Honda XR650L Weight Loss Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Brtp4, Feb 11, 2012.

1. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
  2. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
  4. rustyx

rustyx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I tried googling were to buy those sweet cycle wizard snail adjusters and I couldn't find it. Where'd you get yours?
  5. Brtp4

Oddometer:
  6. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, and I mean WOW....stumbled on this thread while looking for info on lightening a XR650L. Wondered how feasible it would be to get one below 300 lbs full of gas (my personal weight limit for a bike).

BP....I applaud your efforts and admire your approach. Very common sense approach that made a lot of sense. Bottom line is it looks pretty darn difficult and/or expensive to meet my goal. I always tell my riding buddies that any bike ridden off road should be below 300 lbs fully fueled. Two reasons....1. I can pick it up and put it on a work stand in the garage and 2. If I crash in the woods and the bike falls on top of me, I can get out from under it without chewing my leg off. Guess my XR650L build isn't going to even get started.....I thank all of you for the info and for saving me a truck load of money, time, and frustration.

Want to weigh your bike but don't have access to a scale....just buy one set of digital bathroom scales, a 2x6 that is about two feeet longer than your bike....put the bike on the 2x6 and the scale at the edge of the 2x6 in front of the bike, roll the bike forward and record the weight of the front end, repeat for the back end, and add the two together. You have just gotten the weight of your bike to the nearest 1/10 of a pound.

My current build....a WR250R Yamaha which has been converted to a Supermoto configuration. Current weight is 297 lbs (full of gas)....I want to add an IMS 3.0 gallon tank (one gallon more than stock). Need to drop another five pounds to end up at 299 lbs fully fueled. All the easy stuff has been removed already...going to be a little bit of a challenge.

To everyone who contributed to the XR650L weight loss thread....I am very Impressed and Thankful, great job!
    AZ TOM likes this.
  7. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only thing & I stress the only thing that has me riding a DRZ400E is the weight. After owning 3 XR650L's I will always miss them.
  8. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words. For what it is worth, yes, it is quite expensive to get an XR650L to 300 pounds. That said, it is reasonable to get it to 310; also the changes do show how to shave weight on any bike, here and there, easily. Taking weight off where you can is a no-brainer. It is also easier to reduce weight on older, low tech, dual sport designs.

Congrats on the WR250R build. That is an excellent platform, really interested in one.

BP
  9. Firestone

Firestone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried lightening up my XR650l, then ended up being and XR600. Then ended up on an CR250 and finally an XR400. My built 400 does everything I did with my XR600 and weighs less. win win. That said it is 20 years old. IF I was just a casual dirt rider the XR650L is still a ton of fun . For racing I needed to shed some weight.
  10. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Weight is why I bought a KLX250, and more recently gave that bike to my wife and am shopping for a WR250R. The XR is a great dirt and gravel road bike, but I don't ride much real dirt with it. If the trails are dry I'll try some easy stuff sometimes, more so now that I'm in-between 250's.

DRZ feels that much lighter? I rode a friend's a couple of times but he has it lowered 2" and it was hard to tell how it would feel at stock height. I liked it, haven't really ruled one out yet instead of the WRR.
  11. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did not find that the DRZ 400 felt any lighter then a XR 650L on tight trails. Of course at the time i had a lot of seat time on a XRL and only about 50 miles on a borrowed DRZ 400
  12. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    wow... must have been an ADV model DR-z.
  13. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    DRZ 400E about 70 lbs lighter.
  14. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    well a pretty much stock DRZ s vs a pretty much stock XRL felt about the same to me. A e model is not factory street legal as the XRL is. I now ride a XR 400 and its feels much lighter then both, of course no e start and not factory street legal but a much better off road bike if you are biased to tighter trails. If i lived out west and road deserts then a i would have stuck with the XRL, except maybe up grade the forks
  15. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    Just park a stock XRL next to a DRZ-S .

Then look real close at the components .

Real close.

Then you will understand why the S model DR-Z hits the scales 29 lb. less that the XRL.
  16. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    I'm talking E model here not S. Plateable here in AZ.
  17. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe the DRZ -s model is lighter, but it does not "feel" lighter, at least to me. every bike feels different to different people.
  18. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 200EXC is a cheater for sure!
    I have a Fredette Replica KDX200 that is also a HOOT in the tite.
    That said I'm on my third XRL, it covers many bases for me with the right mods.
    20180716_135335.jpg
    Brtp4 likes this.
  19. KLXmcrider

KLXmcrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since I have been thinking of getting a 650L and own a DRZ 400E street plated I'll share my info. The DRZ E starts at 262# dry. I purchased it plated with Baja D-S kit and full Yoshimura exhaust and vapor gauge....then Added aluminum bash plate, case cover protection, full wrap aluminum handguards, front fender bag, rear fender tool bag, roll chart holder and 270mm front rotor. Weight with full original 2.6 plastic tank 298#
    My previous D-S bike with similar mods was a Kawasaki KLX 650 C with the Acerbis tank full 375#. Don't remember the Kaw KLX 650 ? Import to US only 4 years, perimeter frame, upside down 43mm forks, floating rotors, Much more powerful than the KLR....but no after market parts ( a few ) small original stock tank 2.2 gal...Heavier than I wanted for off road W/some single track....Plus I have an 650L expert close to home when I go looking....Bikes.com lists the 2012 650L at 344# ready to ride... So what is the lowest weight anyone has reached?....David
  20. Firestone

Firestone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the consensus is that the 650l can get down to about 325 lbs with reasonable effort. I’ve heard other claims but I suspect the bike would no longer be street legal or have a stock flywheel.