Honda X-ADV Texas Style

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, May 17, 2019.

1. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had exactly that happen when I was trying to buy an RD500. Only it was the DMV that couldn't find it in the system. I backed out. In CA, if it's not smoggable,they send it to the crusher. Bought my first Ducati instead........
  2. Ocean993

Ocean993 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I hope it doesn't cause too many problems for you..... I've had mine for 6 weeks and I love it! Such a great bike, and brilliant to ride.... surely Honda will make it available in the US for you soon!
  3. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet ride, you gotta get the stand up pegs! Congrats
  4. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If Texas gives you any problems, just re-register it in Florida. They will send the tag and everything to your house in Texas if you do it right.
    Rapturee2 and cabanza like this.
  5. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Flying out next Tuesday. Just one more week to go...

I got myself a new helmet, just for the trip :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ride4321, larryboy, Rapturee2 and 4 others like this.
  6. shrini23

shrini23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @cabanza I'm from Houston (Cypress)
    Would love to see this ADV/Scoot in person.
    Pls lemme know or PM me.
    I was thinking of picking up a scoot for my wife. This looks damn interesting and how did you manage to get one stateside?
    The Virginian likes this.
  7. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I wasn't the one who brought it over. When/ if I make it back, I'll give you a holler.
    shrini23 likes this.
  8. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Best of luck with it. I have almost 26,000kms on mine now and still enjoy it as much as ever. I was away in Wales in the UK on it earlier this week and as usual it was a focus of attention here and there. They have not sold well in the UK or Ireland and so are still quite rare to see.
    shrini23 likes this.
  9. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Just checking in...

I am flying to Fort Myers Tuesday later morning. Everything should be pretty straight forward and I should be able to get on the road in late afternoon/ early evening. If everything works out okay, I plan to spend the night in the Tampa Bay area. After that, well, things just got more interesting. If you follow weather events then you've probably heard that there's a tropical storm brewing in the Gulf of Mexico. What it means for me is some potential downpours on my way back. Forecast in Houston calls for rain on Wednesday and Thursday. I bought a BMW R NineT Racer last October and rode it back from Nashville to Houston. I rode the first 200+ miles in the rain. That was not fun.

Anyway, it still is a little early to predict the weather accurately but so far, it's looking cloudy with a chance of meatballs.
  10. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Last minute change of plan: my wife told me this morning she wants to go! Woo-hoo! Looks like we are now making a trip out of it. Awesome! I am even more excited now! I am changing the route quite a bit as well as a result. We will be taking the scenic Hwy 98 all the way to Pensacola. We will go through coastal Florida. We will probably wait out the tropical storm in Mobile on Thursday and then finish on Friday and Saturday. I will report in between. Pics may have to wait until we are back in Houston.
    The Virginian, Oldie and TimCC like this.
  11. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    One last pic until I get to see it in the flesh

[​IMG]
  12. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Hope Mother Nature cuts you some slack. Travel safe, have fun! Looking forward to your impressions of this rare (in the US) bike.
  13. Dezzie

Dezzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My mate just bought one and loves his, taking it to the Swiss alps in a few month, i tried a demo last year and also had a go on his newer model a few weeks ago, you will love it, i think the biggest problem we have in the UK is still the crappy attitudes towards scooters and auto's, i laugh when folk say its not powerful enough for big distances which is bollox, UK speed limit is 70mph so its more than capable to go anywhere upto 115/120 mph even my 300 forza does 85 and all but the longest straights and from the lights i can keep up.

P.s buy an exhaust, remove the baffles, it sounds fantastic.
  14. Dezzie

Dezzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Us 2 playing out in the North of England. 1557679178674.jpg
  15. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    The deal is done! I am now the owner of a 2017 Honda X-ADV. No issues whatsoever with the deal. The bike is impeccable.

We hit the road around 4:15 pm local time. Everything was going really well until the last 30 miles. We got caught in a heavy shower. We rode a few miles in it until it just became too much. I stopped at the first gas station I could find. I have to say that the bike handled superbly in the rain. I was in D mode and it made the riding really smooth. Only thing is my bike is already dirty. Oh well.

We’ve clocked about 200 miles. If I learned anything about Florida is that people drive fast! We were cruising at 80-85 and we were the slow ones.

I played with the auto gearbox and found that the D mode is best for highway cruising and heavy traffic while S2 (the fastest of the sport modes) is when you wanna have fun and smoke people at the red lights. Seriously, S2 packs some serious acceleration.

My favorite 3 things so far:

1. The suspension. OMG. Is that thing really a scooter?

2. The riding position. It’s like they took my measurements and then built the bike. Fits me like a glove.

3. The wind protection. While this might change when the wind gets stronger or comes from a particular direction, I am very impressed with the windshield. We’ll see if it stays that way.

I think I’m off to a really good start. I’ve wanted this bike since the first day it was announced. It’s meeting my expectations for sure.

I have pics but it’ll have to wait for me to link them.
    larryboy, CaptnJim, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  16. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your new ride. I think Honda's DCT is a hoot to ride, 1/10th of a second to change gears. Downshift for engine braking? Just tap the AT/MT trigger on the right side of the handlebars to lock the gear to keep the bike from upshifting. In MT mode the bike won't upshift but it will downshift so the bike will not stall.
  17. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a giant underbone scooter. Good luck.
  18. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    LONG day today: we covered 500 miles. We are staying in Mobile, AL for the next 2 nights. We will be getting some severe weather for the next 24-36 hours.

The bike performed flawlessly. What a hoot it is to ride! We once again rode in the rain, this time from Pensacola to Mobile. No issues, no worries.

80-85 mph all day. MPG came out to 51-52 but that’s 2 up with about 50 pounds of luggage.
    johnwesley, larryboy, kpinvt and 3 others like this.
  19. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally Awesome! How much water comes up from the front fork area? Or is it completely sealed off like my vespa and yamaha?
    Thanks
  20. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I know it’s not 100% sealed off but I haven’t noticed water coming off that area. Given all the lower fairing protection, you might have to cross a low level water crossing to get splashed.