1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Honoring (Buddy) 4 Play

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by BIG-E, Mar 9, 2020.

1. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    As hard as it's been to accept the fact that we lost one of the best Friends a person could have, let's turn this thread into a Celebration of BUDDY!!

This is one if not the last pictures of Buddy taken by @HoosierTrailmaster a week ago Saturday when we rode the Charlu Gap. It was a great day! @refokus swammped his bike, @cookiemonsterMoA was showing off his outstanding riding skills, @Slowred was tearing up the trail on his new Husky. Just a great ride.

We had a great luch in Oricale, then Brad and I decided to ride the hiway back to the trucks. The rest headed back down the Gap. 5 miles before the end Buddy had a major heat attack and passed away.

I miss him so much! He was like a Brother to me! I thought this might help everyone else who maybe doesn't know or would like more information.

His Memorial in Texas is Saturday the 21st. and his Wife will have a service for his friends here sometime after that. Let's use this thread to share info and stories (Buddy was a master story teller) and pictures.

I am Proud and Honored to have called @4play Buddy my Friend! Rest in Peace Brother!!

[​IMG]
  2. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems only yesterday Buddy called me from PX & said He was thinking of buying a WR250R. As I had just bought one he wondered if He could come up & try mine? I said come on up. He took it for a short ride & came back, went home & bought one. Not long ago He said I should have kept that bike. Great memories of this guy but sadly they are now memories!
    Slowred, Sledred and BIG-E like this.
  3. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    Yeah, i still cant believe he's gone. This just seemed to come out of the blue with no warning.

Life is precious and too short, make everyday count.
    refokus, Slowred, AZ Mark and 4 others like this.
  4. azredline

azredline Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good idea E. I'll see if I can find some pics and post em up!
  5. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    001.JPG
    Ed Ellis Broncodriver gone.
    DSCN1637.JPG
    DSCN1641.JPG
    DSCN1644.JPG
    Sledred, DR650SEDDY and BIG-E like this.
  6. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    A lot of us went on a lot of great rides with 4play/Buddy. I've been going through my archive of pictures to re-live some of those since hearing the news.

I'm not sure this is the first ride I met Buddy on, but it's still one of the more memorable. He managed to wrestle that BRP down the Bradshaw Trail! This was November of 2009!
    2009-11-09-BradshawTrail.JPG

Here's one from January of 2011. I think this was the first Phoenix meets Tucson ride and this is starting out on Charoleau Gap.
    2011-01-15-CG_16.JPG

This is from March of 2013 when we were looking for alternate routes to the Coke Ovens. He liked that Coke Ovens ride, but I don't think he appreciated this section.
    2013-03-23-CokeOvens_13.JPG

I was surprised he didn't rip my head off for this one. This is in Moab in April 2013. He came around the corner and wanted to know which way everyone else went. I motioned toward this hill and before I could wave him off he was on the gas and headed up! He knew when he got to the step that something wasn't right. I'm glad he came down because I wasn't looking forward to chasing him up there!
    2013-05-02-Moab_03_046.JPG

In March, 2014 Buddy, Slowred, Reidy008 and I tried to ride Rug Road. I was having a tough time on a new bike and wanted to turn around early. I recall Buddy was having some issues with his WR and didn't want me to ride alone so he bailed with me. We searched around for the Sibley Mansion ruins and found some other toys to play on.
    2014-03-30-Rug-Road-Sibley.JPG

In May of 2014 Buddy got that little WR down the Yankee Doodle Trail with Slowred and me. I think he even enjoyed it! 2014-05-24-Yankee.JPG

January of 2016 we intended to ride to Harquahala Peak. I had an electrical problem on the SE so we had to diagnose and fix that on Castle Hot Springs Rd. We didn't make it to Harquahala Peak, but it was still a good ride. I think he had almost as much fun diagnosing the bike as he did doing the ride!
    2016-01-24-Castle-Hot-Springs.JPG

This one is from March of 2016 at the natural arch on one of his Morristown loops. He had a lot of good loops out in that Wickenburg area and he seemed to get out there often.
    2016-03-13-Morristown-Loop.JPG

I'll miss him.
    Misery Goat, Slowred, AZ Mark and 9 others like this.
  7. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    I think that first one is the day the Havalina took Him out? The Moab looks like Kanecreek trail' I went over in same spot in 2011
    DSCN2088.JPG
    pfdskipper, Sledred and BIG-E like this.
  8. azredline

Oddometer:
    How bout this famous "Buddy Bike"? He stuffed a Ninja 550(?) twin into this thing and it ripped!
    Had the misfortune of being too close behind when that thing hit the power band one time and got a snoot full of dirt, small rocks and various reptile and animal parts!

