Honda X-ADV Texas Style

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, May 17, 2019.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Well, well, well!...

Some of you might remember that I have been wanting a Honda X-ADV. I even started a thread over a year ago called "The Plan" where I literally wracked my brain trying to figure out how to buy one and how to bring it to the US. Here's the thread:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-plan.1281104/

I remember throwing a leg over it while vacationing in France. Such a cool bike!

[​IMG]

Fast forward May 2019 and I have purchased a Honda X-ADV right here in the US. In 2 weeks' time I will be flying to Florida where I will meet Christine#25 and pick up her X-ADV. I am doing a fly and ride, of course. Who wouldn't want to have their first ride be a road trip? I can't wait to throw a leg over this beauty!

Pics to console me for the next 2 weeks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MYUMPH, CBRider, Dezzie and 9 others like this.
  2. Buster Grumpy

Buster Grumpy Sucker for "great deals"

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Redoubt and kantuckid like this.
  3. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    I hope it works out with no issues with the man so to speak . I m looking forward to ride report.
    kpinvt likes this.
  4. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    The bike currently has a Florida title and license plate. I can't wait to throw a leg over it and take it for a (long) spin!
    kantuckid and kpinvt like this.
  5. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Good for you and good luck with it. I think I've talked myself out of owning one whether or not they're for sale here. My NC700XD weighs about the same which to my mind, back, arms and legs is getting a bit too heavy for this 65 year old fart.
    cabanza likes this.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Will TX flag the VIN as foreign?
  7. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    The bike has a 17 digit VIN. It is registered and titled in Florida. As per Texas law, I will take the out of state title along with the appropriate signed form and the bike state inspection and register the bike here in Texas. That is all I can say at this point.

The bike is also registered with Honda USA and has existing warranty. A recall was performed under warranty at a Honda dealer in Florida. The bike is also currently insured through Progressive which - lucky for me - is my insurance company.
    eakins, kpinvt and kantuckid like this.
  8. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    LOL the last thing you want to an insurance company going WTH is this bike ? It's not in are system. If I ever pull the trigger on bmw evolution and spend the cash I l l be hearing that from ICBC in canada since they are the only place to get insurance. From what I can tell they can be brough into canada .
  9. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Congrats on getting your dream bike! Hope it all goes smooth and easy. I’ll be looking forward to that fly-and-ride report.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my attention, cool machine! Have a safe trip home. Given it's titled in FL and insured in USA already, no reason all isn't kosher for Texas too.
    Which engine does this have? I read of two sizes in one web discussion. The 40kw equals 54+ hp, more than twice my GTS but also weighs well over 500 lbs.. a Big machine for my short 29" legs with a 32" saddle height. Not sure I'd ever flat foot this one.:lol2
    Generally speaking, how did this ptw come into the USA? I honestly don't know what to call it-scooter or MC?:-)
    I have Progressive too and my Canadian bought scooter was a North American VIN/EPA, etc., scooter that made no wrinkles at border nor anywhere else. The KY DMV guy I spoke to was quite familiar with vehicle coming from Canada with their different paperwork then USA.
  11. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I have a scooter titled and plated in Mexico that I ride in Houston. I'll be fine.
    wmailhos likes this.
  12. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Thanks! If you read the first 35 pages of the X-ADV thread, I'm on every page. I've really been lusting after one of those.

I will try and post regular updates when I fly to Florida. Just 2 little weeks...
  13. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

It's a 750 cc. It shares some components with the NC750 like the engine and automatic transmission. It's a motorcycle that sits like a scooter. 55 HP and 524 pounds. It's no light weight but it's lighter than a Burgman 650 or a BMW C650GT by a bunch (82 pounds more for the Suzuki and 51 pounds for the BMW). A 2015 Yamaha Tmax has 46 HP and weighs 485 pounds.

The bike was brought over from France.
    kpinvt and CaptnJim like this.
  14. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was probably brought in by someone in the military stationed over in Europe. A few years ago I ran into a guy who had a Peugeot scooter and he bought it while in the military in Germany. Apparently they can bypass a lot of the BS when its time to come back to the states. Some manufactures even build to US specs even if that model is not actually imported. Because of this its likely somewhere in the US is some forbidden fruit running around out there but its few and far between!
    Motogasoline likes this.
  15. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want one. Hope it's as enjoyable as you thought it would be.
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    My frame of reference for Europe to USA imports is dated by many years but I grew up in an AF town that filled our town with many vehicles of all types. I owned a few of those cars, mostly British as that was my fascination back then for sports cars. A man I worked with his FIL was a retired AF officer and had a Ferrari 250 GT for sale that I considered but passed on as too exotic for me.
  17. GerrNP

GerrNP Mr. President we must not allow a mine shaft gap

Oddometer:
    Got my attention when these bikes came into production, but soon looked like not gonna be made available in the USA, dang it anyhow. So i settled on a Burg 650, would have been nice if one of these could have been an option. Maybe could have done a bit of back road/trail riding with it, unlike the Burg where i wouldn't want to leave the asphalt of concrete. Nice to know there is at least one of these in the US, looking forward to your impressions of it.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sweet. Get some fairing crash bars on it asap since replacement parts need to come across the pond.

Interesting that is registered and warrantied. Nice thing is maintenance parts are available from existing US machines.

Does anyone from Honda NA want a better look at? Find a vendor at AimExpo who is next to Honda and put it in front of their nose.
    https://aimexpousa.com/
  19. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the legalities of it. It is common practice to title and register dirt bikes and ATVs here in AZ, since every single trail that is not on private property or and "OHV park" where you have to pay to ride, is considered a legal road, and you have to have a street legal vehicle to ride on them. You have to add a few things to it, but it's not that difficult. The big issue is getting it insured. Such vehicles are NOT on their list, And a quad I converted to street legal had a metal plate riveted to the fender that said "for off road use only" I had to get a letter from motor vehicles explaining the situation, and agree not to ride it on paved roads or streets before they would insure it.
  20. Redoubt

Redoubt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to laugh when all the naysayers are proved wrong about this particular X-adv. Congratulations on picking it up, I am totally jealous.
    cabanza likes this.