1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Hondo Garage vs Ram Tough Charge

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Candubrain, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Presently I'm using a cheap (less than $25.00 Cdn) clamp on handlebar phone mount and a Lightening to USB cable connected to my Powerlet USB adapter on my GSA

Last year I replaced the lightening cable with a waterproof QI charger, that lasted about 2 months; Amazon was good refunding my money and I'm back to using the Lightening cable. When it rains I unplug it.

I've considered the WunderLINQ, but they are not offering wireless charging and who knows what my next bike will be....not universal.

There are cheap wireless mounts offered by Amazon, but I don't care for how they mount to the bars, preferring the Toughclaw mounts.

This brings me down to two expensive options:

-The Hondo Garage Juiced Squeeze with a bar clamp for $212.00 US, which is aprox $310.00 Cdn, plus $27.00 Cdn shipping to Canada, (total $337.00 Cdn)
    https://shop-hondogarage.com/collec...s-charging-phone-mount?variant=17560160600115

-Or the not yet released Ram Tough-Charge mount for $213.00 Cdn, plus $10.00 Cdn for shipping, (total $223.00 Cdn)
    https://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-tough-charge-waterproof-wireless-charging-mount-with-tough-claw

That is $114.00 difference ($128.00 with tax)

The RAM has not been released, so no way to compare, although I am aware that the RAM X-Grip has had it's quality issues like the rubber bumpers falling off and the need for the safety tether.

Don't know what I'm asking here, just rambling and looking for other opinions.
    The Hondo appears to be the best option, but that is a lot of cash just to upgrade my present system that works fine, but not as refined looking

thanks
    brian
    Manny U likes this.
  2. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't used that specific item, but have bought other things from Hondo. Top notch quality so worth the price IMHO. It would likely be the last one you have to buy. They have great customer service, too, so call them to discuss your options and get more info.
    el Pete likes this.
  3. morse

morse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Hondo Perfect Squeeze juiced. It sure is top quality item in terms of build quality. The price comes from manufacturing differently (better).

I'm not perfectly happy with the design though... The vice style grip is really strong (holds well) but I don't like that you have to tension the nut under it. There is no definate end for the tension (like with a vice grip). You just turn a little, so it is tight. There is a possibility that you put your phone in and forget to turn it tighter.... Please note that all phone don't fit this holder due to positsioning of the buttons - you should ask Hondo first.

At the same time I also have the RAM mount X-grip, which is basically a Tough Charge without the QI charger. The X-grip is a true 20EURO simple holder. It works, but it's not good. The phone can move and it can also fall out (there is a rubber band included to avoid that). I actually think that a better competition for Hondo will be the other new RAM Mount cradle with QI Charging: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-A-UN14W-V7M

I really hope this will be the best bang for buck solution in the future. There is a similar item from RAM without charging also available for ages now. It is an OK piece of equipment - the materials and general build quality is not as good as Hondo, but the way it holds the phone, is in some sense better...
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know that you can reposition the holding lugs, right?
    [​IMG]

BTW The Power Puck is made by an inmate here @Coastie3202
  5. NorOntScout

NorOntScout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have used both the x-grip and the Hondo perfect squeeze.

I like the Hondo one better for holding the phone in place. The x-grip always had to watch how I gripped the phone because it would usually sit on one of the buttons. Less of an issue for me with the Hondo.

I like that I don't need the extra rubber to hold the phone in place as well. It only lasted about 1 yr before needing to be replaced.

If I was getting another I would probably get a Hondo even with the extra cost.

My 5 cents ( since Canada doesn't do pennies anymore)
    Candubrain likes this.
  6. zaxrex

zaxrex I don't know. Do you know?

Oddometer:
    I had a RAM x-grip, now I have a Hondo Juicer.

Never had an incident with either, but the Hondo just feels far more secure.

Not sure what bike you are on, but it might be worthwhile to buy the additional vibration isolator since the entire construction is really robust -- that's an additional expense over the RAM.

I spent the extra money. Your call.
  7. amartin4410

amartin4410 Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hondo all the way. I love the engineering quality behind the mount and it is rock solid. I have used this mount for 2+ years in NYC and trust me when you hit a pothole at 40+ mph, you want the best there is. That to me is Hondo. It is also a plus for me that he is a member here and great reviews to go along with customer service.
  8. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that you tighten the holder EVERY time you put your phone in? (I would also assume you then loosen it each time to remove...)

If you're adjusting it each time, you're not using it as intended - you should have to set it once and then can mount and remove your phone without further adjustment (unless you change cases, or phones or whatever).
  9. Jerm21

Jerm21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t have the charging versions, but I do have experience with both holders. Hondo, hands down. Before they recently (and unfortunately) folded, I was a contributor for Motorcycle Consumer News. I reviewed the Hondo Perfect Squeeze when it first came out. I was majorly impressed and it’s the holder I still use today.

