Honda XL250s 1980

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Dutch_, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He guys,

Thought I'd post about the bike I'm currently working on. It's a XL250 I got for free about 2 years ago I guess. The bike did run, but that's about it.

A little background on the bike:
    The previous owner parked it at the train station and when he came back the bike was gone.
    Three months later the police show up with his bike. Well, we all know how a XL250 should look like.
    This is what it looked like when I got the bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The thieves used an angle grinder to get rid of the frame nr. Put in a dominator 250 fork, tank, seat and rear fender. From a distance the bike looks still in decent shape.

This is not the first XL I'm restoring, so luckily I have a big parts bin with XL parts. Mostly XL500 and XR500 but I'm sure a lot will fit. I won't be restoring this bike to it's original state, but more of a mix up of parts I still have laying around.

Some close ups:

[​IMG]

Wrong bolts on the disc brake:
    [​IMG]
    "Some" rust:
    [​IMG]
    Wrong carb:
    [​IMG]
    Time bomb ignition:
    Can you spot the lightswitch on the blac/white killswitch wire, used as Hillbilly ignition switch.
    [​IMG]
    Bike in pieces, engine out:
    [​IMG]
    Time bomb dismantled:
    [​IMG]
    Then I found this:
    [​IMG]
    First I thought more ductape? On closer inspection I saw it was part of an old can. Which made me think and check the steering headbearings. And What did I find there?
    [​IMG]
    More tin can between the bearings and the frame. I was already surprised when I picked up the bike that the thieves put in a NX250 fork. This because the Honda XL 250s and 500s have strange bearing sizes. There is no way to just swap the forks without conversion bearings from ie Allballs.
    Well this is how they took care of that without the special bearings...

Engine:
    [​IMG]
    Rear frame cut up:
    [​IMG]
    I wonder why they did this. Maybe so they could fit the NX rearfender?

Exhaust and eh...plastic?
    [​IMG]

Walboro Carbureturbo!
    [​IMG]
    Yes that's a piece of old car exhaust pipe or similar. The bike did run, like shit, on this carb. I will replace it for an original 250S or 250R carb.

Back to a rolling frame:
    A friend of mine had a frame, swingarm, tripple tree and title laying around. Picked it up to rebuilt the bike.
    I cleaned the frame and swingarm a bit. Gave the swingarm some new grease. Cleaned the bolts and put it back in the frame.

Another friend gave me a MTX125 front fork, with wheel and drum brake in the past.
    I cleaned the front wheel, replaced the wheel bearings and put new grease everywhere. The brake shoes were in very good condition, like new, so I didn't change those.

The rear wheel from the stolen 250 did fit. But the swingarm was slightly different so I had to use a XR500R brake which I had in the parts bin. Now I have a rolling frame!The fork is a direct bolt on in the triple tree. I used to original rear wheel from the stolen bike.

As shown on the other pics, there was spray paint everywhere:
    [​IMG]
    Scrubbed the paint off, cleaned the rear sprocket, changed the wheel bearings.
    After cleaning the XR500R brake the rear wheel could be mounted.

This is the bike today after a week of work:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tank is from a XR500s.

Foot peg, cleaned, still need paint:
    [​IMG]

On to the engine:
    Painted black....
    [​IMG]
    After cleaning:
    [​IMG]

I know it's important to check the filter on these engines. As well as the camchain. The chain needs to be replaced:
    [​IMG]

For now that's about it. I ordered some new parts like camchain, forkseals, grips, etc.
    Other than that I need to check if I got a seat that fits, front fender and some other small parts. But all in all I am pretty complete. Restoring the exhaust might involve some welding and good paint.

Grtz Dutch
  2. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday went thru the parts bin and I found a good kill switch. Cleaned it a bit and mounted it.
    Also found a brake lever assembly with a brake light switch.
    Mounted a skidplate from a xl500R. This one is slightly wider to protect the engine.
    Also found a rear brake lever/pedal spring.

And, I found in my new parts drawer a set of genuine Honda fork seals. So today I took the front fork out and drained the old oil:
    [​IMG]

And before you know it, all the parts are on the ground. The workbench was full of I carefully placed them on the ground:
    [​IMG]

Looks like the fork was in much need of new seals:
    [​IMG]

The forks are reassembled with new oil. I picked 15W because I had still 1,5 liter of that on the shelf.
    I thought I was finished with the complete front. Last week when I assembled the head bearings with new grease it felt good. When torqued up to spec not so much anymore. Those will be replaced as well.
    I hope Santa will arrive soon with my new parts.

Grt
    Ginger Beard and sparkingdogg like this.
  3. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. Dread_lion

Dread_lion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    as the guy who donated the mtx125 forks, in ;).
  5. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He guys,

Mail man brought the first package today:
    [​IMG]

So it was time to continue with the engine. Replacing the cam chain was pretty straight forward. While having the right side case open I also adjusted the balancer chain.

