Horns, honkers, beepers, hooters

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by davorallyfan, May 2, 2006.

1. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    Last weekend I hit another wallaby while riding through the National Park this one nearly knocked my off my bike (DR650). Mr Wallaby suprised me, bent my gear lever and left some fur in my gearlever pivot spring.
    [​IMG]

I think if I had a horn that worked and was loud I may have been able to avoid contact with the errant marsuipial (maybe)/ cow /sheep/ crow/ galah/eagle

The DR has a cheap crappy horn - mine no longer works. Ive done a search for horns and all I seem to find are the big things. Such as this

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=475 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="80%">
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=left colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle rowSpan=5>[​IMG]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>[SIZE=-1]
    Price:$20.00

[/SIZE]

</TD></TR><FORM name=FORM action=http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? method=post><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=left></TD></TR></FORM><TR><TD vAlign=center align=left colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=left colSpan=2>[SIZE=-1]Another loud one and a direct replacement for many applications. Does not need a relay and comes with a mounting bracket.

Rated at 139 db four inches away from the source which is the same as the Nautilus Dual Air horn.

This is the single high tone model, NOT DUAL TONE![/SIZE]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
    The Question
    Is there such thing as a relaively flat (like stock) horn that doesn't need a relay that can replace the oem one and is reliable and louder than the stock one? - just reliable would be good!

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- Begin Global Footer WPCOMP RF --><!-- close idBody --><!-- End of Page Content --><!-- Start of Miva Footer -->
  2. Motoplaner

Motoplaner PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer:
  3. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    The FIAMMs and other brands that have the conch-style wave guide seem to be best. The higher the decibel number, the louder. A single horn should be a direct replacement to your OEM; two horns (high/low tone) will need a separate relay. Even on autos (particularly Asian brands) many owners replace their flat-plate style horns with the above horns. However, if you have access to an auto breaker (parts recycler), look for a good/used Mercedes, BMW, or VW horn as these auto brands tended to use the wave guide horns as OEM.
  4. Spanish Bob

Spanish Bob I dont know where I am.

Oddometer:
    many seem to use the Stiebel horns, they are certainly loud, they are the snail shape as well hough.
  5. twotyred

twotyred Practising Recedivist

Oddometer:
    Davo, go to your local good auto parts store (Repco, Autobarn etc) and have a good look around the horn section. You should be able to find something that would make a good replacement. Check out the Hella catalogue - they will have something to suit.

I've had a roo bounce off the side of my R1100S ( going slow at the time) horn made no difference. Having a working horn is a good thing. The louder the better.
  6. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Hella ones (the flat kind without the plastic horn thing) are loud but they're quite big and heavy.

Some of your auto parts stores should have the simple flat type Roots horns from India. They're loud - much louder than the OEM crap, and they're well-made and cheap. What you want is the Roots90 or Smartone here:
    http://www.rootsworldwide.com/html/products_ril.html
    You could find the Australian distributor there and find out from them what auto parts chains they supply.

You don't need the plastic horn shit to get loud.
  8. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys - much appreciated[​IMG]
  9. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    New horn fitted from cheap auto parts, smaller, lighter, louder and cheaper! - AUD $4.99
    [​IMG]
  10. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap
    ya, you don't need heavier and bigger.

It makes you wonder why all the OEM ones are so feeble.
  11. tajikcruiser

tajikcruiser n00b

Oddometer:
    I've got a PIAA sports horn mounted on right between gas tank and plastic panel using existing middle mounting nut for plastic panel (with slightly longer philips screw head bolt). It is very loud - rated 115 db 500 hhz. It's not small, weights half a pound, but sure mounted up there nicely and is VERY loud!