Honda XR350R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MZcountryboy, Nov 23, 2007.

1. getonyourbikeandride

getonyourbikeandride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still looking...
  2. Undercover Poe

Undercover Poe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about some JB weld?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. sdubfid

sdubfid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just sold a new oem xl350r intake boot for 175US. They are available at some shops in Europe online still 83-84 xr350 should work too. You can find used ones on ebay as well.
  4. letank

letank Adventurer

Oddometer:
    STOLEN from our trailer monday morning in SF it was locked to the rail, plated 16R5337, 83 with an 84 front disk and CR caliper and rear arm of an XR600
    the thieves tried to pry the DR as well but the lock was better....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. letank

letank Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Clutch cable is no longer on the dealer list... what is your best resource?
  6. getonyourbikeandride

getonyourbikeandride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motion Pro. They can be found on ebay easily.
  7. Cheddarhead

Cheddarhead Perenial Noobie!

Oddometer:
    Pewaukee....Lakes, Rivers, Kettles, and Moraines
    I am monitoring Ebay to see if any more are posted / offered for sale.

My GoogleFu must be weak...I haven't found any euro listings for said Unicorn. Can you point me in the right direction?

Going to try to bond the existing pieces in place...but they are likely Factory Original and are very stiff / brittle....so this might not end too well. Also thinking that, if I do chase down a bonded solution, then it's likely that I could substitute a fresh / modern boot, as long as the ID of the rubber pieces match the factory dimensions.

The guy working on the bike has been pretty pumped to see such a well-preserved / stock version of a 30+ year-old DS. He thinks that, other than this air leak issue, it'll run (and run...and run) very well...which is what I'm hoping for. It would be a shame to have to part it out...
  8. Cheddarhead

Oddometer:
    Continuing these discussions....

Stumbled across a company called "Sudco International"...located in Compton, CA.

They make a Manifold adapter (along with other related bits and bytes) that will convert the dual carb set-up of my '84 350 to a single carb system, using a Mikuni TM34 Carb.

Anybody ever heard of this / any experience with this system?

This seems like it might be the proverbial answer to my Unicorn hunt...
  9. Gibster

Gibster high desert roamer

Oddometer:
    I got all my Motion Pro cables from Dennis Kirk.
  10. letank

letank Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thank you for the help, found a local shop that rebuilt the cable, interesting process, put new cable and the appropriate ferrules for the hand and case control levers

So if you are stuck in Moab, go to arowhead motorsport, off spanish trail South of Moab. Fred is very experienced man. Has all the needed supplies and more.
  11. letank

letank Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Received a cal from SFPD last nite, the bike is at the pound, received a second call, asking if I had loaned the bike to Mr. XX YY, so the #$*@ has been arrested.

Doing some paperwork so one of my kids can retrieve the bike and have it towed to their place. Apparently the bike is complete...
    Stretch67 and Cheddarhead like this.
  12. Cheddarhead

Oddometer:
    Great news! Glad to hear that it hasn't been chopped...or beaten to death yet.

Hopefully the dirtbag will spend a few months in County lockup. Thieves just suck....
  13. gvthnks

gvthnks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep. Great news and hope the bums get hammered for it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
  14. Undercover Poe

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. Undercover Poe

Oddometer:
    no but I have often thought that would be a idea. I never understood why two carbs with one cylinder. I have enough trouble keep one carb clean and adjusted, why would I want to double that problem? I've been deterred from buying many a Honda because it had dual carb. I'd like to hear the successful outcome of this project.
  16. letank

letank Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally back in town, retrieved the bike from the next door neighbors.
    The oil level was 1q low to reach the midrange on the oil gauge, after running the engine for 2 min, there were no abnormal noises.
    Rechecked the oil level and it was grey, so I drained and flush with a pint of car oil. Added fresh oil, and I need to get a new oil filter before a restart, because the poor oil filter was dark grey as well, and the oil very liquidish, it never dripped but flow continuously until the case was empty.
  17. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was my solution to the same problem, the bike being an '87 XL250R.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/converting-a-dual-carb-xl250r-to-single-carb.788941/

The trouble is the aluminum manifold transfers a lot of heat from the head to the carb. The fuel in the float bowl boils, and the float drops open, releasing more fuel into the float bowl, and the bike floods. Badly. Once I figured out the problem, I learned to shut off the fuel a few seconds before stopping the engine. It's annoying, but not a huge deal now that I know how to deal with it. But there's no way an unfamiliar rider could deal with it.

What it needs is an inch or two of insulating material between the carb and manifold, but that would push the carb back toward the airbox, where there really isn't room.

Ideally, my manifold needs to be made of rubber. I believe your Sudco find may be the answer.

Thanks.
  18. Undercover Poe

Oddometer:
    Saw this fine specimen out at one of our favorite riding spots yesterday. Beautiful and Completely stock. This made
    My day: [​IMG]
    wrk2surf likes this.
  19. Utahmikerbike

Utahmikerbike n00b

Oddometer:
    XR400 rockers fit '85 XR350. Rockers on the left with no numbers are XR400.

However, modification probably needed to use decompression mechanism.

XR400 RH EX and LH IN are not the same. LH IN doesn't have a tab for the manual decomp. RH EX does but it also has the large can pad for the auto decomp.

I only need to replace the RH EX on my '85 XR350 so I'm gonna buy an XR4 LH IN and trade the position of the XR3 LH IN and RH EX, as they are the same.

Also, I bought a rocker from an '85 XL350 and it would have worked, but it uses a square on top of the lash adjustment and the thread isn't the same. So XR400 rockers should work for all 83-85 XR and XL 350. image.jpg image.jpg
    ADV67 and sdubfid like this.
  20. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Great info we need to have alternatives as a lot of the parts are discontinued for the 350r