hours on a use trials bike.

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Hair, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Hair

Hair Talking Head

Oddometer:
    Hi guys is a 150 hours on a used 2T trials bike to many?
    Seems that one can climb a lot of rocks in 150 hrs.
  2. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
    Fall off a lot of them too! :lol3
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  3. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on the type of hours - but TYPICALLY, No. Trials bikes lead a very easy engine life as compared to other bikes. The TYPE of hours usually comes hand in hand with overall condition - but even then, the motor may be fine and its just the body work beat up from falling.

I tend to look at WHO did the hours. Is it a 50 y/o novice rider? probably pretty easy hours. Good to go.
    Is it a young up and comming expert rider, who practices big hits everyday? - probably a tough life with lots of highly stressed components....pass. Unless, its dirt cheap and its for your crash crazy kid...
    jonnyc21 and Huzband like this.
  4. leanin

leanin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It depends on how the bike was ridden and maintained. If the bike was used for trials and was properly maintained, that definitely isn't too many hours. Our typical trials ride is 4+ hours and most of the time the bike is running at low rpm. Unlike a MX bike that is typically hammered most of the time, trials bikes spend most of their time at low rpm.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  5. leanin

leanin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ditto what laser said. :D
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  6. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    +2 :thumb
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  7. 2Trider

2Trider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figure I have about 250hrs on my '07 Sherco
    With fresh plastic/stickers would look nearly new
    Just replacing the kick lever now cause the compression of the motor has killed the original one.
    And the stock shock wore its self out then broke now replaced by a TRP upgrade:clap.

with....
    -Good Syn premix
    -Fresh fluids as needed
    -Linkage greased
    -Air filter cleaned...dirt/water in Motor not good.
    These bikes are good to go for a long time and many many hrs.

So hrs really means nothing ...it is about how it was treated and looked after/maintained/parts replaced etc.

If it is clean, motor tight, clutch not slippin, suspension links tight, seals not leaking, decent rubber. no big gouges in fork tubes...etc...you should be fine and good to ride.

I will say the component quality is no where near the offroad dirt bikes so just use your eyes and knowledge and not worry about hrs but real time condition.
  8. Jim Winterer

Jim Winterer n00b

Oddometer:
    Of the regularly ridden trials bikes in my garage, I've never had the heads off of a 1985 350 Yamaha and two 1997 GasGas 280s. All three have jillions and jillions of hours, many of them in competition, and they run great.

If someone has ridden a bike that has been used for 150 hours, I'd thank them for going to the trouble of breaking it in for you.

I suppose it is a good idea, but I don't know many trials riders who keep track of the hours on their bike. Usually the fairly active riders will do maintenance after riding them for a couple of outings.

Someone I compete with did install a nifty gadget on his Honda-Montessa that keeps track of the hours for him, but that's the only one I've ever seen on a trials bike.

Jim Winterer
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    kinda new to this list, but not so new to trials
  9. Jim Winterer

Jim Winterer n00b

Oddometer:
    As long as I'm here, I just came across this video of current world champ, Tony Bou, practicing:

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']http://www.photobysergio.fr/bou-santa-perpetua-video.html[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']I got to see Tony ride at some of the world-level (FIM) events held in the U.S. And yes, even HE puts his foot on the ground now and then. But it is a jaw-dropping treat to see him ride.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Cheers,[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Jim Winterer[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']St. Paul, Minnesota

[/FONT]
  10. neilking

neilking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figure the first year I rode I rode about 900 hrs and rode at least 600 hrs last year. So 150 hrs is no time at all practically speaking. Of course some people can tear shit up in 5 min.
    alpineboard and rokhopr like this.
  11. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Got your eye on one Hair? :dunno :ear

Careful...it's addictive!! :thumb
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  12. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats some serious "seat" time Neil.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  13. neilking

neilking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to do something cause I couldn't ride worth a darn when I first started. Still can't ride all that well!
  14. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Martin Matejicek just posted this:

Screenshot_20181101-095325.jpg
  15. Beatprojim

Beatprojim Beatprojim

Oddometer:
    My 2013 Sherco I sold with 300 hours and now has about 350.
    My 2014 Sherco I sold with around 95 hours and now is around 140.
    My 2015 Sherco I sold with 180 hours and now is around 240.
    My 2016 Sherco I sold with 50 hours and now is around 85
    My 2017 Sherco I sold with 169 hours and is about 175
    All bikes got hour meters at birth. All were sold to friends so I know how they are doing. Normal maintenance. Never a failure that wasn't caused by me. (crash induced breakage).

I am 59 and ride clubman level so I don't put a lot of stress on a bike.

A young friend who is much more talented and harder on the bike has to replace wheel bearings due to the side loads from lateral moves.

Can't ask for better reliability.
  16. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is another thread on this trials forum with some different examples, this is from memory, 1 guy said he has gone 1000 to 1500 hours on his bike and still going strong, guy #2 said same for 2000 hours and still strong on it , Guy #3 said he had something close to 3000 hours and still going strong. I personally know some one with 1500 hours and it is just starting to hear a little slap on the top end. Yes on the type of rpm riding and methods of riding.
    I poke around so slow for hours at a time, that am not going to do some thing unless I hear/feel something funny, or get to 1000+, and do some rethinking. Another method is to check compression with a gauge , each year and take reference, make a note in your log and watch it. ex: 10:1 comp = 10 x 14.7 baro= 147 PSI approx. do this w/cold engine 5 or 6 good hard kicks. Had an 09 beta evo 290 that had plenty of use/unknown hr count, and its compression check was 150 psi. Of course gear oil changes and not having the air filter slip off helps plenty as well.
    jonnyc21 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  17. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yinzer Moto likes this.