Honda Super Cub 110

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Moat

Moat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you do, I and others here, I'm sure, would be very interested to hear your comparison to the Super Cub. Go for it! :evil

I do believe these CG's are a pushrod variation of the OHC CB's - therefore making slightly less power, but supposedly even more durable (hard to imagine). That slight power deficit makes me lean towards the 150 versions... but I really have no idea how they might actually compare.

CGL 125 is a gem, too - and $1000 is just stupid cheap! What's the Cargo - $1500-1800-ish?

Dio 110 - neat little scooter. Odd-looking front brake...

Bob
  2. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    This is my problem right now: I have to take turns to ride my 2 Super Cubs and the Sprint. My wife doesn't ride enough (yet - because it's still somewhat cold) to help me with rotating the bikes. This makes me think that adding another bike would just complicate things even more. So as much as I would like to add a little bike, I am not sure I can work it out.

The Honda Cargo is right around $1,500. That's pretty cheap too.

I think it looks nice. I just wish it had bigger wheels. I think the back is only a 10" wheel.
  3. Moat

Moat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Understood. With three in my stable, it sometimes seems as if I spend nearly as much time addressing issues due to them sitting, as actual riding. :ddog This year, one must go...

Yeah, it is! I see no reason they couldn't bring 'em here to the States for (a very reasonable) MSRP of around, say, $2200-2400 - sell a gazillion - and pocket that additional $700-900 margin to make it worth their while. With new 50cc Ruckus/Zuma's @ $2600+... how could it not work, I have to wonder...

Eeh... just dreamin', I know. Probably the EPA thing, anyways.

Thanks for the info!

Bob
  4. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    a cargo you say? that would be a cool bike to have if you love small 1 person motorcycle. I see then here all around and the delivery kids are way fast! They are used a lot for delivering pizzas and food in general, but they are bullet proof. I think the 125 cc were better build than the 150 cc, there are some minor changes besides the extra 25 cc, a bigger tank and an electric start (for the 150 cc).

My XR150L was stolen, and in the short 2 months I had it, I love it, but it is not the same motor found on the cargo, it has more HP than the Cargo.

Amigo DOUBLE-O G what is the longest ride you have taken? and what are your comments on 1 hr rides on the Super Cub?
    I declare that I will be looking again for a small cc bike, I love my KLR but it is too much for my 3 mile commute that if I was not facing long steep hill with massive traffic I would be bring my bicycle.

Thanks

Damasovi
  5. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Damasovi,

I am sorry to hear that your XR got stolen.

The longest I have done on the Super Cub was a day's ride. We did about 170 miles that day.

You can ride an hour on the Super Cub without a problem BUT if it was for commuting, I would probably look for something else. I think the Honda Cargo is more comfortable than the Super Cub but it also depends on your height.
  6. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes, the cargo might be a better motorcycle but I just love the look of the super cub.. as you know, there is something about it

Thanks and it will be a long long year(s) before I have a second bike.. I will keep reading your posts!

Damasov
  7. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw this photo was," Hey! Your scooter likes you." lol
  8. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Likes me so much more when it is running properly without constriction of poor jetting.:lol3
  9. KLR650Teach

KLR650Teach Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE

Amigo DOUBLE-O G what is the longest ride you have taken? and what are your comments on 1 hr rides on the Super Cub?
    I declare that I will be looking again for a small cc bike, I love my KLR but it is too much for my 3 mile commute that if I was not facing long steep hill with massive traffic I would be bring my bicycle.

Thanks

Damasovi[/QUOTE]

Damasovi, I bought my Super Cub 110 new in 2014 as a sell off from the 2013's. I think I saved about 300 dollars if memory serves me right. I'm currently in Jalisco where I live for the winters. I got the Cub for running around town and to some of the closer urban areas within 20 kms or so of where I am so I havn't put many kms on it yet. I've actually only filled it twice putting putting about 3 litres of fuel in it each time. I've now got just under 300 kms on it.

