Hotels near the Seattle Cycle World show

Discussion in 'Canada' started by helikron, Oct 27, 2005.

1. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    The Cycle World show is in Seattle 02-04 December. I'm going. Anyone else?
    I'm wondering if any of you have a favorite hotel near downtown for less than $100/night. I'll be spending plenty of loot down there, so economizing on hotel is in my interest. I've stayed at the Moore Hotel when cycling/solo, but this trip has my lovely woman coming to roost, too. Need to upgrade a little for her consideration.
    Any suggestions? Oh, and the show is at Qwest field/arena, reasonably near downtown.
    thx for the help,
    Burke
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I go there every year. I live in Vancouver, 2 hrs north, so make a day of it.
    As for the hotels, you can't beat Motel 6, they are everywhere. They have a website, and you can see where they are. Qwest show hall is right by the new baseball/football stadiums, sort of south of downtown. Actually, I consider it downtown, but I don't live there. I don't think you will find any cheap hotels downtown area. The inexpensive [ but clean] ones will be out on Interstate 5. Plan on getting a taxi, or a cheap rental car.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  3. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Steve,

Your info is welcome; I'll look into the Motel 6 and ask if they'll "Leave the light on for me."

I'm moderately familiar w/ SEA downtown, and at this point I'm not terribly set on staying in the immediate area since we'll have her wheels while we're there. I'm looking into shuttles to/from the event, possibly from the Fremont or U Districts since we have friends in those neighborhoods with plenty of dining/nightlife around. I loathe downtown parking, so it's a 6-of-one/half-dozen thing.

I'm somewhat familiar w/ your area, too, though not so much Vancouver. I keep my sailboat and kayaks in Point Roberts, WA, and all of my shopping and provisioning happens in that area. I'm not at all timid of crossing into Tsawassen or Steveston for groceries and chandlery items, though I take advantage of my Alaska residency re: sales tax and GST.

Thanks again for your suggestions, we'll get it handled before too much longer.
    See you at the show!

peace,
    Burke
  4. kbasa

kbasa data is the new black Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Make sure the Motel 6 isn't a welfare hotel.
  5. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Hanh? What does that mean?

edit: figured it out. M6 rents to welfare recipients on an extended term. Can make M6 less pleasant to stay at where this practice is the norm.
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    KBASA is right. You may get one of those, with the inherent possibilities. The police know of these places, and would be happy to tell you.
    Funny you should mention Pt. Roberts, I was there a couple days ago. My buddy has a post office box, for the same [gst & sales tax] reasons.
    If you do get a car, you will have to pay for parking, I think 10$. Bikes park free. There is a great craft brew public house across the street from the auditorium street entrance, Pyramid. Their IPA is VERY much above average. This might make a taxi from the university district a better idea, when coupled with the parking fee.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  7. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Steve G;
    Good words.
    Taxis or shuttles are the ticket, for sure. I loathe downtown parking and slush-hour stop-n-go. Makes me crazy.
    I've eaten at the Pyramid brewhouse; it's conveniently nearby when I've gotten off the WA ferries, and friends always know where it is if we're meeting before a ride or other connection.
    After living three years in Oregon I'm such a devotee of the PNW brews I keep buying them here in AK. I can readily get Pyramid, Deschutes (Quail Springs... perhaps my fave) and Rogue. Arrogant Bastard when I'm feeling a little vain, too. Bridgeport IPA out of Newport, OR, right along the harbor... when I was at OSU in Corvallis I kept my sailboat slipped only two docks away and spent many a hearty "study session" there with charming co-eds. Made overnighting easy, for sure. Funny how boats and bikes are good like that?
    An old roommate from Corvallis is hosting me and g.f. while in SEA, so the lodging thing is taken care of. Thanks all for the input, and if there's a pre-show gathering of any sort the first round is on me! :beer
    best,
    helikron
  8. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    If you've booked a hotel through Ambassadors for this event take a close look at their confirmation. On mine it indicates that the reservation was for $105 per night at the Crowne Plaza but there were a couple of ambiguous notes on the same document and long story short ...it's more money.
  9. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Hey 'ya Legion,
    Didja get the tix? I'm on a 11:00 flight from FAI to ANC, thence SEA. Which flight are you on?
    I've got my rooming booked, but the Crowne looks like one of those places a guy should stay in at least once in a lifetime.
    Hell, half the hotels I've ever stayed in I got comped for the room in trade for fixing heat/AC/doors/electrical. They'd offer some bullshit rate and say, "oh, that room's AC is broken" or some such... I'd fix it and they'd give me the room.
    It worked REALLY sweet at the Alyeska Prince hotel. They were so embarrassed that they gave me a weekend's worth of ski passes to keep it hush-jush. Ha ha ha!!
    So seriously, when might we meet at the show?

h
  10. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Pm'd you, Helikron. I'm thinking lunchtime on Sat? I stuffed my cell # in the PM and scratched yours down at the same time. First one to catch the other wins. :1drink

Thanks again for the care package. They're just the ticket(s)!

11. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    G'morning Legion,
    I've just returned to Seattle from Point Roberts. Got the boat sold and cash is in hand for show schwag! I need to make a couple of stops but I'll try to be at the show by 13:00.
    Hope to meet you there.
    h
  12. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    go to the West forum for other seattle show info :1drink