Honda X-ADV Texas Style

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, May 17, 2019.

1. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Woohoo! :clap Glad it all went smooth and easy. I’m excited for you, and hope you will join me in thumbing my nose at the nay-sayers! :-)
  2. shrini23

shrini23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to know that Honda does the warranty, Great
  3. DSTEVENS

DSTEVENS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations Cabanza, that looks like an awesome scooter/bike!
    I recently rode a Majesty 400 that my wife bought and found the simplicity of no clutch and gears very appealing.
    I am very impressed with the power and handling of the Majesty. I can imagine how awesome your Honda is.
    Best wishes to you from a fellow Texan. D.
    cabanza likes this.
  4. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This has me wanting the NC750. Been mulling it over.

Nice job on the score.
  5. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I had a 2016 manual NC700X. The X-ADV is quite different from the NC. If you get an NC750X, do get the DCT one though. It will change your life.
    neanderthal, kpinvt and Chillis like this.
  6. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't mind not shifting!
  7. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even with the DCT you can still shift if and when you choose. I'd shift with my CTX riding the mountain though Sports Mode did a pretty good job.
    neanderthal and CaptnJim like this.
  8. Ocean993

Ocean993 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd regularly use the manual option on my x-adv.... but find that just using it in D is so brilliant that I never really use it. The dct is just amazing... and very quick if you're into drag starts from the traffic lights!
  9. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Is the rev limiter 6,600 or 7,500 rpm?
  10. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    It's a 2017 so it's 6,600 rpm. I wonder if the dealership would be able to change that...
    sro99 likes this.
  11. Scooter Addict

Scooter Addict Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What kind of gas mileage did you get riding it home? What is the range or fuel capacity? I would sell all 4 of my motorcycles to have one of these. If the Burgman 650 had a DCT, I would own one again! Happy Adventuring!!
  12. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I got 51-52 mpg for the trip. Keep in mind I rode 80-85 mph all the time (really closer to 85!) and my wife was riding on the back. The gas tank is 3.46 gallons.
    Scooter Addict, kpinvt and Chillis like this.
  13. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike. Now I wish Honda would make a 300cc version and bring it here.

I'm sure that will happen soon:dirtdog
    Chillis, tonymarchman, kpinvt and 2 others like this.
  14. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations Cabanza! Now that's the way to purchase a new bike! :drink

Eric
    kpinvt, Chillis and cabanza like this.
  15. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a wonderful machine. I still wonder how someone managed to get it titled in the U.S., where it is technically illegal. I never understood the power thing where bikes are concerned. 55 hp seems like plenty. Having 150 hp seems pointless. There is nowhere but a racetrack that you can use it. I had a blast on an '07 Ninja 250. I had no idea why anybody would even want a liter bike. Unless it was a giant heavy touring bike. I already have one Royal Enfield. I might consider one of the new 650s if they had tubeless tires.
  16. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    The previous owner was able to title the vehicle because:

1. It was used. It is not possible to import a brand new vehicle with zero miles. The previous owner bought it new in France but when she brought it over, the bike was 1 year old with 1,800 miles on it.
    2. The previous owner is not a US citizen. There are exceptions, of course, but that's the overall rule. That's how the bike cleared Customs and was imported.
    3. The bike was run through homologation. Homologation isn't cheap.

I talked about importation and homologation. None of the things I have done or tried to do when my wife and I purchased our Super Cubs in Mexico. We just crossed the border with a plated vehicle that was insured (insurance is mandatory in Texas). I rode my Super Cubs for a couple of years in Texas but they were never imported. It is perfectly legal to ride/ drive a foreign vehicle that is titled and plated in another country. For a while anyway.
    klaviator and Chillis like this.
  17. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I did a solid 50 miles this morning. I went to 2 different Honda dealers. I asked if the rev limiter could be changed and I was given 2 completely different answers. The first dealer said no and the second one said it could be done. The ECU could be reflashed is one solution. They send the ECU to some company in California who makes the changes. Hmmm. The other solution would be to replace the ECU. According to Honda the ECU is not interchangeable though. The tech guy was saying that one or several prongs might be different. Changing the ECU is also quite expensive. An ECU cost a little over $700. I am going to mull it over a little bit but I think I am going to leave the bike "as is." I think part of the reason why I am looking into this is because my NC700X just needed a bit more go. It would run out of steam too fast. This of course is not the 700 but the 750. The 750 has a few more ponies and you can tell the difference.

I have been playing with the DCT quite a bit. While S2 (the fastest sport mode) is fun at the lights, it isn't always smooth when it changes gears. D is just too slow unless you are touring or riding in the rain. S1 is my favorite so far. It gives you enough oomph while staying smooth when changing gears. It's also a good compromise when passing someone.

My bike was quite popular at both dealerships. It's fun to explain how I was able to get it.
    klaviator and kpinvt like this.
  18. vainamoinen

vainamoinen Bumblebee master

Oddometer:
    You do not need those extra revs. The bike makes its power peak long before 5000 rev/minute. Enjoy the bike as it is, it is nothing wrong with it even if it is not the latest iteration. I have the same model as you do and I drove the last one with extra revs and I see no difference.
    Benis, cabanza and kpinvt like this.
  19. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. That rev limiter is there for a reason.
    kpinvt likes this.
  20. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer: