Honda XL600 Airbox Alternative - Custom 3D Printed Intake Manifolds

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by jrh00800, Apr 16, 2018.

1. jrh00800

jrh00800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took on a free '85 XL600 a few years back with a trashed upper end and various other issues. One of the biggest PITA about this particular bike was the mammoth airbox.....I came up with some quick fitting 3D printed intake manifolds to replace the airbox! They work amazing for me, several others have discovered them as well and I thought a thread for these might be warranted. Bye-bye airbox!! Not to mention obsolete impossible to find rubber intake manifold boots-to-carbs that are cracked and leaking!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bitingdog likes this.
  2. jrh00800

jrh00800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    (Originally posted june 23rd, 2015) Finishing up a rebuild of this '85 (info from this forum has been very helpful!) and wanted to get rid of the stock airbox and connectors as they were rotted/cracked. Designed a 3D printed solution - new air intake manifolds! Still need to figure out battery placement/support. Matched up carb side and filter side to 2" O.D. Manifolds bend around rear shock and allow better mounting of clamp on air filters. An automotive hose clamp will secure both the carb and manifold together. I should wrap the connection with heat shrink or some other thin sealing /cushioning layer before the hose clamp...as well as come up with another support for both manifolds near air filters for added stability. Will update once bike is running. In the meantime, any thoughts, improvements, or possible issues?

Right side: http://shpws.me/IrAt

Left side: http://shpws.me/Irzj

New info added this post:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. jrh00800

jrh00800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    (Originally posted July 23rd, 2015) Thought my 85 XL600R noise issue was just a timing chain tensioner....ended up being chewed up cam, rockers, center journal....I had some fun...
    Now just need to fix a pesky oil leak, and Figure out a new battery scheme after adding my custom intake manifolds. So far one fried LiFePO4 battery, and my battery eliminator capacitor doesn't seem to work too well either. Might need to swap out brake lights and turn signals with LED's.
  4. jrh00800

jrh00800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    (Originally posted Feb 6th, 2015) I know this is an old post but for any of those who may be interested in a stock airbox alternative (Since the intake boots are scarce/no longer available): properly fitting intake manifolds for the XL600 - here's a link to such a solution: http://shpws.me/IrAt & http://shpws.me/Irzj

New info added this post:
    Vid:
  5. jrh00800

jrh00800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some pics of a '86 XL600 with 3D printed intakes:

"Some pictures attached. Sound is awesome, still have to re-jet for a little bit more power. The ABS pipe is an additional toolbox. I went with a regular battery, that was the most Amp-Hr I could fit and I'm running a short LED bar on the front for night riding."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bitingdog and sick_boy like this.
  6. jrh00800

jrh00800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Electronics and battery relocation after mod:

Here is a pic of how I laid out electronics and new battery - a note on the battery, the new ricky stator that i have would fry 12v rechargeable packs....ended up installing a 13.2V battery and it has worked like a charm (http://www.batteryspace.com/custom-...00mah-11x2-3a-with-5-5x2-1mm-female-jack.aspx) you may not have the same problem depending on output of your stator. Have fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. jrh00800

jrh00800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Close-ups of cable restrains (These intakes are Shapeways Red):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bitingdog likes this.
  8. shenaniganiz0r

shenaniganiz0r n00b

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old thread but I've always wanted to ask something about this.

I have an '86 XL600R and the previous owners took the stock intake manifold off and put some pods on the carbs. They left the rest of the airbox intact though.

I'm totally new to owning a motorcycle and nearly just as new to the world of mechanics, so I do a lot of reading and lurking on forums like this one. I read that pod filters are discouraged on this bike because it negatively affects the power band, especially at the top end, and apparently pod filters are awful with keeping dirt out. I also read that they make jetting more difficult.

Those of you who have printed and used these manifolds, could you comment on these issues/provide some perspective, please?
  9. shenaniganiz0r

shenaniganiz0r n00b

Oddometer:
    Is bumping okay? I'd really like some insight from you guys on running pods on the XL600R.
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Pods are ok in the absence of nothing or velocity stacks :D Im not knocking the OP of this thread, he didn't have anything and his setup is a interesting way to address the problem, The carbs are jetted and setup for an airbox and when you remove it or buy a bike without one and run pods then you have to dial in the jetting to a different setup, all 3 circuits are effected and in the case of this bike they are spread between the two carbs, it can be done for sure but you'll be very good at jetting an XL before your finished. There's some inherent reasons an airbox is a good idea and why the manufacturers use them, it does a decent job of protecting the filter from excessive dirt and water. Ride a bike equipped with pods in pouring rain and you'll know what I'm talking about. It also provides a still volume of air to the motor to pull from when the throttle is opened up from idle which helps the low end power. Take the airbox off and off idle transition generally suffers the most. Like I said if your good enough you can tune most of that out but it's a chore. I'd look for a used replacement airbox in a off-road bike before I ran a pod but that's just me.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  11. Cord

Cord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the OP still around???

I was wondering how these intakes lasted over time? Have the vibrations killed them? Also what is the overall length? I have a non-standard exhaust and am trying to work out if these intakes will fit. Thanks
  12. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    jrh00800
    Adventurer

jrh00800 was last seen:
    Apr 16, 2018
    Bitingdog likes this.
  13. Cord

Cord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe i just need to buy the files and print some and see how i get on.

Cheers.
  14. George Buckmaster

George Buckmaster n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm also going down this road, did anyone try it yet? rejetting?
  15. XRLated

XRLated Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: