Honda XR400 [1997] The DirtDawg Chronicles

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GCRad1, Oct 4, 2007.

1. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The XR400 powerplant is chillin' and ready to visit secret location. Time to get that tranny fixed and maybe even a little top end freshy-fresh'en'ing.
  2. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clutch basket looks like it has been used for basket weaving:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This clutch basket is TOAST! Notice the areas where the clutch plates sit in the basket and how they have worn grooves in the basket. This is what lends to "hard pull" on the clutch lever. I was always so excited to go ride, I never complained about how hard the clutch was to pull. So, now to see if anyone has an aftermarket clutch basket or go with the good'ol factory Honda clutch basket.

:lobby
  3. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The previous owner/shop/racer team of Rick & Phil Gero of Vance & Hines Motorcycle Center located in Sun Valley, California built this bike for his Phil to race in the desert. That was many years ago! Then the bike was sold. Then loaned to a friend and so on before I secured the bike and brought it back to Rick to service as it sat for 2-years or so before I saddled it up.

[​IMG]
    Basically, it's had a HARD LIFE!

[​IMG]
    So I guess this is what the HARD LIFE looks like.

[​IMG]
    The rockers have been over rocked like G-Pa on the turbo rockin chair!

WEB CAM:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This bike has the 440-kit in it, plus the cam, so I bet back in the day it ran strong. I will give WEB CAM a call an see if they do a re-build/grind, or purchase a new WEB or Honda Factory cam. Maybe a WEB CAM with some Cryogenic treatment? Either way, with the engine re-freshed, the DirtDawg is going be AWESOME!!!
  4. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SO, the main reason for tearing the engine down...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Second gear lost four teeth on one side and one tooth on the other side. This is a CRAZY RARITY for a XR400 motor! This bike has had a hard life before I got my hands on it. But still a rarity! Time to get some parts together to rebuild the DirtDawg!
  5. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The oil pump cogs are scared a bit and will replace these. Replacing these will help keep the oil pressure up to par and oil pressure is the lifeblood of the motor!
  6. G600

G600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Wow... Whoww... this engine sure has had a long, hard life. :eek1:eek1:eek1.

Most interesting, please keep posting...
  7. ZuminaZX

ZuminaZX n00b

Oddometer:
    definitely had oil starvation/poor oil problems.
  8. Bigdog54

Bigdog54 MX X-Over Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know it's been awhile since anyone posted on this thread but I would LOVE to know the outcome and price of the engine work?