Hoon on the loose ..... Jacqueline heads to Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jacqueline L., Apr 19, 2007.

1. jimblack

jimblack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Jacqueline,
    What fantastic pics and ride report. This is Jimblack from Anchorage AK. We met while you were up here................probably in Girdwood with Mark. I was riding the 1200GSA and also went to Dawson and saw you there.
    I am leaving this week for a ride to Phoenix and am considering some different routes. What route or hwy's did you take to get you to Glacier park? I would love to see that country.....................
    Leaving on Friday am.

Jimblack
  2. stevebtx12

stevebtx12 Avid rider

Oddometer:
    Totally awesome pics Jacqueline, thx for posting those!
  3. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Awesome! :D

It's great seeing the two of you there together in the same pics.

I think you're both so wonderful. You've contributed so much here and everywhere else you've been.

Thank you for everything.

Take care. Mark H.
  4. Jacqueline L.

Jacqueline L. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gwen,
    THANK YOU! I am SO GLAD to have met you :wings and I look forward to the day we can take a "little ride :wink: " together.
    Heal quickly:thumb ,
    Jacqueline
  5. Jacqueline L.

Oddometer:
    Going through Montana we stopped and visited with Ernie and Edee.

[​IMG]

Several months back while on a trip on his LT, Ernie had a problem with the back tire and Richard had come to his rescue.

They have a small farm where Edee enjoys her passion…. Horses.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A wonderful couple that has it figured out and are living the life in Montana!

Views of Montana……on the way to Yellowstone National Park……..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wheat fields that have been harvested.

[​IMG]

Beartooth Highway..... what a road [​IMG]....can you say switchbacks! [​IMG]
    "The first 15 miles out of Red Lodge takes you from the canyon floor and climbs almost 4,000 feet in elevation, taking you past Precambrian rock slides and red and yellow rock outcroppings. Expect hairpin curves, U-curves, and sinuous S-curves in the road as you climb to the canyon rim past forests, rugged cliffs, pristine lakes, mountain peaks, and alpine tundra. At 45 miles in length, you cross the highest point in the Beartooth Highway at 10,974. Here, you leave Montana and enter Wyoming. The descent takes you along switchbacks which meander through rolling hills saturated with lakes, forests, and wildlife." BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

[​IMG]

This mountain really had my attention...and I got to enjoy it from many sides and elevations as we worked our way up and over the pass! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Jacqueline L.

Oddometer:
    Yellowstone National Park…….

[​IMG]

home to Buffalo (Bison)…. By 1902 only 23 (animals not herds) were counted in Yellowstone, the only remaining wild herd left in the US; I find that scary and very sad. As a result of the near extinction of the Wild Buffalo, Congress enacted a law in 1894 that prohibited hunting in national parks.

[​IMG]
    I found this sign odd……. “Molesting of animals” [​IMG].

It did not take long to see some of the many park residences…… [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They seemed to be everywhere……
    [​IMG]

If they weren’t somewhere, there was proof that they had been earlier….. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As everyone knows Yellowstone is famous for its geysers and hot springs. The smell of sulphur is heavy in the air in areas of the Park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] that water is boiling [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We played dodge ball with a storm ……. Which gave me some beautiful shots!!!!!

[​IMG]
  7. Jacqueline L.

Oddometer:
    A few more pictures on the way out of the Park......

[​IMG]
    See the double rainbow? [​IMG] From the storm we were dodging…..

[​IMG]
    Hummmmmmmmm Equator!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I found that one of the rainbows needed to be held up….. they’re not as heavy as they look. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If you look close this mountain side is covered with Pronghorns.

I completely enjoyed my visit to Yellowstone…,
    but time is running short….. need to make it across country and to the UN Rally… [​IMG].
  8. RicH2

RicH2 Ric H2

Oddometer:
    Ohhh Jacqueline....you're not fooling me...everyone knows rainbows are held up at both ends by a pot of gold ....:rofl
  9. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    J,

Thanks for sharing your ride with all of us. My wife and I were just up in Glacier at the end of August, and it was great. Hope that you made it up the "Many Glacier Lodge" on the north east side of Glacier. Just amazing!

We have ridden many of the places that you have been and it is fun to re-live!!! Thanks for taking the time and effort to post your trip

Ride safe,

mark
  10. West Coast Mags

West Coast Mags Parlor Snake

Oddometer:
    Still enjoying this ride report very much. I definately need to make it to Yellostone.
  11. Jacqueline L.

Oddometer:
    Time to pick up the pace and get accross the country to attend the UN Rally.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to take the time and stop at Wall Drug [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was no stopping Richard once he saw the Jackalope [​IMG].
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awe...the mid-west, the heartland!!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really enjoyed riding through this part of the country... especially this time of the year. It brought back fond memories of my childhood in Upstate NY.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't spend much time in a couple of these States, but I could ride in them and mark them off "my list" [​IMG].
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not often that you find a play area at a Rest Stop on an Interstate [​IMG]. So we HAD to enjoy it for a few minutes [​IMG] .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the time I got to Ohio, I thought I was going to suffer heat stroke. I couldn't stop the bike fast enough to lay down on a shaddy sidewalk [​IMG]. Richard had to go find some water to pour on me and in me as a few concerned individuals walked by.... It wasn't this HOT in Alaska [​IMG]....(I miss Alaska, I miss the crisp fresh air.........and I'm not even back in Florida yet [​IMG]...I hear it's hot there [​IMG]).....
  12. G.Gordon

G.Gordon Nation of Frustration

Oddometer:
    Unless you see a redish or green liquid I doubt it is antifreeze. Most cooling systems have overflow bottles that catch the liquid as it expands and is sucked back in the radiator when it cools.

