Honda XR650L Weight Loss Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Brtp4, Feb 11, 2012.

1. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got to love the BRP 20181222_162920.jpg 20181004_140131.jpg 20180923_183612.jpg 20180923_183541.jpg
    1TRAK likes this.
  2. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    YYZ Rush likes this.
  3. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    To bring up an old thread (searching anything XRL lol), and for myself being a new (used) XRL owner, I can see concern for weight. The XRL, DR650S & 690 KTM are all 'ballpark' (mid 300's) in weight, and the 690 obviously being a superior modern bike. (not even factoring a KLR into the mix)

I don't look at any of these three as a pig (beloved Honda nickname). I look at each as being the lighter 'end weight' as compared to any twin cylinder adv bike. For light touring use.
    Probably slower than the average twin, but when your off pavement travel begins, its an easier bike to ride, or wrestle when that place arrives lol. Going racing? ..look elsewhere.

The single track weight is heavy, the Adv light tourer weight is light. Thats how I will view it.
    osbo, smolt and Harry Potter like this.
  4. motometal

motometal i like motorcycles

Oddometer:
    With basic mods... I loved my xrl. Compared to my te610...It was not lacking on power and was not too heavy. But on any real off roading, the suspension was lacking and the 80s style arrangement with the tank/ seat does not make for proper feel/handling.
  5. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    The wide 6 speed on the Husky is a pretty nice feature though.
    AZ TOM likes this.
  6. motometal

motometal i like motorcycles

Oddometer:
    Yes and it’s about the smoothest trans ive had in a bike. Clutch not bad either for a cable.
  7. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    It seems to be fairly hard to knock weight off the XRL. My new to me XRL has the usual weight take offs already done... full pipe, aluminum bars, lighter (maybe) headlight/tail light/signals, buddy pegs... Then the add backs. Steering dampener, bark busters, tail rack, and now my add to the bike, a rally style fairing. Still hefty. Still tall. I will lower it 1 1/2", is the plan.
    I'll stick with my opinion thats its a light regional tourer. :thumb Fookingruvin.

I am enjoying my return to the XR.

IMG_5989.jpg
    Tallbastid, osbo, YYZ Rush and 4 others like this.
  8. freeway crash

freeway crash Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 20 year old BRP

A6D7CA0E-BFE4-4ADD-BE6B-50D41747F837.jpeg
    After reviewing most of this thread I think it makes more sense for ME to go on a diet and try to loose some weight before I swap the exhaust and battery set up. I’m just saying....
  9. KirkN

KirkN Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just this!

I weigh 215, and should be 180, so that's 35 lbs!! :eekers

On the other hand, getting 35 lbs off ME is about as easy as getting 35 lbs off my XR-L... :lol3
    AZ TOM and osbo like this.
  10. 3girlsdad

3girlsdad aka FiddyK Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bingo! I've always thought to myself, why not just lose weight yourself than 47 grams on the bike. I guess if you are a 140 lb expert rider then it would make sense to shave 20 lbs on the bike. But beyond that, it's on you. This is coming from a 240lb fella...…… just sayin.....
    AZ TOM likes this.
  11. freeway crash

freeway crash Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not having much luck on the diet and this stay at home stuff is adding to the problem...I’ve gotta quit eating and at least get out on the mountain bike. Hang in there
    Harry Potter likes this.
  12. tobiism

tobiism Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the build. Too anyone else looking to lose weight, might I suggest converting to an aluminum subframe? That saved 6lb on the lightweight dr650 I'm building. It does add more complexity as everything rear of the engine has to be redesigned but 6 lb is 6 lb LOL
    20210120_195609.jpg
    On track to be at 310-315 with 2 gallons of gas.
    Brtp4 and jesusgatos like this.
  13. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work.

I do not know the frame of the DR, but I am not sure how much it would save on the 650L. I do not think it would be 6 lbs, more like 2 - 3 (which is still good). The frame is actually quite light for a 650 single:

[​IMG]

That was the point of starting the thread, to illustrate REAL weight savings vs perceived. Sometimes the perceived weights thrown around get pretty funny. For example I have seem someone claim the stock XRL tail light assemble weighing 5, 6, 7 lbs, it is less than 2 IIRC. On the exhaust, you lose more weight by changing the headpipe than the silencer (the stocker and an FMF Q4 weighed the same). @thebigman and I weighed almost everything, and many components were very different than we thought.

Another takeaway was that these older bikes with older tech have more fat to trim than, say, a 701.

In any case, that is a really nice build.

Thanks to Photobucket's implosion, many of my pics are gone. Here are a few from just after purchase to completion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last pic is on a certified scale with exactly 1 gallon of gas, IIRC.

Thanks for looking.

BP
  14. tobiism

Oddometer:
    Thank you!!
    Definitely a great build thread with you weighing everything. I went and bought a scale same as you did and have gone through the same process trying to Pare down this bike without going to extreme Financial measures. I've drilled holes in quite a few things. Sacrificed the cush drive as it will be a dirt only bike, stripped the wiring down to Bare Essentials and quite a few other little tricks. It's interesting once you get involved in trying to cut down weight you find out real quick that you run out of items that you can save pounds on fast. Lol
    Brtp4 likes this.
  15. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite Supporter

Oddometer:
    This project got sidelined, but was all about trimming the fat and there's a lot of it between the stock tank and subframe and all the other extraneous bits. Maybe get around to finishing one of these days...

10c257125b92e403d2550f0135b4aff4.jpg
  16. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Battery biggest savings?
  17. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    And the easiest.

BP
  18. tobiism

Oddometer:
    How do you like the lightened flywheel in the motor? Would you do it again?
  19. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    In a heartbeat. Not for the weight savings solely, but for the throttle response.

In retrospect I should have looked into lightening the crank also. IIRC it weighed well over 20 lbs.

BP
    tobiism likes this.
  20. Birdman69

Birdman69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love this build I've followed it from the beginning i recently became a member and was curious how the reliability was and if you had any issues with the motor how many miles have you put on it since rebuild.