Honda XR650L Weight Loss Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Brtp4, Feb 11, 2012.

1. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike build for sure but with a full 5.8 Acerbis your still pushing 350. Am I close? Not sure if I would feel a big difference. But it sure would look better:D
  2. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:

I've got friends with both and I agree the the XRL and the 690 should be the natural comparison. I've ridden the 500 quite a bit but I've only done a mile or so on road with the 690. I'm beginning to think it was just that specific 690 but I didn't like it. It just didn't feel right. I love the 500 but it's not really a long term adv bike. It's an amazing dirt bike and perfect for shorter trips but the 690 and XRL would be much better for longer stuff.

Brtp any reason you went with the acerbic and not the Clarke or IMS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also have a Clarke 4.0 gallon. I just looked on page 1 and the Clarke 4.0 or 4.7 is almost 4 lbs lighter. That would get it to 299.

BBTW, I have a friend with a tricked out 690. We put it on the scale with fuel, not sure how much exactly but lets say 5 gallons. It was over 400 lbs, I want to say 417. We took a pic, I will post it up soon.

When you start checking real weight, it is rarely less than you think.

BP
  4. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:

I think the 5.8 would probably look better than the 4.0 or 4.7 on your bike but man I hated my 5.8 offroad. Even only partially filled it was big and awkward. I would also bang my knees off the top corner where the seat meets the tank. It was nice for exploring though.

Damn that's a porky 690. I wonder if they have a weight loss thread. Hahaha

5. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Sorry if you know this already, but to be clear that is the 5.8 Acerbis on there.

I was wrong about the 690:

[​IMG]

BP
  6. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:

Yeah I know, the 5.8 looks good on your bike. I was just saying I think it looks better with the 5.8 than it would with either of the other. I usually don't like the red framed bikes but your black engine cover, swing arm, and rims make that beast smokin hot!

That 690 is still a porker. Is that dry?

7. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Those white side panels are killing me. I keep hoping Honda would release a new version of the 650L with them in red, so I could get to something like this (photoshop):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No, that 690 weight is with a good amount of fuel. Total capacity is about 10 gallons, I am guessing he had it half full. 5 x 6.5 = 33, so 359-ish dry, BUT....with racks, fairing, damper, big skidplate, handguards, etc.

BP
  8. treelinerider

treelinerider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to see the competition on the scale!

Great build Brian and thanks for sharing all of the helpful info!
  9. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    Interesting idea the competition with 690s bit. In my experience, they tend to appeal to different people. I had a XR600 before the 690 and they are just about equally robust as far as the engine is concerned. The 690 can also go much further between services. Mine is used exclusively for rallying. Last year I ran 5 stages in a row without changing the oil (I was simply to tired in the evenings). After 2500 km of race stages, the shift quality started to deteriorate.

My 690 in race trim is 390 lb. It also cost about as much as 4 XRLs to build (we can still get them new in South Africa although Honda has now stopped importing them). Depending on gearing, my 690 will do about 170 - 185 kph on a dirt road. It can also hit big stuff at speed without being unsettled.

So, why do I visit this threat? An XRL in this trim will complement a rallye spec 690 nicely. A pre-runner, if you like. Fit in between my small 2 and 4T KTM race bikes and the full dress 690.
  10. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:

Not Fair. Subframe fuel tank, rally skid guard and luggage rack, and ADV setup.
  11. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Weight on a scale is the only comparison I am making. Even that has limited relevance once rolling. The 690 really is in a different league. A 650L is a good bike but works you when you try to ride it hard.

Thanks.

BP
  12. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    Nice finished product Brian , 1st class bike fo sho , took plenty long time but who cares , :huh

In my book , I'm gonna put you on the same level with the Wattner/CW team , along with Stevo and 1 or 2 others . :deal

Whats next coming down the pipeline . ???
  13. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    No criticism was intended, just some additional data. If I ever build a XRL, this is the recipe I'll follow.
  14. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    few times I've looked into this thread and read some,forgot some,laughed some(Big Man using his grocery scale:thumb) read it all up again.
    What a great initiative for starting this thread.It sure is interesting for those of us happen to have/keep such a bike and it actually has potencial to shave quite a bit of the ol' girl,can't be seen as a drawback..
    I am gonna look into here when I'm (soon?) gonna build up my ever first off-road bike.Weight will be central issue.

Your bike man is very cool,got personality,achieved that 80's look as intended specially the blue seat,on top of that you have goodie parts.
    Happy with the performance..?
    Swingarm powdercoated or anodized..?
  15. xr400r

xr400r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always liked that color scheme in the mid 80s.
  16. treelinerider

treelinerider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the oem headlight and I'm tempted to move to XRS Only Baja Designs LED Squadron Headlight XR650L: http://www.xrsonly.com/xrs-only-baja-designs-led-squadron-light-xr650l-88-15

I found this in a previous post:
    OEM Headlight and Brackets, 2.3 (estimate)

The weight of the squadron pro is 12 ounces plus custom brackets. I don't know how much the brackets weigh. I'll just guess 4 ounces for simplicity.

Looks like a 1.3lb potential weight savings. What have I overlooked?
  17. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    New look for the old girl. 20 years old now:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. aviatorbdm

aviatorbdm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BRTP4, that is a great build. One of the best I have seen. I had been in the process of doing something similar to my 94 prior to last summer then crashed, bent frame. Lost interest. Frame is almost back to stock now. You have reinvigorated my interest!

In fact mine looks a lot like Aztom's...with blue side plates.
  19. Sledred

Sledred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brtp4 and AZ TOM - great looking bikes for sure. They almost look like different bikes to begin with but they have the same base 650L reliability although set up slightly different by each of you. Very cool...
  20. guinnessextreme

guinnessextreme Adventurer

Oddometer:
    krylon fusion red is pretty close for the side panels. Not perfect, but close.

[​IMG]
    SnoPro753 likes this.