Honda XL250s 1980

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Dutch_, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Just4Fun11

Just4Fun11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    E5724E94-49BC-4F5A-80CF-C86F8234B548.jpeg Nice to see someone bringing back an old Honda xr. I found an 86 xl250r, the dual carbs were a pain. But other wise a fantastic air cooled machine that would pull away from a newer technology 09 klx250s!
    Nice work your doing, it will be nice to see your completed restoration.
  2. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. I did something like that on my xl500s. I used the coil and magneto from a spare xl500r engine I had on shelve. The output is now the same as a XL500R, on a 500s.

Also, the setup on the 250s does work perfectly! I have 12vdc with the XR 600 reg/rec to power the LEDs. So it is possible to hack the 6v system of a S model to 12v, as long as you don't draw too much.
    The cb250rs is hard to find in NL.. :(

Thank you!
    I have to say I'm quite lucky that I have so many spare parts which I gathered in the past from xr/xl 500r/s. I literally dig in my parts bins of these bigger bikes and luckily a lot fits straight away. Also the Dutch XL forum helped me with parts too!

No exhaust yet though... If someone knows where to find a XL/XR250S exhaust in Europe, hit me up!

It's been a year since I touched it :( work and living life came in between.. Yeah I really love these machines. The 250 and 500 are really easy to maintain and so much fun to ride.

Tomorrow I have my first ride of this season planned on my xl500R. It's gonna be fun to ride it again. It'll be hard not to hooligan....

Grt Dutch
    Just4Fun11 likes this.
  3. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found the exhaust! Soon more..
  4. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally after about 1,5 years the story continues!

After searching for a year online and buying a pipe that didnt fit, I found a BSM exhaust in great condition. I didnt expect parts for a xl250 to be this hard to be found...

The exhaust was an easy fit. The saddle I took from my XL500s and the rearfender I had laying around are fitted too. It looks like a bike again :D

[​IMG]

The sidecovers I sanded in the past before but I wasnt happy with the result. So I redid them.

Before:
    [​IMG]

Lots and lots of sanding. The covers didn't turn out how I wanted them. The scratches and dents were deep so I used polyester filler to fill it. After an hour of sanding they were good to go.
    Prepping for paint:
    [​IMG]

After the first layer of primer:
    [​IMG]

And a few scratches were again visible. So I applied more putty and also filled the line on the lefthand cover.

First layers of red paint:
    [​IMG]

No pictures yet of the covers after spraying the clear coat. Ill post them this weekend hopefully.

Chain guard needed some cleaning too. Some light sanding and a bit of paint thinner removed it all. Old grease on the inside has also been cleaned. Fitting was a bit harder..had to remove the rear wheel in order to gain acces to mount the little bracket in the back.
    [​IMG]

Fitted:
    [​IMG]

The rear fender/light cables needed to be extented:
    [​IMG]

Fresh and clean galvanized bolts! I am still looking for the air filter holder and the spring. Of course I had to try the bike ;) Starting was easy. The carburettor is too rich. Needs adjustment. Same with the throttle cables, clutch and brakes.

Just a picture, nice and clean :D
    [​IMG]

For the speedo I went with a Honda XR 250 speedo from Ali express, since I had a mount for an XR600 already.
    [​IMG]

The new front tire also came in. I went with a Mitas E10. Of course with a new inner tube. Those will be fitted this weekend.

Grt Dutch
  5. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s alive!
    Dutch_ likes this.
  6. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still couching a bit on the rich mixture but I'll fix that on Saturday !

Cant wait to get her dirty :D
  7. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did I already tell you guys she's running? Like a horse?
    But still a bit too rich. I've ran it without the airfilter holder. Took her for a spin and cruised around for an hour. The airfilter holder is in the mail which I expect any of these days. Also a new aircutoff valve has been ordered so ill replace and mount those parts this weekend hopefully.

Besides that, I've found new exhaust pipes since the old ones were too rusty and leaking. The new ones eh....look like new. Since they are new!

I also stole the rear fender and light of my 500s btw. Dont tell the old lady, she might get mad hehe. Oh also the speedo and headlight, which arent connected since thats still on a 6v bulb.

Here's a pic of her now with the new headers, tires, fresh paint etc.
    zijkant bijna klaar (2).jpg
    JagLite, Montford, Scoozi and 2 others like this.
  8. Montford

Montford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Nice to see another old XL being rescued,here's acouple of pics of my 1981 XL250S which I bought in 1983.
    I recently gave it a bit of a makeover as it had become very tired after years of offroad use and commuting to work in the winter,rust had really taken its toll.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    JagLite, Dutch_ and benedikt.m like this.
  9. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow yours looks really good too!

What kind of exhaust pipes are those? Did you make those or...?

Grt Dutch
  10. Montford

Montford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Dutch the exhaust is a Micron system ,unfortunately the company is no longer in business,I was lucky enough to find it on ebay lightly used and in great condition.
    It replaced another Micron system which I had put on the bike around 1986 on which the chrome headers had rusted through and I had patch welded them so many times that they were pretty mush toast,the silencer was still in good condition and I managed to sell the old system on ebay and recovered nearly half the cost of the replacement.
    There is a company in the UK ,Dave Silver spares,that specializes in old Honda spares that stocks a pattern replacement system for the XLS ,its pretty pricey but looks more like the original.
    Unfortunately I binned the original exhaust, which was still ok,in 1986.
  11. Dutch_

Dutch_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Montford,

The pipes really reminds me of the later XR250. Thats why I was asking. They look awesome on your bike!

About the bike, it needed some adjusting of the carb. First it was running rich. After replacing the aircutoff it was already a lot better, but still not perfect. And I do like m perfect...So next step was checking the float. The little spring in the floatneedle of the XL250R carb wasn't working properly, like, dead. After replacing the floatneedle now it runs a tad too lean. I've ordered a new pumper and a 115 and 120 main jet. I'll continue the testing and adjusting next week when I have some spare time again.

I also got ahold of a plastic headlight cover for a XR600. I'll add a big square led headlight to the bike. I;d love to keep it original, but the 6v and even 12v headlights from those days are like a candle.

Besides that I had some fun on the bike. Did a few longer testrides now. The bike handles really nice except the throttle response for now.

Oh, the 4 studs to mount the exhaust to the cilinderhead are worn out. I already managed to get 2 out and replaced them. Does anyone have a trick up their sleve to get the last 2 out? They wont budge and with the trick with 2 or 3 nuts, I am affraid they'll break. Sprayed them already overnight (multiple tries) with WD40 but no luck...

Grtz Dutch