Hoon on the loose ..... Jacqueline heads to Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jacqueline L., Apr 19, 2007.

1. Jacqueline L.

Jacqueline L. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could not pass through Virginia without stopping in Culpeper to meet Gwen;

[​IMG]

Gwen is a remarkable person [​IMG]. I learned about Gwen back in March while planning my trip. I had made my plans known on Adventure Rider for my up coming trip to Alaska. Someone on Adventure Rider told me I needed to read Shoganai’s (aka Gwen) ride tale [​IMG].

While on my adventure I did not have much, if any time to read much on Adventure Rider. So when I called Gwen to say I was in the state and wanted to stop by and meet her, I was shocked to learn she had (on 8/31, less then two weeks before) been involved in a crash in Tucson, AZ [​IMG].

She and I had a nice visit that morning. I am so glad to have met her, and I was surprised to see that she is not much taller than I. What a woman! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Wishing you a speedy recovery Gwen.

After my visit with Gwen I was off to Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park…. Tom I got the stamp!

[​IMG]

What a perfect day for a ride. The sun was out and the temperature couldn't have been better! Traffic was light.
    [​IMG]

I never get tired of these tunnels. They are magnificent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I am in awe of scenery like these. Natural, simple, soild (the rock), soft (the plants), parts changing almost daily (the plants), parts changing so slowly that one can barely notice (the rock)...

Views of the Appalachian Mountains....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Iron Mike.... now that's a hard body! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Not far from Iron Mike was this little bee with his pollen sacks full. I could sit for hours and watch these wonderful insects work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This butterfly caught my eye and I had to stop and take its picture…

[​IMG]

I was in heaven as I stepped down into a field of flowers and butterflies.

[​IMG]

It wasn’t until the next day that I learned this butterfly is a Tiger Swallowtail; Virginia’s State insect. Butterflies were originally known by the name “Flutterby” which describes how they fly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a great day and I tried to soak it all in and savor it. My adventure would soon come to an end and the real world would find it's way back in..... it was already nipping at my heels.
  2. Jacqueline L.

Oddometer:
    My last morning in Charlottesville; I had already said my good-byes to Ron and Liz and they had gone off to work. That morning as I loaded my bike I looked over and saw I had an audience [​IMG]. Buddy (the golden retriever) and Smudge (the cat) had let themselves out [​IMG] of house and were sitting on the front step watching me. I just thought the two of them were beautiful sitting there. Animals are wonderful.

[​IMG]

When I arrived, Buddy had not be feeling well and Liz had him on some medication the Vet had prescribe. After I left Virginia, Buddy became worst and there were several more trips to Vets, which revealed cancer [​IMG] [​IMG]. Buddy passed away on Sept. 24. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] My sympathy goes out to both of them. Especially Liz as I know she is hurting deeply now, Buddy had been Liz’s faithful companion for many years. And I know Buddy had a special place in Ron’s heart also.
  3. Jacqueline L.

Oddometer:
    I left Virginia and headed to Myrtle Beach, SC,

[​IMG]

where I visited with family. I could not go to Myrtle Beach without a visit to the beach. [​IMG]
    The water and the sky were both a little rough but it seemed so fitting that evening.
    It was truly beautiful

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I walked on the beach so many emotions and feelings stirred inside of me,
    my three young nephews dug in the sand,

[​IMG]

my brother and sister-in-law looked for sharks teeth and other treasures on the beach,

[​IMG]

and I enjoyed memories of my Mother. It has now been seventeen years since she passed away and I had gone out on a catamaran with a couple of my brothers and sisters from this beach to place her ashes in the Atlantic Ocean. This was the place that gave her inter-peace.

After spending a few days in Myrtle Beach it was off to Georgia…. And the Florida boarder…..

[​IMG]
    Cotton Field

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pecan Grove

I rode from Thomasville, GA and I crossed back over into Florida in Tallahassee, the State Capital.

[​IMG]

Tallahassee is a beautiful part of Florida, with its many canopy roads and history. America’s largest concentration of original plantations; 300,000 acres, 71 plantations, exists between Tallahassee and Thomasville, Georgia.

Once in Tallahassee I was greeted my Motorman587 (John P.) and some of Tallahassee’s fine men and women of law enforcement. NO TICKET this time!!!! What a wonderful welcome back …..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you John… [​IMG].

