1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Hoping for a favour in Regina

Discussion in 'Canada' started by cmattina, Jul 17, 2020.

1. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey!

Just curious if there are any inmates in Regina here?

I am planning a trip out west this August/September. My plan is to trailer two bikes to Regina, and then ride from there. Was hoping there might be someone with some space for me to park my truck (Ford Ranger) and trailer (4' x 10') for 10-12 days. Doesn't really even need to be in a driveway - street parking may do. Somewhere quiet would be best.
  2. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Keep trailering at least until Lethbridge, Ab. Having driven that stretch more times then I care to recall, you aren’t missing much (save for the Cypress Hills).
  3. cmattina

Oddometer:
    Yeah, cypress hills is our first point of interest.

I may perhaps push for moosejaw of swift current. But i am looking at making it just a one day drive, and Regina is already 12 hours.

Might be a consideration though...
  4. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Head south from Regina and there is lots to see by travelling around 13 highway till you get over to Eastend and then into the Cypress Hills.
    Cant believe how many people blast down #1 highway and complain about nothing to see rather than taking the time to travel off the beaten path and see what Sask really has to offer.
    GreatWhiteNorth, Cal and cmattina like this.
  5. cmattina

Oddometer:
    Yeah, i might stay down by weyburn or assiniboia
  6. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snobear....that’s exactly what I did my second trip across Canada. Got off the horrible transcan...and it completely changes crossing the prairies. Such a shame more folks don’t take that way. It was lovely.
    Cal likes this.
  7. vanbeekbrett

vanbeekbrett Adventurer

Oddometer:
    An idea here if you’re interested...I’m about 6 hours north of Regina in La Ronge, also riding out west, leaving August 23...if that lines up with your timeline you could park at my place and ride out west together.
    cmattina likes this.
  8. R100PDave

R100PDave Super Dave

Oddometer:
    I've got room for parking just west of Brandon (Kemnay) kind of short from Regina though, but you can cut south from here and into the Gap away from # 1 !
  9. cmattina

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the offer (both), but i don't think it will work out. almost though.
  10. cmattina

Oddometer:
    I actually love the rolling hills of Sask. The big sky, etc.

I am thinking of trailering to Assiniboia by getting on to the 13 just past Winnipeg. The the first day on the bikes, heading through cypress hills to elkwater or medicine hat.

Any opinion on that route?

I would typically camp in Cypress hills but there are both covid restrictions and we have to travel light as neither bike is set up for touring (two fully kitted DR650s are in a storage locker in the states).
  11. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once you hit Eastend try some backroads into Cypress hills and then take the gap road across to elk water. Head north out of Eastend and then cut across to cypress
    Should be some nice side trails to explore as well if you have the time
    cmattina likes this.
  12. cmattina

Oddometer:

Yep. That's the plan.

I'm pretty well set. I'm going to call some motels or hotels in assiniboia today to see if any will allow me to leave my truck there there
  13. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Just as a heads up, Alberta has been getting a decent amount of rain this summer and some of the back roads around the Cypress Hills can get very sketchy when wet (mud!). Also of note, Highway 501 across the bottom of Alberta can be heavily gravelled and they do blade it often so finding a nice rut to ride in can be hit or miss. It’s a nice route but can be a challenging section from Hwy 41 right up to Hwy 879.
    GreatWhiteNorth and cmattina like this.
  14. cmattina

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I will keep an eye on the amount of rain before we get there.

I did it a year or two ago, from Elkwater to Fort Walsh. I am on a dual sport and she has gavel tires on her bike... though nothing aggressive.
  15. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wheel Inn is pretty sketchy. Unless you like that sort of thing :lol3

Last time I was through there, the gas bar in town was out of gas in the morning when I was leaving. By the time I found a gas station in Lafleche, the gas gauge said I should've run out 10 km earlier. I'd used my 2-liter spare can the day before.
    gpfan and cmattina like this.
  16. cmattina

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up... I could maybe consider the limerick inn?

Is either town as a whole less sketchy than the other?
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    One persons "Sketchy" is an others Shangri La Just stop and look and make up your own mind.
    James11 likes this.
  18. cmattina

Oddometer:
    mostly worried about leaving my truck and trailer in a town that has frequent break ins. Glass is expensive!
    gpfan likes this.
  19. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Broken glass in rural southern Saskatchewan is generally not a thing, you'll be fine.
    knight and Cal like this.
  20. cmattina

Oddometer:
    I 100% assumed that. But did a quick google and found this article from a couple weeks ago

https://www.assiniboiatimes.ca/news...bout-an-escalation-in-local-crimes-1.24157883

Trust me, i usually don't even take the keys out of my bike or truck in rural areas, so I am not paranoid. But, when you've had a motorcycle stolen after parking it for a couple hours in someone's driveway you change your way of thinking somewhat.