Honda Super Cub C125

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Oct 26, 2017.

1. ErikDK

ErikDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda has engineered it correctly for the rest of the world (You where we use metric units, as opposed to USA and Liberia)

Neutral is on top with 1-2-3-4 down. If we cost to stop in 4th, we can shift down to neutral at standstill and from there on to 1.st.
    We cant shift up from neutral to 4.th while on the move.

US DOT, instead of ruling out only the dangerous type of rotary shift, which could go directly from top to bottom gear, decided to rule it out entirely.
    It has also blessed you with fuggly rear lights, indicators and side reflectors.

2. ErikDK

ErikDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Then you have a non-US DOT conform C125.
    US DOT requires first at the bottom and neutral between 1st. and 2nd.

3. coolpixer

coolpixer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So... who's gonna post up a step by step trickle charge install?

[​IMG]
  4. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ours don't have the rollover.

I guess we all have non-dot bikes then.
  5. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every bike I've ever owned (around 55 by now) has been one down the rest up, with neutral between 1-2. I did have a '66 Triumph with the shifter on the right side, but the pattern was the same. I would not buy a bike with any other shift pattern. Some riders reverse the pattern to the exact opposite where pushing down shifts up. That is apparently the roadrace shift pattern, and some just want to feel like they are riding a roadracer I guess. I never use neutral once I have warmed my bike up in the morning. For the rest of the day, I hold the clutch in at stop lights and park it in first.

Those fuggly rear lights, indicators and side reflectors are safety devices, and they are safety devices I like. They make you more visible, but do not interfere with the operation of the bike like ABS. I almost always wear a bright orange or neon green shirt, vest, or jacket. I have added brake light and headlight modulators to a couple of my bikes.

Oh, and I like SAE measurements. They are American. I am American. We don't need to copy what other countries do. Most of the world rides and drives on the wrong side of the road. That will never happen here.

I once had a Chinese copy of a Super Cub, maybe 15 years ago, that had a rotary shifter, and no clutch. Very difficult to find first or neutral if you stalled it in traffic, with a lifted 4x4 truck behind you. I finally gave up on it and gave it to a friend/coworker who used to be a Mexican citizen. He took it to Mexico and gave it to relatives there. He told me several years later they were still riding it.
  6. Pilosopo

Pilosopo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm American too... and well the American standards for measurement suck in comparison, and most of the world doesn't actually ride or drive on the wrong side of the road. It's the opposite in fact, most countries are on the same side as the USA.

Absent something better, I could understand the desire to continue using inches, feet, lb, etc. But the metric system is better, the country already does business in the metric system anyway, engineering is in the metric system for nearly everything.

It's not as if the system is American by design. And if the desire is to hold on to it because of the belief it's of the USA, The US helped in defining the metric system too.

Resisting the change just means I have to train young engineers so that we can better compete in the world's marketplace. And I've yet to work with someone who doesn't prefer it after understanding it.
    CactusWren and BMWzenrider like this.
  7. JerryH

Oddometer:
    It's super easy to understand. But for me it's more of a cultural thing. I have a 2006 Sportster, and it still uses SAE fasteners. H-D could have switched to metric, and in fact measure their engines in cc instead of ci. But people would have a fit if they started putting metric nuts and bolts on them. Even my 1993 Chevy pickup is almost all metric. The beloved 350ci engine is now called a 5.7L.
  8. ErikDK

ErikDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So they're just reversed?

Soryy if I got that part wrong.

Anyway, the gearbox works best when we stomp down with our toes to go to a higher gear.

If you get a heel-toe lever that actually is comfortable to use with your heel, it'd probably work better.

And I feel sorry for your loss of 4th to neutral at standstill.

Chillis likes this.
  9. JerryH

Oddometer:
    The Kymco K-Pipe also has neutral at the bottom. I don't like that pattern because all my life I have come to a stop at a red light, or anywhere else, shifted into first gear, which you can't miss because it is at the bottom, then was ready to go. I don't like shifting into first from neutral when the bike is not moving, because the gears usually do not mesh properly, and you get a loud clunk and a jerk. Not good for the transmission.
  10. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    try to take the front brake caliper off your sportster with a SAE wrench. You can’t, it’s 10mm 12pt
    The Virginian likes this.
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The dealer said my Fat Boy was metric but it had standard fasteners so far. Or they at least fit better than metric tools have so far.
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I'll start using the heel shifter again. I did use it at first.

Wish we could get an aftermarket heel shifter that was tucked in a little more for more foot room on the pegs as well.

I rode the 50cc little Cub in Japan and they were 1-2-3 all down and then the roll around.

If the shift quality were better on it I'd have loved it. It was pretty bad though.

It did prompt me to get a Super Cub when I returned home though.
  13. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I have plenty of both SAE and metric tools, but it's a shame H-D did something like that. They seem to be becoming more Japanese all the time. Back in 1981, Yamaha was accused of copying H-D with their Virago v-twin. Soon all the Japanese companies had lots of v-twins. And for decades people called them Harley copies. But with the Twin Cam engine, H-D went with Japanese manufacturing methods. It was no longer possible to rebuild one without replacing half of it. It was Harleys first disposable engine. And now with the new M8, they have put a counterbalancer in it so it doesn't shake any more. And with the EPA pipes, you can barely hear it. I test rode a Street Glide when that engine first came out, and it felt and sounded very Japanese. Off topic a bit, but I believe H-D is in the process of destroying themselves. Smooth and quiet is not why people bought Harleys.
  14. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles never become obsolete. And eventually the price goes back up again. I sure wish I could buy a brand new "obsolete" bike. I did try, with the Royal Enfield Bullet and Genuine Stella. Both are a blast to ride. Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore. There is even a forum on this site for "obsolete" bikes.

Honda is selling the Super Cub and the Monkey as "boutique" bikes. They are priced well above what they are actually worth. You can buy a brand new Honda CB300R or Rebel 300 for less than the price of a new Monkey. Both are several times more bike. But people are not likely to be emotionally attracted to them like the Cub and Monkey.
  15. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Honda has credit cards? There is nothing about it on their website. Years ago I had a Kawasaki and Yamaha Credit card. Both had a really low interest rate for 24 months. But the big issue was insurance. By using a credit card to buy a bike, the bike itself was not collateral. It cost me 4-5 times as much to put full coverage on a bike as it does just liability, which makes a HUGE difference in what the bike eventually costs you.
  16. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Every time I hear this argument I remember that EVERY metric or SAE socket EVERYWHERE is driven either by a 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" square driver.
  17. Pilosopo

Oddometer:
    Meaning what exactly?

Square drives are old tech. Nothing has come around that is better much better, why not continue use them, and then again in sizes that allow backwards compatibility.

The metric system is more usable that the imperial system which was better than whatever came before that. That's the difference.
  18. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    ^ Metric is not "better" than SAE, it's just a different measuring system. 6-point sockets/box wrenches ARE better than 12-point as they grip more tightly on the bolt/nut head. Torx/Allen/JIS-head machine screws ARE better than Phillips-head because Phillips-heads are engineered to "cam out" at a specified torque.
  19. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    harley has been using Showa suspension since the 80’s

the brakes I believe to be nissin.

Carb is Japanese

90% of the electrical is all Japanese/Chinese.

mighty big hoax if you believe the ol bar and shield is all American until recently.
    Oilhed, Chillis and Cactus67 like this.
  20. Pilosopo

Oddometer:
    The metric system didn't become accepted internationally, or define current measurement systems because it's different.

It's a rational system of measurement that can define things without weird conversions.

That is better in the same way you described all those other things. And that's why the world, and the USA use it.
    BMWzenrider likes this.