Honda X-ADV Texas Style

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, May 17, 2019.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Impressive! And a lot more skills than I have.
    joker-b likes this.
  2. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Truly impressive indeed. Find some hilly area near you and use it as it should :)
  3. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    I always have to remind myself that the rider in videos like this is a professional riding Not-Their-Bike.
  4. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
  5. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    I just noticed that the pic I posted shows the pegs like yours. Cabanza. Hard to see, they are folded and blend in with the body work.

6. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I use the pegs all the time now. I can hug the bike with my legs and given my riding style, it’s easier in traffic. I use the feet forward position for touring.
    kpinvt and cogitate like this.
  7. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    So this was my mileage as I pulled in the garage :lol3

[​IMG]
    wanna bECO and jmq3rd like this.
  8. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    The mark of the beast!
    cabanza likes this.
  9. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like that Dash... Could you do a walkaround and post a you tube vid?
  10. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Of the bike? I don’t know... May be... I’d have to find time for that. There’s got to be some on YouTube already?
  11. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man! I could have used that thing this week. I bet I shifted ten thousand times on a dual sport ride this week. My shin muscles and left wrist were tired after all that.
    DandM, kpinvt and CaptnJim like this.
  12. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    You know it's funny you made that comment. I have been commuting on my X ADV every day for the past few weeks. I had been using the manual gearbox for some time and even then, I find it easier to put it in automatic. The bike automatically downshift for you and delivers engine braking. The harder you brake and the faster the bike downshifts. It's so cool! The pegs I added have also helped change the way bike handles. You literally go from riding a scooter to riding a motorcycle.

I thought about shaving the seat but I decided to buy an Airhawk instead. While it adds some height to the seat, it's made the ride a lot softer. I don't slide forward under hard braking anymore either when I have my feet on the pegs. There are no issues with the seat when I have my feet forward other than the fact that it is hard (but tolerable).

I will get the tires changed tomorrow. I am putting a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4. I can't wait to try them out.
  13. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    That picture of you on the bike in post #171 totally sold me on the idea of owning one of these. Being able to hug the seat like that with your knees is da bomb.
    cabanza likes this.
  14. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    So I went and got the tires changed. The dealership I went to already had a 2020 Monkey in blue. It's nice!

[​IMG]

I put on Michelin Pilot Road 4. What a difference! They make the OEM tires pretty mediocre in comparison. Really. The X ADV turns better, grips the road better... I put about 60 miles on the new tires. I came out impressed. I am curious to see how long they will last. Tires plus mount were about $450. Not cheap but definitely worth it. Nothing like French rubber! :lol3

[​IMG]
    kpinvt likes this.
  15. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    My bike now has 6,800 miles. I am 1,200 miles away from the next service. I think it will probably be after Thanksgiving. Unless the weather does not cooperate, I am planning on going to San Antonio the week of Thanksgiving. That should be a good 5-600 miles plus my current commute should make it close enough to 8,000 mile service. That's about 4,000 miles in 5 months. That is the most miles I have ridden in quite some time. And it's been a lot of fun!

[​IMG]
    The Virginian and kpinvt like this.
  16. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Ok, one last thing: a sales guy told me he just had a call last week and someone was asking him if they were selling the X ADV. He answered no (of course). I wonder if a couple of people have seen me riding and have recognized the bike.
  17. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    The Pilot Road's I put on my NCXD were the best tires I've ever had on a bike. It was wild how with the bike leaned over in the middle of a turn I could change directions. I don't run them any more because I had a couple of flats on two rear tires because of the crushed slate razor blades some of the towns near me spread on their roads instead of gravel.
  18. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I have been commuting all week. I just wanted to confirm that the Michelin tires are entirely superior to the OEM tires (I think they were 50/50 Bridgestone tires). Of course, the street biased Michelin would out perform 50/50 tires but I am really impressed with them. The X ADV handles much better and the Michelin inspire confidence.
  19. vainamoinen

vainamoinen Bumblebee master

Oddometer:
    Really nice tires! I am thinking to do the swap also when time comes for me. My scoot will never see any off tarmac adventures anyway.
  20. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I got caught in some really heavy rain this morning on my way to work.

We had a cold front that pushed through this morning (there was a tornado in Dallas!). After checking the local radar and against my better judgement, I thought I could head out on the X ADV and beat the rain. Well, I didn't.

It's been a really long time since I rode in such challenging weather. The X ADV really showed me what it can do and I am glad I had those Michelin tires as well. I have kept a top 5 list of the hardest rides I have done. I have to put this morning's ride as number 2. The only other ride that was more challenging was about 18 years ago. I was coming back from work late at night. The rain was falling so hard it stung me through my rain gear and clothes. I was riding an R1150GS at the time. I had similar riding conditions this morning. The wind blew hard too. The only differences were that the rain had not accumulated as much - though there was a lot on the road and that the rain drops didn't hurt. Never thought I'd be so happy getting to work!
    tart likes this.