Hotels in Mexico and Central America

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Nata Harli, Feb 26, 2007.

1. CommanderDave

CommanderDave Kick Ass Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    You may have figured out this problem by now. I had the same problem with my Nexus. The solution for me was to stop using Firefox and go to Chrome browser. Good luck....dave
  2. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed and a great breakfast too.
  3. vicmitch

vicmitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Right now I'm in San Luis Potosi at the hostal Corazon de Xoconostle. Strange name but great place near center. Bike friendly and only $10 per night. Very nice town as well.
  4. vicmitch

vicmitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're in San Cristobal de las Casas and want a less boisterous hostel with indoor parking for just 80 pesos, check out the Marimba Hostel on Calle Obregon. I've been here 3 days. It's not on hostelworld yet. Run bu a couple who gave up the rat race in Mexico city for a simpler life. Can't recommend this place enough
  5. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Didn't know this thread even existed until today! This is great; wish I found it before! I have a few contributions to make.

Mexico- Chiapas- San Cristobal de las Casas- Not inexpensive ($75US/night), but this is the nicest place I have ever stayed anywhere! It is simply gorgeous! Quiet, safe, gated parking, garden, views, etc. etc. If you want some luxury in a place of your own, this is highly recommended! https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5364680

Another decent place in San Cristobal de las Casas (for about 10% the price of the above one): http://www.hostelworld.com/hostelde...obal-de-las-Casas/63202?sc_sau=sfab&sc_pos=13. It was quiet, clean, cheap, hot water, safe, nice location. No parking; however there is cheap safe parking to be had fairly close by.

Managua, Nicaragua- http://casasanjuan.net/en. Have stayed here 4 different times over a ten year period and really like it. Kind of an oasis in crazy Managua. Clean, safe (locked and guarded gate), hot water, a/c, "nice" neighborhood, decent "home-style" food. Parking is on the street in front, so not secure; but it IS a nice street and there is a guard present.

BTW, I'd like to add that things can change fast, so check out recent reviews of places when you want to go, don't rely on older info/reviews!
  6. BikeMex

BikeMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola Solohobo,

thank you for the very good information. I totally agree with your information.
    I traveled the world for 8 years and lived 2 years in Nicaragua and now in Mexico and I know all about you've written.

If you guys coming to the Puerto Vallarta area on the pacific coast of Mexico and you need a safe place to stay, information about spare parts or a mechanic, drop me a line. We have here safe parking and (mostly) a room for you.

We are here: http://www.bike-mexico.com/home/where-we-are/

Safe travels and enjoy your time.

Saludos J├╝rgen
  7. Lifes2short

Lifes2short Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wife and I spent 9 weeks in San Cristobal in Feb/March this year. We started out with a couple of nights at the Rosco backpacker hostel (http://backpackershostel.com.mx/en/), you get a free night of shared accommodations if you're on a bike or 50% off a private room. Jorge who runs the place spends part of the year here in Canada and the rest in San Cris. Super nice guy and definitely worth a stop. We also stayed at the Hotel Posada which is on Clemente Robles for a few nights. This place was 350 pesos/night with secured parking inside. Clean, although we had a funny experience checking in where the lock on the door to our room broke and most of our stuff got locked inside. The kid working there had to climb a ladder outside to get into the room and had to drop our gear down over the balcony.

We then decided to get Spanish lessons at the San Cristobal Language School (http://www.sancristoballanguageschool.org) and also got accommodations thru them up the road from the school. It was a bit away from the centro which was actually nice. Our place was HUGE with secure parking, you could probably fit 5 bikes in the garage if needed and a stunning view from the top of the city. Internet included it was 5000 pesos per month. Even had a 20L jug of water delivered to our door within 30 min of calling for 19 pesos.

There are definitely lots of other hostels and probably hundreds of hotels in town so it's not difficult to find a place to stay that's within your budget.

We loved San Cris, very mellow pace here.
  8. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    Hola from the other side of the planet.
    We'll be heading your way in a few months, and while this thread looks to be a great resource :getiton - the OP's list by town or region seems to be very out of date - most entries go back several years. I guess he just got bored of updating it?
    In light of flei's comment about things in CA changing fast - how much can we trust the apparently very useful recommendations - :confused or is it likely that most hotels have changed hands over the past 7-8 years and are now just transit camps for people-smugglers? :lol3
  9. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos!

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Contact inmate Sjoerd Bakker and ask for his motel/hotel guide. Also link to iOverlander.com for motels and other traveler information. You can download the waypoints to your computer, or they offer smart phone applications.

