Hot Weather Riding Protection

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by fivex, Apr 15, 2019.

1. fivex

fivex n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

I'm planning an off-road trip. Duration is approximately one month. Riding will be nearly exclusively off-road. Mostly dry, dusty dirt, a lot of sand, a little mud, some dried lakes/river beds, a lot of ruts and some rocky terrain. It's the dry season, off-road in Madagascar, if you're curious :)

Daily max temp will be around 90f (32C). Overnight low will be around 65f (18C).
    Little if any rain for the majority of the trip (again, dry season), but daily tropical rain for about 15% of the trip (east coast).

To be clear, this is purely an overland adventure touring ride. The armor isn't going to be used for racing or stunting of any kind. Average speed, I'm figuring, will be around 25kph offroad, 80kph on road. I'd just like a layer of hard protection for when I inevitably spill.

I am currently leaning towards a mesh armored top, layers as needed, and then some knee protection (and boots), but I'm hoping some of you can weigh in on the topic. Currently, I'm thinking the Fox Racing Titan Jacket (see details here: https://www.foxracing.com/titan-spo...10050_size=S&cgid=#q=titan&lang=en_US&start=2 )

[​IMG]

Hoping some of you can provide more insight on this.

Thanks,

Adam
  2. fivex

fivex n00b

Oddometer:
  3. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seriously? I would wear MX boots, jeans and a heavy button down work shirt.
    Ectobass likes this.
  4. 10-96

10-96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMO, of the two, the Fox Racing option looks best to me. You could always get a bohn armor mesh shirt and/or mesh armor pants or the armored shorts - either can be worn under regular riding clothes....
  5. fivex

fivex n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm being serious. I'm not decided on what protection to use, so I figured I'd draw on others' experience.

I don't at all mean to be snarky, but is your advice based on past experience riding in developing nations, or mostly based on riding in the first world? I have not ridden in any, but I have spent a fair amount of time in developing nations.

Madagascar is the 6th poorest country on the planet. By comparison, Kosovo is 83rd poorest, Iran is 91st, and Mexico is 121st. My concerns stem from the fact that I will be:
    • On a 30-night, ~5000km trip
    • Alone
    • Without no communications, except possibly in larger towns.
    • Carrying finite food and water, in the dry season (with ability to treat water, if I can find any)
    • At times, possibly days away from reliable medical care
    • Encountering very, very few passersby, who will be almost exclusively on foot or with zebu
    • In a country with very little healthcare to begin with, which is right now further strained due to an outbreak of measles affecting ~120,000 patients.
    I'm not an ATGATT kind of guy, but having once been on the receiving end of a SMIDSY, I do like to be prepared... especially if I might end up in a precarious situation, as far from help as possible on this planet.

I figured a bit of protection may be the difference between walking away or not.

Why not stack the odds in my favour?
  6. fivex

fivex n00b

Oddometer:
    I was leaning that way too.

The back plate is removable, as well, which may help with comfort. I've also seen a few of the bottom sections removed for the same reasons.

Thanks for the input :)
  7. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    I have the Bohn stuff. I like it.
  8. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another entry would be the “Forcefield Pro”
  9. seaduck100

seaduck100 You just got smoked by an old guy on a cb500x

Oddometer:
    I'd go with the fox getup. I got that very same titan mesh arrangement and it should offer good protection and be as cool as you could hope for in that climate.

I'm in Thailand, and much of the time it is so stiflingly (is that a real word?) hot that i'll soak my top before I go anywhere. Otherwise, you can overheat and that can flat out kill you.

I am not certain what I am going to do for ankle/foot protection. Right now, I just have G.I. Jungle Boots. They are cool, but offer very little protection. I'm going to get some motocross type boots and just be hot I reckon.
    fivex likes this.
  10. Dixon87

Dixon87 n00b

Oddometer:
    Go the Fox Jacket. I have mates that used it before and the had nothing bad to say about it.
    fivex likes this.
  11. fivex

fivex n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ideas folks. I like the Bohn line--fairly subdued appearance.

My local distributor (Royal Distributing) doesn't seem to carry these--at least on their website.

I'm making a trip up out there this week to try a couple options on (one of them being the Fox Titan). If I don't like any of them, I can always order the Bohn or Forcefield online and see how I like them...it's just a hassle dealing with returns.

Thanks everyone!
  12. JT11

JT11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My buddies and I are ditching the Fox Titans this year, too bulky and chunky feeling, and are going with Alpinestars Sequence jackets instead. Much more comfortable, but is soft armor. If cost were no object, the Rukka RPS is awesome and the phase-change cooling material is legit astronaut space-fabric.
  13. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another piece of gear to throw in for consideration is the Leatt airfit setup... I use the "lite" and it is still good protection but has a little more flexibility without the rigid plastic. If you have the luxury of spare water, you can soak whatever base layer down and let evaporative cooling be your friend.
    I'm no ATGATT nazi either, but if I am ever riding that remote I'm going to want/need as much help as I can get to avoid serious injury. I certainly can't rely on talent to keep my body whole.
    msjesscat likes this.
  14. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you haven't considered it I'd take a Garmin inreach (if not medjet insurance @ $335 for 30 days). At least it would allow someone to advocate on your behalf with the Canadian Consulate.
    Keytone and fivex like this.
  15. fivex

fivex n00b

Oddometer:
    You're not kidding.

I went to try on some options last night and elected to not get the titan jacket.

Instead, I tried to find something closer to the Bohn or the forcefield stuff.

I ended up getting the Fox Base Frame:

[​IMG]

I'm glad I went in person to see the options and try them on. Also ended up choosing a helmet, the bell MX 9 MIPS, knee protectors (fox titan knee and shin), and some gloves (Thor spectrum):

[​IMG]

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.
  16. fivex

fivex n00b

Oddometer:
    I have considered bringing a Spot messenger for that reason exactly. I'll look into the Garmin too.

Thought about satellite phone too, but it's quite expensive.
    32dgrz likes this.
  17. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    What ever you get don't get black color, just going to absorb heat and make you even hotter
    theailer likes this.
  18. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I've owned this product for about 10 years (Komodo Armor Jacket) . Unfortunately they quit making them. Have used it in 90+F days with high humidity without any issues (worn without a shell over the top). It has spectacular performance in terms of saving my hide and bones during get-offs.

Not me in the photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seems a simple mechanical could put you in a deathly situation without sufficient water and/or source for replenishment. Also language barriers could hamper any assistance. Seems like a safer alternative would be to have a riding partner. Running lone wolf can present many more difficult challenges in those circumstances you are placing yourself.
  19. 75bronco

75bronco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Joe rocket makes a nice mesh type jacket with tons of pockets.
  20. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at the AdventureSpec Atacama jacket? I think they do a race (with neck brace) and a civilian version.

I have ridden a bit in heat and humidity, I would trade cooling for protection (up to a point). I can always slow down and take it a bit easier, cooling off can be more difficult. YMMV of course.