Honda Super Cub C125

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Oct 26, 2017.

1. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    Having durability tested a few of the old CT70 motors, ahem, I have no doubt it will last a long time. Do you really ride a moto for hundreds of thousands of miles? A lot of other stuff will wear out in that amount of mileage/time to cover that mileage, way before the motor.
  2. Inoplanetyanin

Inoplanetyanin One day closer!

Oddometer:
    His engine troubles is precisely the reason for the question and something I would like to avoid.

I know the air cooled engines have much greater tolerances in order to maintain compression and to avoid seizing the piston that expands more when it heats up, all compared to the liquid cooled engines, where compression is greater, tolerances are smaller and performance is therefore greater too.

So I wonder if the higher temperatures of an air cooled engine, paired with greater expansion contraction cycles will result in faster wear rate and eventual end of useful life compared to a liquid cooled engine all other things being equal.

Would be fun to see a technical article addressing these questions, or reports of a long lasting air cooled engine that's documented well. I know Binh put 70,000 miles on a liquid cooled Elite 110, but even he had to replace the cylinder head gasket and had the overheating issues.

Also wondering, given that vast majority of automotive engines are liquid cooled, and a significant number of motorcycle small engines is also liquid cooled, what is the main reason these engines in Cubs and Monkeys are air cooled? Is it the ease of maintenance for third world countries? The cost of manufacturing, maintenance, repair? I doubt that the choice to use an air cooled engine is to extend a useful life on an engine before major repairs are necessary.
  3. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed's Ninety was also 20-25 years old when he set off on the trip with an unknown maintenance history.
    ErikDK and Chillis like this.
  4. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Liquid cooled engines typically run leaner and cleaner, since combustion temperatures can be more precisely controlled. As a general rule they tend to last longer too, because the tolerances can be more precise with better temperature control.

The Honda engines are not highly stressed. There are cubs out there reported to have run over 100,000 miles without rebuild. The cost of parts are cheap enough and the process is so easy this would be one of the last things on my mind if I was going to buy a cub.
    clunkerbob, siyeh, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  5. Inoplanetyanin

Inoplanetyanin One day closer!

Oddometer:
    I guess this article answers my question - liquid cooled motorcycle engines have a generally better long term durability...
    https://www.youmotorcycle.com/air-cooled-vs-liquid-cooled-motorcycle-engines.html

The thing is, I often ride my bikes in the desert in 100F+, loaded and uphill. My liquid cooled temp gauge is often approaching hot, so I think if the engine is air cooled, it would be basically overheating. In fact, I rode a 2008 Honda CRF 230L, air cooled bike, at 75 mph, in 110F from Vegas to LA and at the end of the ride, I heard a distinct and audible valve ticking that was not there before the ride (I suspect the oil viscosity was degraded so much that it allowed the valve train to become noisy).
  6. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Air cool with the looser tolerance needs thicker oil. Honda says 10w-30, mainly for fuel economy, but that would be for around town normal riding. Where as with WOT all day in hot weather you'll want 10w-40 or maybe even 20w-50. Walmart now has all three:
    IMG_2088.JPG
  7. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was at my dealer on Saturday. They said they are getting another Super Cub in Dec or Jan then another one in February or March then 4 more in May or Jun. All 2020 models however the salesman did not know the color. I am sure the sales manager does but he was not in at the time I was there. Interestingly they still have about 10 deposits and nobody has canceled. So its obvious its a bike people are willing to wait for!

Also it looks like Honda is doing what they typically do with distribution. That is send them out slowly then eventually flood the market with them. By this time next year I doubt it will be problem getting a Super Cub and I bet you will even see some discounting by winter of 2020.
    hondacubber likes this.
  8. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Chillis likes this.
  9. cogitate

Oddometer:
    I actually like it. The red seat on the 2019 looks off to my eyes, and the difference in color between the leg shield and dark blue paint should be less. The red/white with grey seat looks more cohesive, at least to my eye.

The light blue gray version that we are not getting might be the best of all, but this one is nice too.
    Speedtrap likes this.
  10. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its hard to say from the website but the red looks more like a traditional red and not a metallic red that came on the Monkey.
  11. vintagegarage

vintagegarage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cabanza.. thanks.. I just did a "Request Quote" on the Honda web site directed at my local dealer who up until yesterday said they couldn't order them. Hope to hear back from them today.. My dealer had a huge markup over list on the 2019 I bought, so I'll wait and see what the quote says. I may have to do a "DaBinChe" and buy one out of state and drive it home..
    hondacubber likes this.
  12. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    If you look up the color codes from other countries, it shows that the Monkey and the Super Cub share the same red.
  13. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah its probably the same but on the Honda website it looks more like just red instead of the red used on the Monkey. The Monkey red looks a lot darker. We will have to see it person or hopefully Honda will tell us the name of the red on the 2020 Super Cub at some point. I doubt its actually different though!

Edit: Its the same red as used on the Monkey. Honda calls it Pearl Nebula Red further down on the webpage. Looks brighter but like I said you can't tell on a website!
    hondacubber likes this.
  14. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 5, the last day home. Woke at actual 6am today. It was cool but not cold, warm for how early it was. Had breakfast at the same place as dinner last night, John's something, low cost and decent. Had buffalo burger the previous night. Usually when I travel out of state I always look for buffalo burger and found it right here in Cali. All the other places I stopped by on this trip didn't have it. Had also spent half hour in the hot tube last night as well, next best thing to a massage. Going from Yucca Valley to Apple Valley went surprisingly fast. In the past it seemed to take forever. Got lost between Apple Valley and Lancaster. Always get lost in this section. Googlemap is not very accurate here. There are dirt roads and just deadends that google says is a road. It also seems to take forever to get between these two towns. Past Lancaster it started to get cold and windy saw a storm ahead. Was about to run out of gas too. Made it to Gorman with the empty gas bar about to blink. Got rained on for a few miles. Had to put on my insulation layer. Since I was only carrying a 1.25 gas can I had to take hwy33. Not enough gas to take the Soda Springs-Annette-Parkfield route, need to be able to go 300+miles. Made it back home just as it was getting dark.

Worst gas milage is 90mpg, WOT the whole way. Some strong headwind, between Lancaster and Gorman, slowed me down to under 40mph in 4th so had to go 3rd to stay at 45mph.
    cogitate, MYUMPH and villageidiot like this.
  15. cogitate

Oddometer:
    DBC, did you take any freeways, or all secondary roads?
  16. ducatirdr

ducatirdr Over 40 years riding on roads.

Oddometer:
    I agree with your comment. The red seat is not my cup of tea. I would like to see a gray seat on the blue bike. The red is the color the USA audience received when Honda USA released them here. I would like to trade my blue for a red once the pricing comes out. To me it's the right color.
    cogitate likes this.
  17. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    All back roads.
    cogitate and Ride2Live/Live2Ride like this.
  18. hondacubber

hondacubber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did someone one this thread mention the had done plastic injection molding?
  19. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anybody on this forum tell me the manufacturer of this windscreen?
    My google skills are bad.

70ACA721-5321-431B-AA94-05474CAE3985.jpeg
  20. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    Kong
    Might be an Asahi.
    Duckfiz likes this.