Honda xadv gearbox problems..

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by Ianmclean26965@gmail, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Ianmclean26965@gmail

Ianmclean26965@gmail n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know about any gearbox problems with the Honda xadv.
  2. Ianmclean26965@gmail

Ianmclean26965@gmail n00b

Oddometer:
    I hired a Honda x adv and was happy with the bike ,untill I had ridden up a tarmak mountain road for about 25 k. When at the top I noticed and engine warning light was on and it was stuck in 2nd gear. I got off let it cool. On the ride back the light was still on and in traffic it would shift into neutral at lights and would not select gears. After a 5 min cool down it would select 1st gear and stay in first untill the next set of lights where is wouldn't select a gear again. 5 .min cool down and I could select first again and limp back to my hotel..I phoned the rental company up and told them of the problem . They took it for a ride and said nothing was wrong with the heat box. I did point out the light to them and it only seemed to have a problem when it was hot. Can anyone advise on this issue. Regards Ian .
  3. Strayarider

Strayarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The tumbleweed is strong with this thread...

... soooooo, is this an isolated issue?
    Chillis likes this.
  4. NikkoG

NikkoG n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm having this problem. I've seen in some groups/fora that the same is the case in some units in Thailand, Taiwan, Spain, France and Italy. Have you guys heard anything from Honda about this?
  5. 007scot

007scot n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have had this problem several times over the past three months. I believe that the issue is when the bike gets very hot ... but not necessarily that the water or oil temp is on high as those warning lights do not come on!

I believe it is all about the ECU ... the electronic control box that not only controls fuel/air mix but also the DCT gearbox. I think that when the ECU [switch] itself gets hot it starts to malfunction and hence the yellow engine warning light coming on and the gearbox problem.

The same solution here (and I am in Islamabad with no Honda dealer or warranty cover) ... I.e. need to stop and let the bike cool down. The problem has occurred when I am in serious slow moving traffic for a long period of time and/or when I ride up mountains on a very hot day. Both situations quite common here in Islamabad.

I am examining ways of providing better air ventilation to / around the ECU.

I hope this helps ... I may be wrong!
  6. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    I think you may find it is oilnheat sensors in the auto box that makes the bike go into limp mode or shut down at high temperatures. New Hyundai all wheel drives with auto boxes does exactly the same thing. The new cars have warning stickers and small warning cards attached to the gear shifter and in that general area about the conditions that cause it and how the car will respond and what you have to do afterwards. Conditions sound near identical.
  7. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    My Africa Twin started doing the same thing. After riding about a half hour through the city, the downshifting would get increasingly sluggish till it finally got stuck in gear. After waiting for the bike to cool down for a couple hours I could rock the bike back and forth and get it to shift into neutral so I could start it. Then it would work normally till it got hot again.

Honda put a new shift motor in it, but it still was acting a bit funky after that. Several times in a couple weeks it refused to shift from 1st to 2nd and the 1 on the gear indicator would turn to a flashing bar. Restarting the bike made it run normally again.

Some other AT owners in Japan were also complaining about the heat related DCT problems.
  8. Le Du

Le Du Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the same issue
  9. Le Du

Le Du Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is the update: got stuck in the traffic yesterday. The bike had difficulties with gear changing then stuck. The CEL light was on. I managed to get home and left the engine cool down through the night. Today, engine can start, bike changes the gears normally but the CEL is still on.
    I dont know how to reset it. Same as 007scot, Vietnam does not have the Honda dealer (selling X-ADV).
  10. twinrider

Oddometer:
    You should make sure the problem isn't still there. Mine would only show up once the engine got hot, about a half hour into the ride.
  11. Daviddgz

Daviddgz Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. AJTAURUS

AJTAURUS n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there, I am currently experiencing the same problem with my 2016 AT DCT. What is the situation with your bike now? Appreciate your feedback, thanks!
  13. twinrider

Oddometer:

I don't think they ever figured out the specific cause of the problem because it'd stop working during a ride, then start working again when the bike cooled down. In any case, the dealer replaced the gearshift motor and shift linkage and that seemed to take care of the issue. However, in the 3 weeks I had the bike after the repair, several times the bike wouldn't shift from first to second and I had to restart it, then it'd work properly.

I ended up selling it back to the dealer soon after because of a separate intermittent stalling issue that they were also unable to fix despite replacing a bunch of parts, so I don't know if the DCT had any further issues.
  14. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    A recall was issued for the X ADV. I own an X ADV and live in Texas. The recall was performed at a dealership in Florida before I bought mine (which originally came from France). Perhaps some Africa Twin bikes are experiencing a similar problem?
    https://www.visordown.com/news/general/honda-x-adv-recalled-over-power-loss-issue
  15. Smirk

Smirk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Although I haven’t experienced the issue - mine is in at the dealers last 2 days for the recall as I received a letter stating mine ma be affected. Hopefully picking it up today and hope that I don’t have any issues after they have worked on it. Honda factory send the parts and give them 3 hours paid work, mine has been there 2 days already and they said they are struggling to do the work