapped during disassembly. I shipped the hub and rim to Buchanan Spoke and Rim. They laced it up with some of their custom spokes. The cost was a little over $200 and it took about 2 weeks, but the product looks nice. I think the Nighthawk spokes would have done the trick if mine hadn't broken.

A knobby rear tire will finally be mounted up soon and on the bike within the week.

[​IMG]
  18. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    OK, originally I thought you were off your cake, but I gotta admit- this is a fucking cool build. Well done.
  19. Lof8

Lof8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I'm thinking this is the finished product. She rides well and grips the loose stuff much better!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    gun 4 hire likes this.
  20. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always thought Rebels were great machines , engine wise . I'll ride one , one of these days , might be fun .