I've ridden my KLR up to the north shores of Alaska and back from Southern BC Canada and it would not have been a great bike for what I'm doing now as it was quite top heavy and not a very good low speed handling bike. Yet my HD Road Glide was an awesome low speed bike......go figure. Around the area here all the residential area streets are cobble stone with lots of areas missing the stones forming pot holes. Plus the big trucks cause the streets to be rippled like waves in places so they can be very bumpy even without the roughness of the cobble stone surface. That means lots of braking and speeding up again on flat, uphill and downhill inclines. The KLR was just too much of a road pig for that kind of riding around here. But the Super Cub takes it in stride.

Like all new bikes the suspension on the SC was very stiff and I though I was going to get shaken to pieces when I first got on it. I'm a big guy at 6'2'' tall and 220 lbs and the SC pulls me along just fine at speeds of 60 kph in city type driving. Over that speed on the flat I am not able to get much more than 70 kph without a tail wind. Keep in mind tho that the engine is still breaking in and I hope will loosen up enough to give me another 10 kph by the time I get a couple thousand kms on it. I have noticed the suspension is loosening up a bit and is starting to provide a decent level of movement where the cobble stones are not as punishing as they were at first and the bike feels to move fairly smoothly over them on the flat where there are no truck caused bumps in the road.

The seat is also improving each time I get on it. I have to say it was horrific with that first tank of fuel but like most seats they do break in to the shape of a persons butt in a short time and this one is no exception. I could see in the future of being able to go an hour or two without wanting to stop and get some circulation going by walking a few steps or just standing off the bike.

The more time I spend on this bike (and it's not been a lot at just 300 kms) the more I like it and the more respect I have for it's abilities. It runs on fumes......I can't believe how far it will go on a gallon of gas. The figures I've read online state 149 mp US gallon and 170 something for the imperial gallon. I can't confirm or deny this as I'm still in the break in stage of use and I've not been able to do any real tests yet. Last spring when I stored the bike in Mexico when we went back to Canada I ran the bike dry to store it as was recommended by a fellow rider. Turns out I should not have done that. The fuel guage was well below the empty line so I thought I would just let it run dry. Well there was a lot more fuel in it than I thought and it ran for 13 hours before finally coming to a stop. I never would have let it idle that long had I known it uses that little fuel. Hind sight not to be repeated. My point is that I was not able to get a reading of how much fuel was left in the tank vs kms and this time when I filled it up I failed to take note of how many litres I put in. The tank only holds about a gallon and I put 43 pesos in to fill it which should have given me approximately 3 litres. If and I say "If" both fills were roughly the same amount then I should have gotten about 135 mpg - roughly.
    That is well below stated claims but I'm sure it will improve. Plus that is slow speed Mexican town driving where I can rarely get into 3rd gear except on the caraterra.

The more I ride this bike the more confident I become in the idea that "I" could tour on this bike and very inexpensively as well. I've had something like 18 different motorcycles over the years and for the last 10 years or so I've averaged 30,000 kms per year with mostly just weekend riding with the odd small trip thrown in for fun and of course daily commuting so with that experience behind me I get the feel for things fairly quickly. Being tall most bikes leave me reaching for the bars making it uncomfortable after an hour or more but I don't get that feel with the SC. The bars are far enough back with no fuel tank between me and the bars that I don't have to reach and I can sit up fairly straight which on a long trip is better than leaning forward.

The 2013 Honda Super Cub is no speed demon. I'm hoping I will get 80 kph on the flats once it is fully broken in. If I don't........I still like it and would still do a tour on it if I needed to. I think a lesser top speed would just force me to sit back and smell the flowers and appreciate the moment more and not be in such a big rush all the time. Todays modern world tends to catch us up in the idea that everything must be fast. A slower pace might just be the ticket.

I did not buy the Super Cub to tour on or for hwy commuting. I bought it simply for a get around vehicle to cheaply and easily get around the city, shopping, meeting friends for coffee, market, library etc. and for that it is perfect and don't regret the purchase one bit. However, after owning it for this short time I'm seeing much more capability in this small machine than what I'm currently using it for. Read between the lines and think Ushuaya and Patagonia from North America.
  10. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    KLR amigo! thanks for your comments, they are very good for me.