I recall looking closely at this beast and admiring the attention to detail and craftsmanship that went into the transformation. Impressive.

Table Mesa Road 072113 004.jpg
    Foiler, ned37, Sledred and 6 others like this.
  9. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a few years back on a ride to remember Don (SeaBee1). dons ride.jpg
    Buddy definitely had that "take the bull by the horns" mentality. Whether it be organizing a ride, helping fix someones bike, or even driving a 100 plus miles on a Sunday night to rescue a couple of near hopeless, and severely "up-shit-creek" riders, well that was Buddy. I'm glad I was able to ride with him the weekend before his passing. We did one of his favorite Wickenburg loops, taking in a rest at the Arch and laughing about old adventures. Buddy really seemed to be in a good place. It's still hard to wrap my mind around that he is gone. I hope his family is able to find some comfort knowing that Buddy passed doing what he loved. And we all know Don is surely getting a full run down of the Az happenings!
    Misery Goat, Foiler, Sledred and 6 others like this.
  10. azredline

Oddometer:
    PFDSkipper may recall this one...
    I like this one cause Don is laughing and Buddy has that "What in the hell are you doing?" look on his face. (PFD washing his bike in the Gila River, March 17, 2012)
    Coke Ovens 031712 044.jpg

Here the boys release the fish from inside the engine. That is Brad and Roger on the left providing moral support! Don't recall the gentleman on the right's name. That was a fun ride!

Coke Ovens 031712 049.jpg
    Misery Goat, Foiler, refokus and 5 others like this.
  11. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    He got a good chuckle about that and regularly reminded me of the event whenever he saw me. :fishie
    refokus, azredline and Slowred like this.
  12. KingKroupa

KingKroupa WX Dude

Oddometer:
    For those of you who I haven't met I'm one of Buddy's sons. He would want me to let y'all know that he truly loved the time he spent on and off the trails with all of you. Part of what has made this easier is realizing how much he meant to so many people. Growing up I always thought he was larger than life, it's nice to know I'm not alone in thinking that.

Here's a pick of him and me in the early 90's with my first bike.
    20200304_205807.jpg

Attached Files:

13. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will never forget him coming around the corner at 9pm on a Sunday night, and he killed his bike and I said, Hi-ya Buddy, got any water?? He would laugh about that... @Yardstick was in communication with me, and he texed, you should be able to hear them, I said, I can see a headlight! I was sure happy to see Buddy and @Reidy008 and @KTMSER and Bob!!

Just One More Time!!!
  14. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've only got two...
    Pork fest 2011. Dirt nap next to the tent.
    PF 017.jpg

Same year... somewhere out behind Wickenburg.
    downsized_1125111112.jpg
  15. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    I did a little digging around because I remember that incident but wasn't on the ride. It was a few months after the ride down the Bradshaw. Here's the thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/may-8th-poland-junction-bodie-ck-back.573508/page-10

That other picture was from the Kane Creek Road/Trail. That hill is at the 'Y' toward the south end of Kane Creek Road and we took the Kane Creek Canyon Trail out.

I remember it! This is from 7-Springs Rd. on our way to Jerome.
    2013-08-03-Jerome_03.JPG
    Foiler, BIG-E and AZ TOM like this.
  16. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    I seem to have lost all my pictures from the Havalina ride. A friend of Ed Ellis named Tony was along on a 2008 CRF230L & Buddy was able to ride out with broken leg on Tony's bike. One tough guy!!
    BIG-E and refokus like this.
  17. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Rare
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BIG-E likes this.
  18. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    NSFW, Foiler and BIG-E like this.
  19. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    NSFW and BIG-E like this.
  20. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    NSFW, Foiler, Sledred and 1 other person like this.