51FD29E4-C101-447B-8433-8F454D924E34.png
  10. KPK

KPK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not even a comparison if you ask me Hondo all the way. I have had my phone fall out of an X ram that was mounted inside a vehicle. This has happened more than once and that is not even exposed to the elements of wind, rain, or snow. I dont sweat it in the vehicle due to the phone only droppping to the floor board. The Hondo I never question or think about it after I secure and tighten it in place. I have also seen testimonies of riders wrecking at high speed and the phone still remained mounted in the cradle.
  11. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Here's the Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze keeping a $1300 iPhone safe at a 30+ MPH crash. I'll never go back to an X-Grip and when you consider the "juiced squeeze" adds 10 watts of wireless charging, it's one less thing to do when I go for a ride. Drop the phone in, it starts charging and off I go.

[​IMG]
    Manny U, DGR, Candubrain and 2 others like this.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I'd have to ask why are you mounting the phone? You are not using visuals are you? I have speakers in my helmet and just use voice/audio. You are not using fingers on the screen whilst riding are you?
    LAFS likes this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    There are people who say they don't use their phones while riding but look at the amount of motorcycle gloves that work with touchscreens now :p bunch of liars!
    LAFS likes this.
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    You can of course stop to punch in an address/directions or garner other wanted info. The gloves could come in handy then. I don't have any that work.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The only time I actually use the phone screen when riding is when following a GPX route that someone sent me at a rally. Can't load it on the Garmin so I view it on the phone but the TFT is improving.

Here are reasons I used to use a phone:
    1. Seeing who was calling before using voice to tell my Sena to pickup
    2. Seeing a text message header to see if I needed to call them back or pull over and respond (I don't have text messages show on my screen only who sent it, not the actual contents)
    3. Following GPX Routes
    4. Following a route in an area with heavy traffic because TomTom's iOS apps have the best live traffic and so it will save me time going through huge epicenters like Atlanta or NYC
    5. Changing the song currently playing.

Now, with TFT everything except #2 is covered by the built in TFT scree. I can import GPX files into the BMW connected app and view them on TFT and live traffic is built into TFT as well as is who is calling me and what song is playing. TFT will not relay SMS messages for obvious reasons but one fix could be turn on auto responder which tells the sender "I'm driving, please call if emergency"

When I started riding, I had no GPS or TFT technology so the phone did a lot more then even when I wasn't directly interacting with the phone while riding.
    Manny U likes this.
  16. morse

morse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah! I realized that at one point. But still. Same as with all the holders, it is not 100% sure that your phone fits. Although, a lot will fit in Hondo.

Really? (Yes, I adjust it every time).

There is two ways to adjust it. One for moving the assembly up and down quickly (the knob behind the mount). This is simple - you use it when you change phones. The main adjuster is the round knob. You can fine tune the tension with this knob. So do you want to say, that I'm supposed to leave it just so tight that I can remove the phone without turning the knob? Won't it fall off this way? I use Kyocera Duraforce Pro 2 on the bike and it is kinda difficult to find a proper setting where I would trust the phone not to fall out without tightening it...

Maybe I need to mention that i ride a 690 and I do have a jump or two on most of my rides off tarmac... :D

In general I agree to all, who say that Hondo's multiple price over X-grip is worth it. Hondo is a top notch product, whereas X-grip is definitely not.
  17. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes, really :)

This was not perfectly clear to me when I first got mine either, but I found this video - I think in their thread here on ADV. The sound and vid quality aren't great, but I think it will help.

I *usually* keep mine in the same place, but if I know that I'm going to be riding something rough I will turn the adjustment wheel two clicks tighter - at that setting I can still remove the phone without adjusting, but it takes one hand to hold the mount and one to pull the phone. (I don't do jumps, but I do occasionally hit some really large potholes/ruts much harder than I mean to on my 1200GSA - sometimes hard enough to move the ram arm, but never moved the phone).

The cool part of this mount, what really keeps your phone in there, is the shape of the posts (tapered toward the base) and the slightly squishy rubber surrounding the posts - the combination gives the phone that - wait for it! - perfect squeeze (good name, right?) to hold it in place without putting so much tension it's stuck.

Edit to add: I'm not affiliated with the maker in anyway - never even met or talked to him on here - and in fact I'm too poor/cheap to even buy one of these, but I got one as a gift; it replaced my Ram-X and it's been a great upgrade.
    ProLeisure and redkerk84 like this.
  18. Jerm21

Jerm21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use my phone for GPS purposes. I connect to the phone via a Sena, which allows me to receive calls, hear directions, and dictate texts (“running late”, etc.). Being able to see who’s calling or texting is another benefit. Not that I’m ripping down the road reading texts... but, if I see a text from my wife, i can ask Siri to read it to me and I can either pull over or dictate a response.

AdamChandler likes this.
  19. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use it as my GPS. My TFT does show when to turn and direction of turn, etc, but I like seeing more of the road, route. I do not use the BMW app for navigation as I prefer the Scenic app as it shows more detail on the map screen. My thumbwheel controls any audio function, except volume where I have to reach up and tap my device that is mounted to my helmet.

As far as swiping while riding, I'm 62, I can only do one thing at a time....hahaha.
  20. SportEvo

SportEvo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Hondo and am a huge fan. Great customer service as well.