Honduras tracks - La Ceiba to Copan

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by freeflow, Apr 2, 2007.

1. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    here is a track log from last week (3/25/2007) ride from La Ceiba to Copan thru San Pedro Sula...
    [​IMG]
  2. freeflow

Oddometer:
    and this file is a detour after we hit a political road block...it routes the long way (south of La Entrada)...thru Santa Rosa de Copan and thru Gracias, and a dirt mountain route thru La Esperanza (thru the state of Intibuca)....the main road was under construction so we found a different route.....a bit much for a heavy GS 2 up IMO...but a good ride....on March 27, 2007

Also note...this track goes from El Florido Guatemala/Honduras border crossing point....

[​IMG]
  3. freeflow

Oddometer:
    here is another route from Copan north to a agua caliente site......we were told this road continues north to an unofficial border crossing into Guatemala
  4. the_couch

the_couch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like some good riding. Are you coming south to Nicaragua at all? I´ll be here for another six weeks at least, riding an ´01 KTM Duke II.
  5. freeflow

Oddometer:

back in the states now...we were on some R&R...flew down to bay islands...then a buddy there asked me to exercise his GS fpr him....:lol3 :loco

central america on a duke II :thumb :thumb ...ride safe
  6. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Those are great! Thanks for sharing! It's so hard to get a detailed map of those countries that tracks are the best way to go.
  7. RickMcD

RickMcD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know this is going to make me look stupid -- BUT -- what do I have to do to get these to open in Mapsource. I have other gpx files that open (although I saved them from mapsource originally). Mapsource gives me a message that it is not a mapsource file. Yes, Mapsource is up to date. I would appreciate any help/advise you can give me.
  8. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Use 'gps bable' to convert the .gpx files into .gdb files - mapsource will then read them.
    You should find a link on http://www.maps-gps-info.com/fgpfw.html otherwise google it
    ----------------------------------

FREEFLOW would it be permissable to include these in smellybikers 'wanderlust' world map ? He can convert them into roads and then all the subscribers will have them. That way they are in the maps and you have more room left for tracks, routes .. think he is even going to include autorouting in teh next version ..
  9. RickMcD

RickMcD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank You Frank. I was looking at that today. I did discover that they would open in Mapsource if I "opened" them in IE vice downloading them. I then just saved it as gdb from mapsource. Unusal but .... :D
  10. freeflow

Oddometer:
    sorry for the late reply here......yeah sure no problem...use them at will......they seem to be pretty clean of personal secrets..LOL
  11. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks Freeflow. I was plannign to cross Guatemala/Hon near Copan then head to La Ceiba. You read my mind... or something. Thanks! :thumb
  12. kevinr1247

kevinr1247 oregonRider

Oddometer:
    I tried to download this track and it doesn't seem to be there. Does anyone have this track they could email me or post?
  13. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    I may have them on my other computer. PM me this time next week and I'll remember to send them if I have em. :thumb
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  14. kevinr1247

kevinr1247 oregonRider

Oddometer:
    I will! Muchas Gracias! Looking specifically for La Ceiba to Copan, others from the area if you have them as well. Leaving on December 13th. Any advice would be welcome...hotels, security, must sees, etc...
  15. freeflow

Oddometer:
    missed this. I have the original tracks and some others along that route.

a PM would have got them to you in time. hopefully you check in. have a safe trip!
  16. OleRed

OleRed n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you by chance still have those gpx files for the Honduras track? Traveling through Central America here soon and would love to check it out!
  17. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne I got my wings back. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The roads here in Honduras have improved quite a bit since 2007. You can take the main road from Copan up to SPS without issue or head northeast from Copan to La Laguna and then southeast towards Gracias and on to Marcala/La Paz/ Tegucigalpa. The yellow lines on Google Maps.