Honda transalp master cylinder

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by CmdrPopNFresh, Jun 4, 2020.

1. CmdrPopNFresh

CmdrPopNFresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I have made a business fixing and customizing bikes and sometimes something unusual rolls in shop. Today a guy dropped off a Honda transalp. Original owner with 16000 miles....it’s a really cool bike! He wants a master cylinder rebuild.....problem is I can’t find a rebuild kit for this bike anywhere. Any ideas? If it really comes down to it I might have to get him a comparable used master from another bike and rebuild that.

also I’m wondering if anyone can tell me when these were available in the us. This ones an 89 and Wiki just says that’s a year they were available here but doesn’t say anything about any other years. Anybody know that one?
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

Dismantle, measure then buy seals by size rather than bike..

Honda dealer.

Brembo retro fit alot of bikes, parts are aplenty if you use there replacement
  3. CmdrPopNFresh

CmdrPopNFresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn’t even consider that. Thank you!
  4. Dutch idiot

Dutch idiot Crazy, not stupid

Oddometer:
    Did you try www.cmsnl.com yet? They are not cheap, though....
  5. nomiles

nomiles Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer:
    THE main TA thread here is right here on this forum and is titled.

Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Look for it then ask again there.

Ps: you can buy oem Honda master cylinder parts.
  6. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    Available in the US from 89-91, only difference was color with the white 89s being the most common. Europe got them far longer with a few significant changes over the years

link to the main thread - https://advrider.com/f/threads/show-us-your-transalp-modifications.39170/
    lots of experts there to answer questions. There's also a link somewhere in there to the downloadable maintenance manual, well worth it.
  7. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
  8. CmdrPopNFresh

CmdrPopNFresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys are awesome! Thanks so much! I’ll make a post in the transalp thread about the brake repair.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  9. SaigonS90

SaigonS90 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit from Brake Crafters and Mark just put the rebuild kit on their website (November 5, 2020). According to Mark, Honda made two different piston sizes for the '89 and '90 Transalps, an 8.6mm and a 10mm. He sent photos of how he determined which fit his bike (yes, he has an '89) and when I measured mine, it was a 10mm as well.