Honda Super Cub C125

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stuck waiting at the DMV now. Expecting the return trip to be worse.
  2. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    "If I was single that would be my bedroom at home, too!" I am single, divorce was the best thing that ever happen to me. I did get 2 wonderful kids out of the marriage though and they are mainly what gives my life meaning these days. They seem a bit over concerned about my condition, and keep calling and coming over to check on me. A bit annoying, but also appreciated. Nice to have someone who cares about you. Because I am single, I was able to convert my living room into a bike room and I keep 4-5 bikes in there. Not only safe storage, but a cool place to work on them during our long hot summers.

Roswell huh? I have been to Roswell many times. It is mostly a tourist trap. I don't believe the flying saucer story. There is some nice riding through the Hondo Valley. I stopped at the Fox Cave last time I was there. I remember going there when I was 5 years old, and we were moving from AZ to AR. I have ridden thousands of miles all over AR. Beautiful state, especially up north. I wish I could still ride that far. Maybe trailer a scooter there and ride it. If only motels weren't so expensive.

It may seem silly to many, but I have been a member of SETI for almost 20 years.
    clunkerbob and Inoplanetyanin like this.
  3. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Has anybody figured out if there is a cartridge filter conversion?
  4. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider The Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    How does the Super Cub compare to the SYM Symba?
    Power/speed, suspension/ride-comfort?

The Symba I owned was too anemic to get up even moderate local hills at anything over 25mph with my 190lb tush on it, and the ride was jarring.
    I want to like the Super Cub, but am concerned with power and ride quality, and the local dealer won't even let me take a lap around the parking lot.
  5. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Just got back from my run. I did around 130 miles.

Running it hard with throttle open and rpm high seems to have loosened it up some. Feels like the throttle is actually doing something.

I'll grab some oil and change before the next ride. Also adjust the chain and valves.

It was fun though.

Spanish Trail:

IMG_20190918_170906.jpg

IMG_20190918_170938.jpg

Over the mountains in the back would be Amargosa Valley, the gateway to Death Valley. Better believe I'm doing a Death Valley trip on this bike during winter!

Some Potosi summit pics. Conquered the mountain with a construction zone and a tail wind up the mountain. Was able to go ahead of law abiding citizenry.

IMG_20190918_173457.jpg

Carol Lombard crash site on the other side of this mountain:

IMG_20190918_173513.jpg
    clunkerbob, ledcubbie, MYUMPH and 6 others like this.
  6. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Red Rock recreational area:

IMG_20190918_175310.jpg

IMG_20190918_175330.jpg

The Spring Mountains always looking good!

IMG_20190918_175610.jpg

IMG_20190918_175652.jpg
  7. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Lonely highway pic:

IMG_20190918_175707.jpg

Quick photo op with the Joshua Trees:

IMG_20190918_180256.jpg

It was a slow race to get on location for these photos:

IMG_20190918_180816.jpg

IMG_20190918_180829.jpg

Then it was cruising to town back to the homestead.
    ledcubbie, MYUMPH, wanna bECO and 7 others like this.
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Cranking out some more maintenance.

My chain was actually extremely loose. Tightened and added more lube although it was very sticky and clean all from the factory stuff still.

Going to have to pull that bottom chain cover and clean it out. Somehow there is grit in there even though the bike has only ever been on tarmac.

Time to hit the wash rack with it and put it away until the next oil change.
    MYUMPH likes this.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Even after chain work it is still notchy shifting. I'll try adjusting clutch again and the oil change.

Oil change first.
    MYUMPH likes this.
  10. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sold an '81 or '82 Passport because of the notchy shifting. I kept thinking it was going to break every time I shifted it. I already had bought a new 1980 Suzuki GS450L a few years earlier, and gotten used to smooth quiet shifting.
    Oilhed and Chillis like this.
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I'll get it figured out. It shifted good when new. Can't imagine the chain is shot already.
    MYUMPH likes this.
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Been playing with the clutch adjustment and think I am closer to having it dialed.

Need to go test ride again. Oh, for shame! :rofl
    MYUMPH and villageidiot like this.
  13. vintagegarage

vintagegarage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tromper... who is your local dealer? Mine still says they can't get them, and I'd like to have my dealer call your dealer.. thanks
  14. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day four. Woke up at 5am but thought it was 6am, was still on mtn time. AZ has no DST. Had no cell signal so phone time didn't adjust. Got into AZ the day before but didn't notice the state sign and wasn't sure if I was in NM or AZ. The night before it was cold and wet the last 4 or so hours of the ride. This day started the same way, cold and wet. Wanted to cover a lot of miles, 500+, this day so got the early start. Was aiming to get to Joshua Tree, Tweenty Nine Palms if not Yucca Valley. Didn't get warm until dropping into Phoenix area. Didn't get hot until just past Phoenix. Was sunny and clear around Phoenix. More towards Joshua Tree it got cloudy and cool again. The section between Phoenix and Joshua Tree always seems to go on forever. Sometime before Phoenix was behind some dude in a Harley w/o helmet, only sunglasses. He was basically stuck at 50mph cause of wind blast. We kept leap frogging eachother, I'll blast by downhill and hell passes uphill. I finally had to pull over to take off the insulation layer before Phoenix. Got a little lost navigating around Phoenix. Near Joshua Tree had to put back the insulation layer. This day didn't feel very long. Didn't stop to do anything, just ride. Milage cover was about 530. Got to Yucca Valley just after sunset. Stayed at the nicest motel yet, was cheapest one I could find. CA prices are expensive, easy 20%+ more.

Today's ride is the first day that I went WOT the whole time. First day that bike had over 1k miles at the start of the day. It finally felt broken in, everything loosen up. I'm finally feeling settle in and routine. Dropping down in elevation I notice power coming back and the low rev bog is going away. When hot I notice the engine heat on inside of my feet if almost against the motor. Bike is pretty comfy. Feels like I got plenty of leg room, more so then my Elite110 and Monkey. The left feet has less fore/aft room cause of the shifter's front and rear lever but more side to side then right foot. Right foot has the clutch cover sticking out that prevents it from tucking behind the leg shield.
  15. Inoplanetyanin

Inoplanetyanin One day closer!

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report, Binh.

As for the super cub, I would get something bright, like yellow/white combo.

Although my main reservation is whether longevity is compromised in the long run of this air cooled engine compared to a similar sized water cooled one.

Are there any confirmed reports of air cooled motorcycle engines lasting hundreds of thousands of miles as water cooled ones do?
  16. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    New piston/rings and cylinder is relatively low cost and the motor is a piece of cake to work on. Much easier then the Elite110, with all the coolant parts.
  17. kevrags

kevrags Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Chillis, I've been out of town and will have to take a rain check. I'm in Oregon - this is nice looking scooter country. Great pics you've been posting of the SC!
    Chillis likes this.
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    You should look online for the video of the guy punishing the old Cub. They are one of the most reliable vehicles.
  19. ledcubbie

ledcubbie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A Cub can last longer than it’s owner. A lot of Cubs have been around the world (Ed March). The ol BMW airheads are incredibly long lasting engines also. Don’t let KTMs junk air cooled engines influence you. Honda’s run forever with minimal maintenance.
    BMWzenrider and cogitate like this.
  20. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake City Honda in Seattle.