Honda X-ADV Texas Style

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, May 17, 2019.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I went for a ride this morning. My destination was a Honda dealership in the area. I was hoping to take a look at a Super Cub (just for fun) but they didn't have any. There was a young tech who saw my bike and really liked it. He asked a bunch of questions. He said he had to do a double take because he first thought it was an Africa Twin. I saw a Honda NM4 Vultus. You don't see one of those very often. You can still buy a brand new 2018 Honda NM4. It retails at $11,299 (+ $380 for destination charge). The NM4 has the old(er) 700cc engine from the NC700X. Honda says "Looking to stand out? Then look no further than the Honda NM4." I don't know. I think I stand out plenty. :ricky

Anyway, pic or never happened

[​IMG]
  2. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I am commuting to work on the X ADV this week. Traffic? What traffic?

[​IMG]
    DandyDoug, kpinvt, Chillis and 3 others like this.
  3. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't mind a vultus in the future if I can find a cheap used one. What mpg does your xadv get doing 70mph on flat highway? Can you use regular 87?
    theloop likes this.
  4. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Yes the X ADV takes regular gas. I never do 70 mph but I would assume that you can probably get about 65 mpg at that speed.
    Redoubt likes this.
  5. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been leaning that way also. I like the low 25.5 seat height and the automatic transmission, I never warmed up to the cvt, but I could wind up with one if I find a 150cc or so scooter with plenty of leg room
  6. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I gassed up today and my mpg came out to an even 60. It is consistent with my previous gas mileage. I have been riding in manual (so my rpm is usually higher since I shift later) but it doesn't seem to change the mpg.

The X ADV feels like a little dragster off the lights. I smoked a guy riding an MT-10. He pulled up next to me trying to figure out what the hell I was riding. He was twisting his throttle a bit (may be he was trying to establish dominance?). When the light turned green, he was left behind. He tried again at the next light but it ended with the same result. He will tell tales about his encounter with the third kind. :lol3
    danimdw, klaviator and kpinvt like this.
  7. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the long travel and tubeless. Wire spoke wheels done right.
  8. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Faster than the rain? I think so! I made it back home in the nick of time. Ain't no rain touching my X ADV! :lol3

[​IMG]
    Jimo368, danimdw, Redoubt and 3 others like this.
  9. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I had the money I would buy it. I found a CTX700 DCT on Craigslist for less than half that. I didn't even go check it out. Even if I could manage to get on it now, I might not be able to next year. That thing shows just how easy it is to make wire spoke wheels for tubeless tires, and proof that you no longer need tubes because you want wire spoke wheels. I wish somebody would build a 300cc DCT scooter. Just big enough for the freeway, but no more. What a ride that would be. And you could downshift it so it would climb anything. I wish I could get one of those chain drive underbone bikes they sell in Mexico. It would make a great trail bike, with a seat I could slide back on. How do you title and plate a vehicle in Mexico if you are not a Mexican citizen, and how do you insure it in the U.S.?
    kpinvt likes this.
  10. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    1. You own land in Mexico or
    2. You are a resident of Mexico or
    3. You are a Mexican citizen.

Insurance is easy. One place to buy it is at the border. There are insurance companies online that will also provide coverage. Same as you buying insurance for your vehicle when you go to Mexico.
  11. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I have been riding my X ADV to work pretty much every day. I mostly ride manual now (what can I say? I'm a control freak :lol3) until I get into heavy traffic and then I switch to auto. I say it every time but that DCT is amazing!

So I have ordered the Rizoma foot pegs in red for my X ADV. I ordered them out of Europe. They should ship on September 6. Not sure how long it will take until they get here but hopefully somewhere around mid-September. It will give me another riding position - closer to the riding position of the NC750X. Can't wait to put them on!

[​IMG]
    MYUMPH, The Virginian and kpinvt like this.
  12. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Another week, another fill up. Still getting 60 mpg. No matter how I ride. Good enough for me.

[​IMG]
    The Virginian and kpinvt like this.
  13. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    So I'm still waiting on mÿ Rizoma foot pegs. They cleared Customs in New York on September 13 and left USPS facilities on September 15. Today is September 20 and the tracking simple shows it's on its way to the next facility. I was hoping to install them bÿ the weekend so I could go for a ride and try them out... :becca
  14. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    So... I got rained on! I thought I was going to be able to skip the rain but no such luck. The sun was out for a bit and I made the most of it but we aren't done with the rain yet here in Houston.

I went and priced parts and service at mÿ local Honda dealer. It won't be a problem for me to get tires. Awesome! There are a few choices between road and dirt oriented tires. I also got a quote for what the next service will be (I still got time though) and it's pretty cheap. So, all in all, not a bad morning and I got to ride too.

Obligatory pic:

[​IMG]
  15. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I was on the mainland I'd buy that off you right now.
  16. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Thanks but it's not for sale anymore. I would have made a huge mistake selling it.
    MiniBike, kpinvt and Redoubt like this.
  17. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree it would be a mistake.
  18. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is a beautiful bike. I'm sure you made the right choice!
  19. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Sun's out this morning so I coerced the wife into going for a short ride around town.

[​IMG]
  20. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Ok, well, it was just coffee. :lol3

[​IMG]