Honda XR350R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MZcountryboy, Nov 23, 2007.

1. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite

anyone contact sudco to see if they still carry it? The 85 has a single carb.
  2. Cheddarhead

Cheddarhead Perenial Noobie!

Oddometer:
    Pewaukee....Lakes, Rivers, Kettles, and Moraines
    So...having been laid-off for several months, I'm starting a new gig next week...which will provide me the resources to re-visit the resurrection of my XR350L.

Going to give it one more shot with the factory dualcarb set-up...if that doesn't work, I'll try the Sudco approach.

Springtime is coming...need to ride! PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) has set in hard!
    Stretch67 likes this.
  3. Cheddarhead

Cheddarhead Perenial Noobie!

Oddometer:
    Pewaukee....Lakes, Rivers, Kettles, and Moraines
    Apologies for quoting myself...but I find it makes it easier to follow the thread, as there are numerous discussions underway at the same time!

Anyway....so I spoke with my Wrench this AM...he's got time on / about 1 April to tear into the XR with me / for me. If the dual carb set-up isn't working, then we'll go forward with the Sudco.

Can't wait...but I guess I'll have to.
  4. Undercover Poe

Undercover Poe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put this everywhere else on adv rider so why not here:
    [​IMG]
    1985 HONDA XR 350 FOR SALE located in Connecticut

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Rogue_Ryder and Brtp4 like this.
  5. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ill be picking up a 'basket case' soon for my 'ride it like you stole it' restoration. Eager to see where I can find plastics and the likes. 84 Dual carbie I think it is.
  6. The_flyer

The_flyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went out for the first ride of the season yesterday. A little bit muddy. 1983 xr350r made street "legal"

Attached Files:

7. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lovely day for a ride :)
  8. Undercover Poe

Undercover Poe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool set up. That sticker is going to steal the face from right off of my head. What's up with that rear rack. Let's see a better pic of that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. The_flyer

The_flyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wooden rack with the rear signals attached to It. Nothing fancy. I will get a better pic soon and post it.
  10. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread needed a little jolt.. so I went out and bought this:
    20180805_115338.jpg

1985 Single carb XR350r. Road it around town for a little shake down. Everything seems to be working fine. Even starts pretty easy.. including when hot. Trans has a little bit of lash to it but not too bad. Digital gauges still work too! I traded an xl250 I recently bought as an 'extra' bike for my son-in-law and/or friends to ride. The 250 was just seriously lacking power. This 350 moves out real well. The paint job is a bit.. a... interesting. Not sure if I want to do a little restoration on it or just leave it and beat the chit out of it.
    enduro16, ADV67 and Bultaco206 like this.
  11. Tanker_01

Tanker_01 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread. There's a lot of good stuff in here for these old bikes! I have an '83 I am working on now. This poor bike has had a lot of overtightened bolts and other rookie mistakes like not properly cleaning the inside of the engine. I am currently to the point of installing the timing chain again (kid I got it from forgot to put in the front tensioner slide so I had to pull and reinstall the top of the head) I am looking at the pulse generator system and I do not have an Indexing spline. My stator does not have a F position to time from. It does have a T, 2 lines, and 3 lines on it. Which one of these is to time my pulse generator and how do I place it on the shaft when timing?
  12. SkunkApe

SkunkApe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Picked up an 83 XR350R and the drum brake is warped.

Want to know what I need to convert to a disc brake. Do I need an entire 84-85 front end?
  13. NavyF4

NavyF4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Folks, I know this is a 350 thread but bear with me. Got a little puzzle here.

Bought a 94 XR250L 16 years ago. Rode it twice, gave to my son who stripped it down and rode it off-road for a couple years. Then the bike went into storage until recently when I decided to resurrect it and restore it to street legal configuration.

Got it up on the lift and discovered the front wheel rim was cracked both sides at the same place. Bought a wheel for a XR250L off fleabay, ad pix showed stamped code "1.60-21 96--11--07" on the rim, same as the wheel on the bike. New wheel with rotor arrived, very nice condition and the hub configuration looked exactly the same as the old wheel. Until I tried to install it.