After a short visit with Dusty...Owner of Miller BMW, I headed south/east towards DeLand........... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. jettech01

jettech01 Why be cleaning when you should be leaning.

Oddometer:
    Jacqueline;
    I guess this might be premature but welcome home, or maybe "how was your "ride"-ride"
    Do you feel yourself "wanting" to get back on the road?
    I know I would if I were in your shoes.
  5. Bobby95

Bobby95 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jacqueline, Welcome home. This has been the greatest report of the year. Can't wait to talk to you and ask some advise questions. Sorry about Buddy. I lost my bust friend (who was my ears) the same way. Again welcome home. If there's more bring it on. Ride safe. Bobby95
  6. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    What's the final count, 25,000 miles? 30,000 miles? Hope you had a great trip.
  7. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loved the ride, loved the pics. Thanks for all the time and work you put into this. :thumb
  8. Fredfredburger

Fredfredburger CTRL ALT DEL

Oddometer:
    Wow, welcome home! It has been great following your outstanding ride.
    Great shot of all the RT-Ps welcoming you to Florida (without the performance award).

:clap

:freaky

Cheers
    FFB
  9. iloco

iloco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sure hate to see this trip end. I have enjoyed every minute of it. :) One my favorite trips to follow.
    Awesome work with the camera. :)
  10. Adventure Geezer

Adventure Geezer Senile 99%er

Oddometer:
    Hoon,

I first picked up on your trip when you were in CA on the way out. I have enjoyed the entire report.

AG
  11. Jacqueline L.

Oddometer:
    Thank you... all

I will do a re-cap, put my thoughts down and share them. I will admit that the first few days home were ROUGH [​IMG]....
  12. infoatnmmoto

infoatnmmoto Vote early and vote often.

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the trip and thanks for the pics and report!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  13. DaveF-

DaveF- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Outstanding ride and report, Jacqueline.:clap Thanks for posting it.

I've been following it for some time now, anxiously awaiting each new post.

BTW, I thought I heard somewhere that hoon, or hoo'n, was a contraction of the word hooligan.
  14. brazos parker

brazos parker n00b

Oddometer:
    Jacqueline, welcome home and thank you for sharing the "ride of a lifetime." I've followed your trip since post #1. What a great adventure.

I'm sure you found what you were looking for...
  15. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    Hi Jacqueline,
    I still can't believe how lucky my timing was to meet you and enjoy spending that "rain day" at Eagle Plains. Hope we meet again on the road. Seems likely. There is a more than 50% chance that I'm going back to Alaska next year.:clap
  16. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for taking us along for the ride.

What kind of adjustments did you have to make when you got home compared to being on the road?
  17. Sly-on-2

Sly-on-2 Rockin' Winger

Oddometer:
    Previously, Camel City Carolina, now Denver
    Jacqueline,

Wow. Thanks so much for a great report. I just got home yesterday. Not home 24 hours after five months on the road, I understand your need to re-adjust. Your post certainly is helping me to do so. I just read it cover to cover!!!

Many of your pictures are of stuff that I missed so I downloaded them. You have great pictures of Fireweed! Girdwood is AMAZING! Did you make it up Crow Creek road? I met some people at Chair 5 and spent the night about five miles up Crow Creek.

While scrolling through your posts, I saw a picture of Aaron from Seattle (Janky). So Cool! We met in Whitehorse right before I made it to Alaska via the Top of the World. What a cool guy huh?

Thanks so much for sharing. You've inspired me to post some stuff about my trip on ADV, though it can't be as thourough as the job you've done.

Glad to hear that you're home safe and sound.

Sly
  18. pyrate

pyrate Walking the plank

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

is to keep your ground cloth tucked under the edges of your tent. Anything explosed can catch rain water and run under your tent which can soak anything in the tent. The bottom of your tent might be thick enough or all sealed seams but all it takes is once to make a really rotten night camping. I haven't had a chance to read the whole report so I aplogize if this was mentioned.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
  19. NakedRR

NakedRR n00b

Oddometer:
    Read your whole thread in one day. Really, really inspiring for women!! Makes me wanna get out and go!! Good for you. Congrats on a great trip. Loved the pics. Can't wait for the next one.

Still hard to believe you did it on an F650. I sold mine after doing a 2000 mile trip and feeling like every bone in my body hurt.

:clap :clap :clap :clap
  20. ABQTJ

ABQTJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing this great adventure with us! I read the entire thing tonight and loved every page of it!