New chain in, nice and tight:
    [​IMG]

When putting back the bolts of the rocker cover, one bolt snapped. Lucking it was just a matter of taking the other bolts out, remove the cover and remove the rest of the bolt. Found another bolt in my little supply and I could torque all the bolts to spec.
    [​IMG]

Then it was time to adjust the valves. Strange little tappet screws. Carefully used needle nose pliers to adjust them.
    [​IMG]

Right side cover was bolted on in no time. On the left side cover there was a old and leaking seal. The seal was dry and hard. Someone in the past tried to fix it I guess.
    [​IMG]

Old seal out:
    [​IMG]

The new seal along with some other parts are on their way. With the new seal the engine is ready for a test run! It will be shelved until I have the time to pick up a XL250R carb from another friend. One might start to think all of my friends ride old Honda XL's ;) .

I discussed on the phone with my mechanic if I should replace the valve seals as well and lap and grind the valves. He recommended to wait and take the bike for a spin when the rest of the bike is ready. If something is wrong with the engine, it'll be on the workbench again in an hour or so.

Next step will be building the wiring loom. I will use my XL500S wiring loom as an example and copy that.
    I need to fix a license plate. My friend who gave me the frame didn't have one when I picked it up. I do have the papers though. So I'll be calling around and ask about the procedure to get a plate tomorrow.
    snake-eyes likes this.
  6. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude, why did you go and cut up that perfect Craigslist hacksaw custom. It was worth 3 grand until you started molesting it with new parts and attention. Geeze!!!!
    XR4EVER and Dutch_ like this.
  7. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please tell me you rounded up a posse and hanged the thieves.
    Dutch_ likes this.
  8. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    this is amazing, I woulda considered it a goner for sure.
    Dutch_ likes this.
  9. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    An XL in our hands? Never!

Wiring loom is set too. Next update will be Thursday evening I think. She might run by then!
  10. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Time for a little update!

Around Christmas I picked up a XL250R carb and the the wiring loom. The carb has been completely cleaned and put together again. After that the timebomb coil was placed back, oil in the engine and tried to start the bike. Well, it did. 4 or 5 kicks and the engine was running pretty good! But the engine was still pissing oil, which was because there was no gasket on the stator side......Putting a new one in fixed that problem.

I had to park the bike outside for one night because of other things happening in the garage. Next morning all the bolts were rusty....So the next step was to zinc electroplate almost every bolt. I must say I am very pleased with the result.
    Also I sanded the frame and swingarm and painted them.

The rear shocks on the frame I picked up were shot. On the stolen frame, luckily there was a nice set of Koni's. In good condition. A little bit dirty and rusty so I took them apart and a little bit of paint and they look like new. New head bearings are to be installed this week. I hope by the end of the week to have a rolling frame again with the engine installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    JagLite likes this.
  11. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you ever need parts for that carb you can get complete chinese knockoffs on ebay or amazon for about $40.
    Dutch_ likes this.
  12. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He Mike, wish I knew that earlier, it was time consuming to clean and electroplate it haha. Thanks for the heads up!
  13. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He Mike,

Do you maybe have a link? I tried to find them on Ebay but no luck?

This week I did the stereo shocks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I am waiting for the dustseal which goes under the lower steeringheadbearing. Also, there was a ring supplied with the bearings. It has an inner diameter of 27mm and its about 3.5mm high. So guessing it should be placed under the lower bearing. I think if its placed under the bearing the stem is not long enough. Anyone else had these problems? If so, how did you manage it to fit?

Grt Dutch
    JagLite likes this.
  14. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dutch_ likes this.
  15. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So a little update.

Bike is starting to look like a bike again:
    [​IMG]

Fresh rear tire, tapered bearings, brake cables, throttle cables and a lot of home galvanized bolts and nuts. Frame is black as well. The other shocks can be fitted as well on of these days.
    I testfitted the exhaust, which has some holes in it because of rust, on the bike for a test run so I could listen to the engine. The engine runs really good. No ticks or weird sounds, and leak free!
    For the exhaust I need to come up with a solution still. Maybe the holes are to be welded, maybe Ill go with a China muffler. I hate the look of those but it might be the easiest option for now.

Other than that I changed the electrical system a bit. I connected a XR600 regulator rectifier to the yellow and pink wire coming from the charging coil. And guess what, at idle there is almost 14 volts DC. Besides that I tested the system with a LED spotlight and tested the 12v horn. Both are working. Maybe Ill change the wiring of the regulator to the headlight coil which has a bit more power. But then Ill need to make another wire from the ground of the coil. For now this is good enough for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does any of you have experience with changing the regulator rectifier of a 6v to with one from a 12v bike like I did? Any thing I should know of?
  16. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nobody who ever tried this? Changing the 6v regulator with a 12v one?
  17. DRconvertible

DRconvertible Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer:
    It works. Did it with a XT500. The electrical system is still weak at idle but will power 12 volt circuits at working RPMs.
  18. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been too long, I know. Bike is still in the same condition. Hopefully ill find some time soon to make it rideable :) havent forgot about it yet ;)
  19. drmrhonda580

drmrhonda580 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, you can use the complete electrical system including stator, rotor & atu / pickup from a cb250rsa. It works well as the motors are basically the same. I run a 1981 xl250s/r/rs hybrid 12v adv spec & it's one of the best bikes i've owned to be honest. Yours is coming on nicely, I look forward to see it finished
  20. 131unlimited

131unlimited Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a long time fan of XL's - I say thank you for rebuilding this one, not many would have done it. Great work !