Then I discovered that the axle that went with the old wheel was too big in diameter for the new wheel's hub. Axle for the old wheel is 17mm. New wheel hub takes a 15mm axle. At that point a dim recollection lit up. The seller 16 years ago, a serious dirt rider, told me he'd installed a 350 front end on the bike. Don't remember what if anything he said about what kind of 350. Not sure if he said Honda 350.

So, the forks on the bike are Showa, non-slider tubes are 43mm diameter and are marked for compression adjustment on both bottom ends. Fork top ends don't have an air cap - there's a slot head screw that looks like it might be a preload adjustment. Caliper is a dual-pot Nissin, marked "27".

Any suggestions for identifying these forks? I'm hoping that a bearing switch in the new wheel will allow use of the larger axle. Lemme know what kind of pix might help. Many thanks.
  14. Maknwine

Maknwine n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like this thread is a bit stale. Well, I thought(still do) I made a decent score on a nice looking and running 83' xr350. Bike was on craigslist for a while and kept dropping in price. Has all the parts that usually get lost on these bikes and at some point will make a really easy restoration project IMO. I'll get some pics taken and posted soon. Anywho, the engine started straight up with ease while cold and idled for 3-5 minutes with no stumbling with out choke, no smoke, no hesitation while accelerating and ran out great. So first day looking before buying wasn't able to ride it as no where to ride but started it and idled as it should. Second day looking at it before buying I rode it around 4 laps on a 1.5 acre area. I was satisfied bike was working as it should and would make a good trail bike to hit some trails with my son and keep hours off the 78' cr250r. Paid for it, went on in house came back out hour later rode it around 4 laps same area and on 5th lap she died. No spark!
    Waited awhile cool down, she fires up and same thing, can't make it 5 laps....no spark! So its obvious once its hot and electrical problem is killing this old beast. Been looking on yt for test etc and suspect it to be the pulse generator. Haven't inspected the flywheel side stator area yet but will get to it before long. I guess it could be the CDI but have gone thru a lot of threads with people replacing that first with no luck.

If anyone has a good link to the steps I should be taking I wont refuse the help.
    Thanks without Spark,
  15. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    let me ask my buddy. had the same problem with his sisters '83 xr350r, would run fine for a while, die & run again after 10 minutes or so. its supposedly fixed now
  16. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice resurrection of the dead thread. hahaha...

I've taken mine out a couple times. Great bike. I might have to actually throw some money into it and redo the suspension.
  17. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    my buddy said it was the pulse generator
  18. Zahnarzt

Zahnarzt Crashes Much

Oddometer:
    Mid Missouri - Clearing Brush and pickin' ticks
    20190623_205449.jpg 20190623_205538.jpg 20190623_205526.jpg So as with most things in life, when I need help I turn to ADV...

I promised a local kid, who is not well off, that I would help him get his moto running if he would do some yard work and other chores around the house. I have done this for others and it seems to work out well. Usually a carb clean or a bad plug or other quick and easy fix.

Well, this isn't like that.
    He drops off the most abused and terrified looking 1983 XR350R I have ever seen. Wires cut, missing most of the plastics, thread bare tires and caked on oil everywhere... (Pics will be uploaded soon)

I tried to tell him that it would be MUCH better to scrap this one and start with a bike that at least had "most" the parts attached.

He says he can't 'cause his dad is already pissed that he bought this one and he has to get it running.

Challenge accepted, Iv'e built bikes in worse shape... (but they were usually a more common model)

So, If anyone has any spares laying around that they could part with, Please let me know.

Items I know I need just from the first overlook.

Clutch side cover - Cracked
    Front disk brake reservoir - some one upgraded to disk brake
    Air box.
    any plastics, any condition
    Seat - it has one but the pan is cracked

Many thanks

Charles
  19. Zahnarzt

Zahnarzt Crashes Much

Oddometer:
    Mid Missouri - Clearing Brush and pickin' ticks
    More pics...for the morbidly curious

20190623_205949.jpg 20190623_205517.jpg 20190623_205316.jpg 20190623_205724.jpg
  20. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    pretty rough
    i worked on a couple similar that were a disgrace. its not worth it imo