hot for the Ohlins on the AT? Read on...

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by Greg the pole, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    morning,
    I figured I'd give a 10k km update on my Ohlins forks.

Bought on ebay, as there was no stock locally, or in the US.
    Got fed up with the flex, and the 2018 eventual coating wear.
    Richard follow suit shortly there after.

Forks are stiff, no flex to speak of.
    Valving..tasty. Springs that came with were 7.2 if memory serves. For me, perfect.

1st problem:
    The fork clunks on full extension. Hopping off curbs, wheelies, putting the bike on the center stand.
    Root of problem? Ohlins built half the fork, then went for lunch, and forgot to build a top out spring for it. The janitor found it by fluke and installed a rubber stopper in the springs place. Fail.
    tampon.jpg
    Richard noticed the same on his Ohlins, and went to work, sorting out a solution.
    He fabbed up a spring holder, and after much re-search, and test rides, found the right spring that will not eat up too much travel. We lost about half an inch. see thumbs. oh and I lost $300 to fix it. Cheap considering the R and D that went into it.
    Resized_20190530_222118.jpeg Resized_20190530_225432.jpeg Resized_20190530_225508.jpeg spring trial fit on rod.jpg spring trial fit.jpg springs.jpg

2nd problem: Lack of bleeder screw. Richard blew out both his fork seals recently on a very spirited off road ride. Granted, it's asking a lot of the fork when a 230lb dude is beating on it. Again, he went to town, drilled and tapped, and installed bleeder screws. I will do this this winter...another $100 gone.

3rd problem: Coating wear. Yep...you read that right. I have not checked my forks ,but Richards ohlins have the exact same wear as the OEM forks, same spot. My oil was quite dirty last time, so I will likely face the same issue. Fix?? fuck it and ride it. what else can you do?
    Ohlins wear.jpeg

To sum up...would I buy them again? Nope.
    Expectations were huge, due to the price.
    The design is flawed, and the coating wearing off (i'll strip my forks at the end of season and report back)...ya.

After talking to a smarter dude than me, I decided to just go with it. He told me that all coating will eventually wear, even the ATAS. Don't mean to be a hater..just saying.
    I don't see any viable and financially sound choices just this minute. All good!

So if you got $4k CDN, or $3K US burning a hole in your shorts...give it some thought 1st.

UPDATE:

16 K KM of use.
    Oil less then 5 or 6K.

Wear is in the usual spot. Lower triple. Lowers are torqued to 18 Nm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Dont buy suspension off ebay I say,

had a few pals with similar nightmares, in one guise or another,

If it's good kit, whys it on ebay, mmm...I wonder..

Buy the right gear from a good source, or price in the expected full rebuild/service respring
  3. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

For what it's worth I'm in the uk, and I've had new ohlins built at the factory specifically for me through a leading uk ohlins agent for a zx10 race bike

I was not all that, had major agro with it not being set up and sprung correct, nothing but agro with the sgent,

Ktech are a uk company that make ohlins look like amateur s ...in service and products
  4. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    It's ohlins sold by a large Italian manufacturer. It doesn't matter if I bought it local, or from a US supplier. It didn't come from China. Besides, local guys were all sold out. It would have been the exact same thing.
    The design is seriously lacking, and the coating issue persist.
    It be a tall order to build new forks from scratch for the AT. The market/demand is not there.
  5. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    had Öhl-leaks on my Beemer, back and front, very expensive and had the same janitor in the factory i presume, because the rear shock had a o-ring mounted in the wrong sequence. Gladly the Dutch HyperPro has at least same quality for 30% of the Öhl-leaks pricing......
  6. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, unexpected but I can’t say surprising...sorry your new suspenders ain’t all they’re expected to be, OP! Hell, not every piece of art is the Mona Lisa, right?
  7. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Woooow!

How many kilometers on Richard's Öhlins forks before signs of wearing??
  8. Sailor Jack

Sailor Jack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it's not his kit with the wear issues if i read this correctly
  9. BLZ2DWL

BLZ2DWL Roustabout Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know, this is sort of good news. It means I don't have to keep thinking about it. Every option is going to have the same issues.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  10. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    Similar to mine. 10-12k km.
  11. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming mine has the same issue. when the upgrades were done to my fork, my oil that was 7k km old was filthy, but neither one of us thought to have a look inside the tubes. Will know 100% this winter, when I strip and inspect them.
  12. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    yep. I'm just going to keep riding.
    BLZ2DWL and HerrDeacon like this.
  13. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    I've had excellent luck with:
    -Yacugar. had them on three bikes, one had 70k km before the head seal went. Got parts for $150, rebuilt, and good for another 70k km
    -Tractive shock has been perfect over the 21k

You expect great quality due to name and price...
  14. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    she's kinda ugly...:flush
  15. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So does this mean there is no real solution to fix it?

If you were in the market for a used adv bike, would you still consider a first or second year AT, or just go with something else?
  16. PistolPetey

PistolPetey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no problem recommending first or second year AT...for the right price, and there are ways to at least somewhat deal with the fork issues.

However, given the choice to get a 2018 with different coating on the forks, I would recommend that route (I think you don't have to deal with peg bracing if you get a 2018?). I'm on a 2017, with warrantied fork tubes, and 25,000 kms of abuse. Overall this bike has delivered what I expected it to deliver. A totally reliable ride, ample fun and smiles, and more than enough "adventure" for a whole bunch of reasons.

I plan on riding this machine into the ground.
    Gemel likes this.
  17. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since the suspension would have to be at the very least resprung/revalved (if not outright replaced), I figured I would get the cheapest, decently low mileage, 2016/17 AT I can find, and instead of spending more $$$ to get a new bike, put that money into the suspension, other mods, luggage etc... to keep overall cost down, but still end up with a great bike all modded up.

But...... if even the Ohlins is having issues, I am not so sure now.

I am not planning on buying until early next year, so we will see what happens.

There is always the KTM 1090R, but looking at AT used prices, you get a lot of bike for the money. I just wish the forks didn't have this issue.

PistolPetey and Gemel like this.
  18. Gemel

Gemel Still making mistakes.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer Greg!
    I'm probably going down the same rabbit hole with Oh forks on the front at some stage.
    Even if they do begin to wear at least they'll flex less untill they reach that point. Cheers!
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would.I am a member of the original evil 5(number 3 of 5 to be exact).4 others and me are the ones that discovered this issue.The 1st to discover this lives in Africa and is extremely harsh on the bike in crazy rocks.He rides shit that this bike was not designed to.I also beat the living hell out of this bike in places it should not have been.At 7200 miles my anoy was gone but tube was still in good shape.Honda replaced my tubes and the head shop mechanic joked about flying a double(I did actually quite a few times at my local moto track lol).Under normal adv use these forks are decent and will work for many miles.The anodizing will wear in any fork including kashima coating.For normal riding these forks work just fine.If you pound your bike hard offroad expect wear as that's what happens when you pound on them.I do a lot of suspension and build up a lot of bikes and this bike is no different than the rest.Use it as designed and it will take you till you sell it.
  20. Motociclo

Motociclo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

The Paranoid 5 will rise again!!!
    You can take our anodising, but you will never take our forks!!!!!

I found this bit of info on anodising.
    The nature of hard type ano, doesn't like bending.
    Right down bottom of page, 2nd last question.

https://www.decorativeimaging.com.au/protective-coatings/hard-anodising/