Damasovi
  11. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    It's been a long time since I've posted in my own thread. I haven't been very active in the forum. It's been a busy time trying to make some big things happen.

My wife and I met with Stephanie "Quezzie" last night. She has been riding her Vespa around the US. She has her own thread on ADV:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=977812

She is in San Antonio for the next few days. We took her out to dinner and chatted a bit with her. What an amazing woman! Of course, I let her try one of the Super Cubs I have. She said she loved it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today, she will be joining us for our annual scooter rally. It's called the Spring Fling. There should be more than 100 scooters riding around San Antonio. I will be sure to take some pics and post them later.
  12. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great update to the thread and that restaurant looks the business as well. No food pics? :deal
  13. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    No, sorry. No picture of the food. It's a really nice place that's close to the "river walk" in downtown.

I will be posting some pics from today later tonight.
  14. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    We met up early this morning

[​IMG]

And enjoyed a nice breakfast

[​IMG]

We headed out the rally where lots of people had already gathered

[​IMG]

The ladies tried some older Vespas

[​IMG]

I lusted after this beautiful Yamaha SRX

[​IMG]

We looked at a few cool rides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Listened for directions

[​IMG]

And made some stops along the way

[​IMG]

The yellow Sprint got a lot of looks (I wonder why)

[​IMG]

It was a really nice day. Lots of sun, low 80s. Just about perfect for riding.

Stephanie is staying a couple more days in San Antonio. If time (and weather) permits, I will try and join her for a ride on Monday evening. I have really enjoyed her stories. I too have dreamed of traveling on 2 wheels. I value her perspective on the matter. She makes it look a lot easier than it really is.

She also made me appreciate what I have and where I live. I have been trying to relocate but I gotta say South Texas is somewhat hard to beat. We have a lot going for ourselves down here.
  15. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Looks like the wife and I made it on one of Stephanie's drawings on her blog. She even mentions the Super Cubs in the text. Cool!

The drawing:

[​IMG]
  16. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buy that SRX! You will not be sorry.

Looks like a great day of riding. You folks getting the heat yet?
  17. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    The SRX looks really nice but I don't know.

It's been grey and rainy since the rally. Pretty much no sun. It's somewhat tropical weather with lows in the mid 70s and highs in the low to mid 80s. We should be hitting the 90s already. It's been a very different year so far.
  18. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    It's official: Honda Mexico has stopped selling the Super Cub. I can't say I'm surprised since it was expensive compared to other models.

I took a short ride on mine last evening. Short because I still got this damn tendonitis in my left shoulder and because it's been raining so much here that you gotta time yourself. On the plus side, the drought is long gone.

Both Super Cubs, Panda (the black one) and Polar (the white one) sit at about 1,300 kms or about 800 miles.
  19. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    something bad is going on with Honda Mexico, they are reducing existing models.

Gone are:
    1. Super Cub
    2. Falcon (400 dp)
    3. CBR 600
    4. CBR 1000
    5. Shadow 750

and there are no new models, even de CBR250R is still here, no 300. I see that with sadness, but it is Honda and sometimes it does things like this.

It is difficult to see a racing company with no racing bikes, or a cruiser company without cruisers. The biggest and only cruiser that Honda sells here is a 125 and the biggest sport bike is the CBR250, double purpose bike? a 250 (Tornado).. I guess here is the dumping place for all old models that are no longer sold in other markets (Tornado is discontinue in Brazil since 2013?2012? and CBR250 is gone from the US and replace with the 300).

I hope I can find one (Super Cub) next year when I am ready to buy me a small bike.

Damasovi
  20. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    The wife and I took the Super Cubs out today. We went by our Honda dealer. I was looking at a CB1100 and a sales guy came by and started chatting. He asked what we were riding and we showed him. He then asked if we wanted to trade them in toward the CB1100. Ha.
    SteverinoB likes this.