What they are probably licking is water condensation from the air conditioner coils. We have a puddle under our car/truck every day when we come home on a hot day. It is clean water and will not do harm.
  13. jettech01

jettech01 Why be cleaning when you should be leaning.

Oddometer:
    Jacquline;
    At least it is going to cool down sometime soon.......:clap
    I hope you were able to cool down and enjoy the rest of your ride.
    All the best from Texas.
  14. Jacqueline L.

Oddometer:
    We finally arrived in Fayetteville, WV for the UN Rally!!!!!! What an awesome place. The first place I had to see was the New River Gorge [​IMG]....
    [​IMG]

and “the Bridge”…… the worlds longest steel arch bridge…. A work of art!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Gorge held beauty huge to small….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and some challenging roads (especially for the buses [​IMG] taking the rafters to and from the river)
    [​IMG]

A smaller bridge at the bottom of the Gorge….
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This bridge was named for Tunney M. Hunsaker, to honor his accomplishments in law enforcement and boxing. The part-time pugilist who lost to Muhammad Ali in the boxing greatest first professional fight, Tunney M. Hunsaker also served for three-decades as Fayetteville; W. Va.'s police chief.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Jacqueline L.

Oddometer:
    That evening after Jamie “herded the cats” for a group picture…..

[​IMG]
    (Disclaimer; I borrowed this picture….. this is not my picture)

It was off to find the food…….
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lets_Play_Two and Penelope_Pitstop….the happy couple on their Honeymoon.

The next morning out looking for a place to have breakfast……realizing again I’m now in West Virginia, how can one not stop at Biscuit World? [​IMG]

I was pleased to find I could get eggs and pancakes also.

Then it was down the road for more views of the area…….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and roads that seem to disappear……
    [​IMG]

Dinner that night was wonderful…..
    Great food, great company, beautiful views…….
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Killer eating cheese with EVERY course!
    [​IMG]

Signs of Fall were starting to appear……
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That evening the BMWST.com GeoCache was handed off to me!!! I have wanted to get my hands on it!!! Just wish I had it at the start of my adventure….. But this may be cause for another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After dinner it was back to the cabin for more story telling……

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more drinking…..

[​IMG]

flexing of muscle……
    [​IMG]

and just plain horse play……
    [​IMG]

What a great time!!!! What great people!!!!
  16. Jacqueline L.

Oddometer:
    The weather was beautiful, as was the area, so when the UN Rally came to an end…… I stayed for another day (as did Richard).

First it was back to Biscuit World…

[​IMG]

Where Richard seem to have met his match….. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lillian Faye….. What a sweetheart. I made her nervous when I brought my camera out….

[​IMG]

Then it was down the road…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, the road seems to be disappearing… [​IMG].

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and it was for a GT [​IMG].

[​IMG]

A man came by on a four wheeler and invited Richard to follow along….. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    but Richard knowing he was on a GT and not a GS decided to turn around…..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

West Virginia…..Wild and Wonderful…….
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was my first UN Rally [​IMG], and it couldn't have been better [​IMG]. It was also my first time (won't be my last) in West Virginia on a bike [​IMG].

On to Virginia.......
  17. Jacqueline L.

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

Virginia….. All that history, all those vineyards, great roads, beautiful landscapes.
    I was off to Charlottesville to see my son and Liz (an absolute amazing and beautiful young woman)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and to congratulate them. [​IMG] In August they became engaged [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (which I am absolutely delighted over) and they are planning an August 2008 wedding.

I went along with the happy couple as they took another look at the Church on the University (The University of Virginia where Liz is a Grad Student) grounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After which we stopped at Ash Lawn-Highland the home of James Monroe.
    A possible location for their Wedding Reception……
    [image]http://www.ashlawnhighland.org/virtualtour.htm[/image]

I could not stop in Virginia without stopping at least one of the many Wineries….and I had a designated driver…. [​IMG].

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I think the two of them were out to get me drunk…. [​IMG] it was the two of them sharing one tasting to my one on one. I was having trouble keeping up with them…… [​IMG]

We then sat outside on the porch and enjoyed the day, the wine, the food, and each others company……

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this little Humming Bird……

[​IMG]
    (the little bird was so fast I could not get a clear picture)
  18. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    Garcia's in Eagle River!
  19. Jacqueline L.

Oddometer:
    Charlottesville has a wonderful Downtown Mall filled with restaurants, stores, people, and culture….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and we stopped at their favorite (and mine) Pizza Place. They have anything you could want on a pizza, ready and waiting. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Tuesday, I rode to Lynchburg to Hammersley Motors for my scheduled appointment. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was finally able to get the broken frame bolt replaced [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]. I also had a broken Motolight replaced [​IMG]. The bike needs to have several other parts replaced (like the gear shifter… it’s been bent a couple of times and has just about worn a hole in my boot [​IMG]) as well as another leaky fork seal; which I will do / have done once I’m able to completely go over the bike…… did I tell you the bike has been great and that I have THROUGHLY enjoyed it? [​IMG] If I recall Rich D. did offer me $500.00 for it when I got back [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG].

The people at Hammersley were great. [​IMG]
    While at Hammersley I spoke with this rider (on the left) out of Canada.

[​IMG]

He had been stranded in Lynchburg since the Friday before because his clutch went out in his LT. The other riders he was with had to go on without him, as they had time constraints. One thing we talked about was the cost of an LT in Canada verses the cost in the US [​IMG]. If you think you paid a lot for your bike, just price one in Canada and you’ll feel you got it at a real bargain. It seems their gas is not the only thing that is high priced [​IMG].
  20. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking $500 for a ride would be reasonable.

Quite true - our dollar's soon going to be worth more than that southern monopoly money. :lol3