Buen viaje!
    pceire32 likes this.
  10. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Precis I assume that by OP you mean Nata Harli with his data from 2007.
    I would say that you could put a good amount of trust in the location and availability and those prices as a reasonable approximation even today.
    Nine or ten years is not likely to bring a massive upward change in most of the prices for the lower-end-price -range hotels . At least that has been my experience over the last 35 years in Mexico and C.A..
    I have slept in hotels there 20 years ago and have come back for a stay recently to find the same hotel still existing and in some cases the price , converted to US dollars has not budged very much. Some are actually the SAME price and a few are , incredible but true a bit lower .
    Certainly there will be hotels which have closed, abandoned or have been demolished for new development , and some will have gone upscale, some may have gone to seed too, degraded .
    That prices are so stable is amazing considering that in the US hotels which back then went for $20US may now be charging $60. To $80.
    Either their "funny money" is worth a lot more than is given credit for or the US prices are gouging the guests.
  11. CommanderDave

CommanderDave Kick Ass Adventure Rider

Oddometer:

Hello Precis, I used Sjoerd Bakker's book last winter. Arizona to Panama and back. It's pretty good with most of his recommendations for older places in the center of town. That is where I liked to be so I can walk around the town square. A lot of these towns have had the same thing happen to them as here in the USA. That is, the main highway has bipassed the town. Out on the highway is where the "business" class newer motels are with significantly higher prices. The thing is, Sjoerd Bakker's book gets you going. After a week or two you get the "rhythm" of finding motels on your own. Be advised that these older, cheaper motels are bare bones. You check in at some of them and they hand you a TV remote, a towel and a roll of toilet paper. If you tell them you don't need the remote control they look at you like your the one from a 3rd world country. Lol! Also they may not have hot water or if they do it may have a electric tankless suicide heater on the shower head. Lastly, a place with AC may cost you double what the place w/o AC costs. It's an adventure! Throw a leg over the bike, twist the throttle, and see how 70% of the world lives....dave
  12. Precis

Oddometer:
    :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup
    I should expand: "We" consists of my wife, teenaged daughter and I all on similar DR650s; while not a fan of glamping, my army days of sleeping in a riverbed between two tarpaulins is largely - I hope - in the past. And tough as they are, the girls do appreciate a clean bathroom.... Some of the places we've stayed in Africa, the door's already been used to feed the fire....
    pceire32 and SkizzMan like this.
  13. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have stayed in what a lot of folks would consider " rough" hotels in Mexico, but I don't think I have ever stayed in one that wasn't spotless
  14. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope I'm doing this right.

This is an awesome place to stay, the owners (Mike & Cholie Patterson) used to own the Del Borrachio Bar & Grill in Loreto but started this place about a year ago. They are good friends of many Baja legends who stay there including: Malcomb & Alexander Smith, Andy Grider, Larry Ragland, Ricky Johnson and many more!

They can be reached via e-mail at: Mikeycholie@Gmail.com

1. State: Baja California Sur
    2. City: San Juanico/Scorpion Bay
    3. Hotel Name: Cowabunga Bar Grill & Bunga Lows
    4. Address/directions/coordinates: In town, follow signs
    5. Rating: 10
    6. Comments on Location: Awesome spot in town walking distance to everything
    7. Rate: Casitas = $20 usd Apartment = $30 usd
    8. Secure Parking? yes
    9. Hot water: yes
    10. AC: yes
    11. Fans: yes
    12. Service/Language Spoken: English & Spanish
    13. Overall impression: A VERY cool place to stay with awesome people!
    14. Date of Visit: 1-20-2016
    15. Website of Hotel: FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1556151387962715/

Dan Diego and SkizzMan like this.
  15. hardroadking

hardroadking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Jurgen with Bike - Mexico/Nicaragua,
    I think for most of us that know how to use the internet, finding the name of a hostel or hotel in any city is quite easy. The more difficult part is getting accurate information regarding what accommodations are included and if they work (breakfast, hot showers, air conditioning, fast internet, secure parking etc..) and what the prices are for the various levels of accommodation. If you could add that information to your posts, then they will be more valuable and useful to us here at ADVrider, especially those of us who plan to be traveling in the area of your properties. Unfortunately, when that type of information is purposely left out of a property description by the owner, it sends up a red flag and makes me think you are charging more for your accommodations then they are worth. I did check your websites and there is no information about any accommodations, only bike rentals. So if you are proud of your accommodations and believe they are a good value, then share the good news so we can decide if it will fit our budgets and if it will be good a value for us too. Gracias Timoteo
    Precis likes this.
  16. loxsmith

loxsmith Good ol days my arse

Oddometer:
    Ex. Little village called Brisbane, Australia
    I have got to share that buying these books "HOTELS IN MEXICO AND CENTRAL AMERICA" is the best money I have spent in a long time. These guides have saved me a fortune and a lot of headaches.
    The day I get to the Southern limits of these guides will be a sad day

I have but 1 suggestion, make them available in spiral bound for convenience

I am currently in El Salvador

Thanks again Sjoerd Bakker

Glen
  17. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
  18. Precis

Oddometer:
    So this thread has been revived.
    I can report that we are now back on the other side of the planet, having ridden 39,000km through 16 countries and had an absolute ball. We laughed every single day, we met wonderful people, we saw sights unimaginable to those who refuse to travel, we heard laughter in most conversations - and we did indeed use iOverlander and further north, Sjoerd's book - though we did find a few places now closed or demolished.
    Now, if US Customs would just sort out their inefficient systems so we can get our bikes back...
    pceire32, jimmex and SkizzMan like this.
  19. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pics or ...you know.
    SkizzMan likes this.
  20. Precis

Oddometer:
    What, all 9000 of them?
    Having a bit of techno-challenge - there's a good reason I ride a DR you know....
    Wait, if I ask the witch under the stairs to throw some bones, maybe that will work...